Use of Local Account Being Phased Out?

NoelC

Microsoft has clearly been pushing setting up Windows with a cloud account.

We see it in the fact that increasingly difficult shenanigans are needed to figure out how to set up a system with a local account.  From what I'm reading the process has changed to become even more obscure.

The increasing difficulty implies to me, as with other things we've seen Microsoft do during previews, that the capability to set up and run long-term with a local account is being systematically eliminated.

Clearly they DON'T want us setting up new systems with local accounts.  But is it going further than that?  Will it become impossible to do by release-time?  Will perhaps running with a local account be considered a temporary-only condition just for transitioning after upgrades?

Do you think people, including business, will all just cave in and set up with a Microsoft account, or does this truly mark the end of using Windows "Home" or "Pro" for anything other than frivolity? 

If the latter, what's happening with the Enterprise edition that will make it different?

-Noel

Well this last leaked 10056 build forces you to have a 'Active' internet connection and a 'Microsoft account', there is a work around if you want to remain as a Local account by doing the following. ~DP ;)

Local account setup over Microsoft account
 - Connect to internet >> Choose 'Setup a new account'
 - At bottom choose the option 'Connect to my account later'

Edited by DosProbie

People are starting to call me a "conspiracy theorist" and "paranoid", so I guess I'll shut up about what I see as a major turning point in privacy.  I'd have thought the folks around here would be more concerned about this, but I guess I'm just a dinosaur.

-Noel

People are starting to call me a "conspiracy theorist" and "paranoid", so I guess I'll shut up about what I see as a major turning point in privacy.  I'd have thought the folks around here would be more concerned about this, but I guess I'm just a dinosaur.

-Noel

Hey your entitled to your opinion as others are entitled to there's.

~DP

Don't worry Noel, you're not alone.  I just have not jumped on the Win 8.x+ bandwagon, I'm still happily on Win 7, so I haven't had to use a MS account to log onto my PC. :)  The only reason I have an account is that I set up a hotmail email account back in 2001.  I rarely use it, but the account is still viable.

Cheers and Regards

-Noel

Stick to your guns Noel.  Last year I had left this forum, because a couple strong arm types were angry with my speculation of how security issues/concerns might affect Windoiws XP's end of life.  But see everyone should get a chance to an opinion, and so should you.  (And yes, submix8c, I apologize for going off the handle with you.  I don't fault myself for why I did it, but I certainly overreacted. Fair? :) )

In the end though I find I'm more of a similar opinion to you folks than on the Ten Forums, where everyone seems to exalt Windows 10 TP.  One fellow, Jeff (who goes by Bunny J) though nice enough, seems to agree with absolutely EVERYTHING that Microsoft presents with 10 TP.  He acts almost too agreeable, like the way a fan boy would be.  It becomes irksome after awhile, because I really don't get what's so great about 10.  In fact, I prefer 8.1 with Classic Shell.  But all of their forum members seem to clump together to go on and on about 10 TP's greatness.

Though a little bit OT ...

Last year I had left this forum, because a couple strong arm types were angry with my speculation of how security issues/concerns might affect Windoiws XP's end of life.

And now, a year later, how did your fears pan out? :) [gentle jibe - heheh]  Seriously, I was glad to see you back Jody.  I knew you were sincere in your beliefs, though I didn't share them.  I also thought our conversations were always civil and well thought out.  My only objection was the way you continuously brought up your fears.  But then I guess you would say that you objected to our continuously refuting them.  So in the end I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. 

In the end though I find I'm more of a similar opinion to you folks than on the Ten Forums, where everyone seems to exalt Windows 10 TP.

Bottom line is that most of us here are of the opinion that, in general, as long as it meets your needs with the hardware you have and the software you want to run, you should be able to use the OS you want safely, as long as you put some thought into it, as suggested by Noel here.  And at MSFN, as far as Windows OS are concerned, that includes everything from Windows 95 through Windows 10.  To each their own.

Cheers and Regards

Interestingly, I just set up a new test system with Windows 10 - this time with Windows 10 Enterprise TP.

It initially installed as version 9926 then updated itself to 10049, so I can't really say what's going on with a clean install of the very latest versions (hopefully we'll get new slow ring builds and ISOs one day soon), but I found:

1.  I had no problems creating a local account.  Microsoft pulled a little fast one though...  The "New Account" setup screen on my 1440 x 900 monitor had a scroll bar I needed to operate before I saw the proper link to "Sign in without a Microsoft account", which is dim by comparison to everything else.

2.  Overall the system seems somehow a bit less aggressive about making your decisions for you, though that might just be me getting used to fending off Microsoft's will at every turn.

The ultimate goal for this machine is to become a small Subversion server system, and Collabnet's Subversion Edge works nicely on it so far.  I was a bit surprised that when the dust settled the whole thing isn't using as many resources as you'd think, given how much runs normally in Win 10 just to boot to the desktop.

-Noel

I don't know how they expect this to be mainstream because

A:) Not everybody has internet that has a computer

B:) Unless they make the internet have 100% uptime with no hiccups or interruptions, it's nothing but a big headache when services go down.

Edited by Tommy

Under their new business model, instead of making money by selling the OS, they will now make money by selling apps. Without a MS account, the store won't work.

With the VL versions they still will be making money off the OS itself.

Under their new business model, instead of making money by selling the OS, they will now make money by selling apps.

And advertising, which will be much more effective (i.e., they can charge a premium for well-targeted ads) if they track you.

-Noel

Windows 10 is obviously designed (or intended) to be used in a "connected" world. I do all my work in an isolated network, and during OOBE, Windows puts up an error! It says "Something went wrong" when it tries to find the MS server login/create an account.

It is the same behavior as Win 8.x, where if you have no network access, you can just skip to the local account screen. IIRC Windows 8 did not consider no network access to be an error. :P

There's a direct (if VERY convoluted) way to instruct it to create a local account, by the way...

And here we thought Microsoft hid the option in plain sight before...

Win10Build10074Setup1.png

Win10Build10074Setup2.png

Win10Build10074Setup3.png

Win10Build10074Setup4.png

Win10Build10074Setup5.png

-Noel

So basically, if I set up a friend's PC (or a stolen one :ph34r:) or a leased one I have to lie? :w00t:;)

This device belong to my company

This device belong to me

I know I am picky, mainly because I am very picky, but all this time I thought that ownership and possession are not the same thing.

Particularly in times of (senseless) BYOD, I guess it will manage to have a lot of grown ups (good, honest people) cry, being it additionally "reinforced" by the :

Who owns this PC?

The choice is important, and it isn't easy to switch later. If this machine belongs to your organization signing it with that ID ensures you have access to important resources.

In 2015 IMHO:

• the choice should be NOT at all important
  • it should be trivial to switch from "that ID" (which one? :unsure:) to anyone else, any time
  • it should be NOT MS business to ensure that I have access to important company resources or somehow prevent it

jaclaz