FDISK shows full drive size, FORMAT shows 4 gig.

bizzybody

But the OP said they used a Win98 Boot Disk (first post), so...

Yep :yes:, BUT it failed and later he (after having *somehow* created a partition with "partition logic" which is IMNSHO a very good program :) but not the "first choice tool" for this, because it may well create something incompatible) he attempted to install (or rather transfer) a Windows 95 on the disk, and he is having issues with Windows 95 (and he explicitly excluded using a drive overlay).

As a side note the usual rule of the thumb when doing digital archeology :w00t: is to use ONLY tools that were in common use at the time, in this case that would amount to either "Partition Magic" or, as suggested RPM (Ranish Partition Magic Manager), but we still have to see the actual data to be able to (maybe) understand if the issue is in the BIOS, in the OS (real mode) or in the OS (GUI/Protected mode) in (I doubt it, but you never know) the specific disk, a combination of any of them or *something else*.

jaclaz

EDIT: Corrected (evident) typo :(.

Edited by jaclaz

Agreed. And FWIW, OnTrack (supplied by Seagate) to create a DDO (etc) is here:

http://cmech.dynip.com/filebase.bbs/SEAGATE/

Scroll down to "dm956a" and I *hope* that's the same one I have. It appears to be and *will* require a good floppy/floppydrin/OS to create the disk.

Side note: can't check b/c my Floppies and/or drive is acting up and my original is an IMA I created from (I believe) an original looong ago.

Edited by submix8c

Er... well... "RPM" actually stands for Ranish Partition Manager... (and Part244 is the best version of it). :whistle:

Yep, slip of the finger :blushing: , BUT IT WAS ORIGINALLY posted fine:

@bizzybody

Get RPM (Ranish Partition Manager) and check how the disk is seen by it (both in LBA and Large mode) under the actual OS you will be using.

jaclaz

All in  all this is good since the OP EXPLICITLY said that he DOES NOT want a DDO.  :whistle:

However, in case of dubiously working  floppies, they are actually not really-really needed:
http://reboot.pro/topic/12255-need-help-with-virtual-floppy/

Actual "release" is here:

http://reboot.pro/topic/12255-need-help-with-virtual-floppy/?p=107738

one can use memdisk or grub4dos fine once the floppy image has been made.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

The drive has no limiting jumper, unless it's the position not documented. There's only one jumper installed for single/master. The drive is new enough that any new motherboard contemporary with it would have been capable of at least 128 gig so around then the drive companies quit the 32gig clip jumpers, or at least quit documenting them.

I used AOMEI on it and so far is seems to be working - but I haven't tried the DOS mode SCANDISK on it yet.

But anyway the BIOS issue remains. It auto detected as LBA and FDISK saw and configured the full size, but *something* is off that made FORMAT only see 4 gig. I've never seen that before, always with a size limit it's affected BIOS, FDISK and FORMAT.

Yes (true), you can't "move" the HDD to another "good" PC. Once there, you're stuck there. I used it to remove the DDO (xovly) for "new use".

That is why I wrote my own DDO. It does not prevent the HDD from being used in any Computer that can support the HDD as a Boot Drive or otherwise.