Windows 10 Build 10061 Observations

NoelC

I've upgraded two test systems to Windows 10 TP build 10061 - one a VM with "Pro" and the other a real machine with "Enterprise".

Observations so far:

1. There seem to be a few bugs.  I doubt this version will be suitable for the slow ring unless they release a bunch of Windows Updates to fix basic problems.  I don't use the Windows start menu (preferring Classic Shell) but when I tried to use it things didn't seem right at all.

2. These build updates always undo a whole bunch of tweaks and registry changes that have to be re-done to make the system more useful.  The ones I do seem to still apply.

3. For some reason the Taskbar is now very thick, and doesn't seem to respond to the configured theme colors (nor do desktop window title bars seem to be able to be colored).  This doesn't affect me much as I auto-hide the Taskbar anyway.

4. The system tray bug where the hidden tray icons wouldn't show if the Taskbar was set to auto-hide seems to be fixed.

5. Classic Shell seems to work okay, though I no longer see any of the Metro Apps listed.  Not a big deal for me, I don't have use for such Apps.

6. Aero Glass 1.3.2 DEBUG extension for Win8.1 Desktop Window Manager seems to work, but only in fallback mode after failing to find symbols online.  This is usable, though occasionally renders a few artifacts in the title bars.  I've had to redo my theme atlas file as the positions and sizes of some of the graphic elements have changed.  But the good news is that there's still enough of the theming engine in place to actually be able to make the desktop elements look decent.

7. I've had Internet Explorer crash (on this site, using this editor) with Experimental mode enabled.  I haven't tried (nor am I particularly interested in) Spartan.

8. I've had a fair bit of success trimming the number of running processes.  I've got it to where my VM is running 50 or so just to have an empty desktop, using about 1.2 GB of RAM.  I have installed some server software (Subversion Edge) on my Enterprise test system, and I have been able to settle it down to 63 processes running (roughly equivalent to the VM, since Subversion Edge starts quite a few processes), using about 1.5 GB of RAM.  There are still a fair number that are candidates for further study, and ultimate trimming.

9. All the Windows "legacy" desktop applications I've tried seem to work okay.  I don't sense any changes in the Win32 environment.

10. Overall performance seems just about the same as build 10049 to me.  Not better as some have reported.  Of course, everyone does different things.  I don't run games, for example.

I guess my observation still holds that if Microsoft doesn't mess too many more things up I could probably find a way to live with Windows 10 as it is to do my software engineering business work.

-Noel

Here are some updated features of 10061 from previous builds, so far I have had few issues.

~DP

"Start"

The Power button is now showed above the All apps button 
There are some new icons 
It is now possible to resize the start menu 
Now has two columns of apps instead of one fat column
You can now resize start 
Tiles for Win32 apps no longer take a color based on the icon of that tile, but follows the window color 
Transparancy can be disabled 
Recently installed apps are now displayed on the top of the all apps list 
Health & Fitness is no longer pinned to start by default
Improved Mail, News, Calendar and Xbox apps

"Internet Explorer"

Major improvements to ECMAScript 6 support (from 73% to 82%)
Default function parameters 
Rest parameters 
Spread (...) operator 
RegEx "y" and "u" flags 
Generators 
Proxy 
Function "name" property 
String.prototype methods

"Project Spartan"

Project Spartan has been updated from version 0.10 to 0.11 
You can now find your downloads in the download manager 
You can now open Internet Explorer from within Spartan 
The "Add to" dialogue has been improved 
You can now save PDFs you opened in the browser 
Spartan now has an about:flags page with new options compared to Internet Explorer

"Desktop"

The taskbar and start menu have gained some transparency and opaqueness
The TaskView button has a new icon 
The search bar is now the full hight of the taskbar 
Some icons have been updated 
The taskbar, start menu and action center now have a black system theme 
You can now enable and disable the color of the taskbar and startscreen 
There is a new calendar fly-out for the system tray 
The notification center now takes on the color you've choosen for windows and the taskbar 
Windows no longer take on a color and are now always gray
Solitaire is back! (via Cortana)

I still can't go "Full Screen" in VMware with build 10061 (as with 10049).  Apparently Microsoft has changed or broken the API that VMware tools uses to resize the display.  It's unfortunate, because I'd really like to test multi-monitor support.

My Win 10 TP Enterprise installation has now requested Activation twice.  It's not supposed to need activation at all, per the documentation.  The first time I just used the Enterprise activation key via the normal UI (e.g., SLUI 3), but the second time it required:  slmgr.vbs -ipk PBHCJ-Q2NYD-2PX34-T2TD6-233PK

Edit:

Another observation. 

The Task Scheduler Library list is nearly empty - yet some things that were scheduled before the upgrade (e.g., Aerohost) are actually running.  I wonder how...

-Noel

Edited by NoelC