MS Ramdisk driver under XP(unknown registry path)

DAEMONXX

Hello,

i need help with installation of MS ramdisk driver under XP

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/257405

- here is no info where add this entries to registry,(no path...)

- DiskSize, DriveLetter...

instal from this package - not complette (xp not supported)

instal from original windows drivers is complette, but not working

after add Items to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Ramdisk\Parameters and restart - not working

if i change original xp files RAMDISK.INF and  RAMDISK.SYS to files(+dllcache) from top ms link - not working.

All is installed (controller+volume), but RAM disk is not visible in UI and can´t configure it.

What is the registry path for the configuration?

Thx

Edited by DAEMONXX

Ok, solved - this must be recompiled for XP.

I try it with WDK 7600.16385.1 and RAM disk is under XP SP3 now working

-but max size is only 32MB...

- in pnp.c is changed FILE_DEVICE_VIRTUAL_DISK to FILE_DEVICE_DISK

if you want to try it, dwnload is in the attachment

1/Extract all files from archive to any folder and copy here your ramdisk.inf from \WINDOWS\inf\ directory
2/Delete or rename ramdisk.sys in \WINDOWS\system32\dllcache
3/Add new hardware-->yes hardware is installed-->add new hardware-->select from list-->view all-->,from FDD-->.use folder, where is extracted this driver and install it.
4/ ! NO allow automatic repair this custom ramdisk.sys from CD, when asked !
5/Import SETTINGS.reg to registry and reboot PC

XP_RAM_disk_drv.rar

Edited by DAEMONXX

Well, historically that is a (mostly unuseful) SAMPLE code for a very limited in features (and with more than one hiccups) RAMDISK driver.

JFYI many years ago Christian Ghijselinck took that code and little by little made it into an actually working driver, however nowadays we have much better RAMDISKs around, here is a list of them:

http://reboot.pro/topic/1507-ramdisk-and-filedisk-drivers/

more than a few of them are Open Source, so if you are into making a new driver you can have some inspiration.

jaclaz 

OK, I am not programmer(perhaps "repairer") - it was just an attempt 

This sample is not applicable only due to size restrictions - work only on FAT12 mode with max FAT12 limit 32MB.

Extended functions(defrag,scandisk,format...) are not necessary here - it's a ramdisk(after reboot is content deletet)

When switch it to FAT16 mode(need code repair),this extend the size to max 4GB (64k x 64k) and this may be applicable

----------

Yes, I know, that there are a lot of other functional solutions,but original XP ramdisk.sys is not sample.

Why does not work and why is implemented to XP install CD, when is not working?

Edited by DAEMONXX

Yes, I know, that there are a lot of other functional solutions,but original XP ramdisk.sys is not sample.

Why does not work and why is implemented to XP install CD, when is not working?

I don't get it. :w00t:

The original XP Ramdisk.sys[1] does work nicely though it needs a registry "patch" and it is limited to 512 Mbyte (not because of itself, but rather because of some limitations in the loader(s)) the size issue when booting is seemingly with the version of the loaders, see:

http://www.911cd.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=25389

http://reboot.pro/topic/9474-busting-the-myth-about-ramdisksys-xp2003/

As often happens, it is not clear what is your "final GOAL" (NOT the way you believe you should use to get to it).

Care to detail that (the final GOAL)?

It is possible that it can be reached through other paths.

jaclaz

[1] Not really, I am actually lying :w00t::ph34r:  SP0 and SP1 were never AFAIK/AFAICR tested