How to avoid being "upgraded to Win 10" against your will:

dencorso

@NoelC I love your ui .

For me  stable win10 build 1607 is worse i donot know how other people are happy .

just some funny way saying it .

Its my little play , i am not Shakespeare

Win10: usser wanna do rendering

user : Yea!

Win10: SorrY! Something has went wrong . I got attacked by BSOD .

.....after some time pc started

TasKMGR: Dear system is consuming 7.6Gb out of 16GB

user :: Oh my god

Win10: Sorry! This is not my fault . 99% devlopers at ms are not in this world,  went to hell . They thing people have resource so we can waste it .

Taskmgr :: Garbedge and cortana are responsible .

COrtana(Rude lady):: Hey ! You crack headed user and apps will you keep quite

..........all apps started fighting ..........................booom! something went wrong

user :: as a anger formatted with 8.1x64

LOL :)

something-happened.jpg

I think the blue screen with hex codes having been replaced with a : ( frowney and especially messages like the above really say everything anyone could need to know about the direction of Windows 10.

WindowsReleasesLikeChairs.jpg

-Noel

LOL! :lol:
Sorry I've been away for a while, but interesting to catch up with this thread.
Obviously Windows 10 still provokes very passionate reactions from people!

Interestingly I did for a very short while have a completely stripped down version of Windows 10 running on my netbook, whose graphics hardware has no Windows 10 driver support. I found out that the only way of running Windows 10 on it was to completely remove all the apps, which were causing the (Windows 7) graphics driver to crash, even on going to the desktop.
So, I had a Windows 10 installation that was pretty much "bare" and it did work fine. I decided that there was no point in having Windows 10 if it was that stripped down though, and went back to Windows 8.1, which does work with the Windows 7 graphics driver apart from a few apps which do still crash it.

I can't really comment on what Windows 10 does "behind the scenes" when it's being used, because I don't have the necessary technical knowledge, but from what's been said, updating all the system files from version 6.x to 10.x was presumably more than just a cosmetic change, and Windows 10 is actually a completely new version of Windows NT, like going from XP to Vista was (5.x to 6.x).
If as a consequence of this it's doing things "under the bonnet" that previous Windows versions didn't, that's obviously a cause for concern and something to be aware of, but I only feel confident to comment on its usability rather than things like that.

I don't actually have any real problem with the latest version of Windows 8.1, despite what I said before, once it's had the necessary tweaks. Certainly the original release of Windows 8 was pretty terrible I thought, way too biassed towards being used with touch screen devices, but fortunately 8.1 and its subsequent update did do a lot to address that.
I don't know what Windows 10 is like in touch mode, I've never tried it, but I assume it goes back to being more like the original Windows 8.

As I said, I've had no stability problems with Windows 10, perhaps I've been lucky! In fact editing with Adobe Premiere, the graphics driver (which was always the latest version) often crashed on me when dealing with difficult HD material when I was using 8.1. Since going to Windows 10 and updating to the Windows 10 driver, I haven't had a single crash, but that may well be due to other factors than the change of operating system of course!

A few things I do miss from 8.1. I actually liked the way full screen apps opened next to each other, like clicking on a link in the e-mail app would open up the metro version of Internet Explorer in a split screen with it, which I actually thought was rather cool once I'd got used to it, especially if you've got a really big screen! I wish that more of the Windows 10 apps had a proper "full screen" mode. Some do but by no means all. The news app is better in 8.1 for one, it fills the whole screen and scrolls horizontally, much better than the the boring-looking Windows 10 windowed version IMO.
I found the 8.1 "charms" a bit annoying sometimes, and still do on my netbook when using the touch pad instead of a mouse, where it's very easy to have them pop up when you don't want them. I'm sure there are ways to disable them, but it would be nice if disabling them was an official settings option.

So, once I'd got Windows 10 looking the way I wanted it (as I said before, out of the box it looks awful IMO!) I was really quite happy with the way it looked. I was glad to find that the old Control Panel was still there, although I do use the new one a lot of the time and don't really have a problem with it. I do prefer it to the Windows 8.1 metro version. I like the fact that they restored the old Windows Backup facility, which they removed from Windows 8. I guess that was a bit of a sop to those who'd upgraded from Windows 7, but I guess it will now stay.

>Windows 10 is actually a completely new version of Windows NT

Not really.  The kernel, based on compatibility with a large number of programs that cut deeply into the system, isn't much different.  There ARE whole new subsystems hung on it though - such as the Universal Windows Platform (Metro / Modern / App API).  You yourself mention being able to use Windows 7 drivers.  I've had the author of a firewall package tell me that hooking into the low level networking structure is really no different since Vista.

From a technical perspective, Microsoft appears to have gotten away from changing the core operating system components and is really just hanging more and more "applicationy / cloudy" stuff on it.  Presumably that's easier than real OS work.  And it's why no one outside Microsoft is proclaiming any real state of the art advancements in Windows.  It's not fundamentally any easier, as you've noticed, to get anything important done with Windows 10 than with earlier versions.

Ignore versioning.  That's now completely marketing-driven.  Instead, judge a new operating system's core change by how much it is destabilized by new releases and you'll be more in the ballpark.  Frankly, Windows 10 has never really been unstable overall, just the new parts can be a bit iffy.  I'm sure there must be mandates inside Microsoft that say "Hands off!  Destabilize the kernel and we'll put you on a customer support telephone for a year!"

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Well... one difference I consider big is that the "system" user is not the one with highest access rights anymore: NT6 added the now famous "TrustedInstaller"... and, IIRR, on NT6 the drivers and services run on a different "machine" than the logged-in user session (but since one can impersonate the "TrustedInstaller", it's just another layer of obfuscation, not really any true added security, IMO... lots of people will differ, of course). I remember there was a good summary of those changes somewhere, but I cannot just now remember where. When I do, I'll sure add it to this post, so more later. :)
Later edit: here it is! :yes:

14 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Just as a matter of interest, was there a big change to the kernel between XP and Vista, when it went from NT5 to NT6?
:dubbio:

Yes Vista was a huge change and improvement to the kernel and all of Windows internals: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technical_features_new_to_Windows_Vista#Kernel_and_core_OS_changes. Also read this document: http://download.microsoft.com/download/9/c/5/9c5b2167-8017-4bae-9fde-d599bac8184a/kernel-en.doc And this three-part series: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc162494.aspx Although Vista was a huge step backwards in OS servicing and some parts of the Explorer shell/user experience.

Even up to Windows 8.1, the crappiness in the user experience could be fixed with third party apps and many of the technical changes were good (although not all of them). Even the servicing of 8.1 is way better than Vista or Windows 7. But in Windows 10, nothing is worthwhile. Everything is crap. It has nothing of value for me, is full of junk, super annoying rude behaviors & things way out of control! :angry: A OS super-disaster. I would rather change careers than deal with this junk!! :realmad:

Edited by xpclient

Wow, yes, big changes indeed! Thanks for the links.
No wonder so much more recent software now won't run on XP.
So I guess that despite the system files' versions all being changed from version 6 to version 10, Windows 10 isn't even now NT 7, letalone NT 10! :lol:
I wonder now if there will ever be another major update to the underlying NT kernel, as MS are still maintaining that Windows will be called Windows 10 now forever, and if there is what form it will take. If they put out major updates that break compatibility with legacy hardware that's already running Windows 10, I think they would be hard pushed to continue calling the OS Windows 10.
:)

One has to consider that Dave Cutler, who invented NT as a resurrection of his virtual memory system for Digital Equipment Corporation, is now 74 years old.  There are not really that many folks on the planet who can do serious operating system work.

-Noel

I guess that probably means that there will never now be another complete top to bottom rewrite of Windows, except possibly for a new professional/business only version of the OS, as NT was originally. When MS decided to move home users onto NT with Windows XP, they painted themselves into a corner a bit probably, because they now can't radically change the OS without potentially making a massive amount of hardware that's out there incompatible and obsolescent, which would be business suicide.
:)

With Win10 and its so called "telemetry" "features" they have produced a system that I think of as a "Spyware Suite" posing as an OS. By that measure, and they will no doubt want to ramp that up going forward, I think they are committing suicide as it is.

Also there was a past MS CEO that was famous for coming on stage and ranting the mantra, "Developers, developers, developers...!" Just now it looks like MS has changed the mantra to "Obfuscate, obfuscate, obfuscate...!" Eventually it will go tits up for them with that attitude. So suicidal tendencies in abundance there too.

Somehow all this talk of Microsoft failing to deliver what people want and need with Win 10, but rather their focus removing user control and increasing snooping made me think of this:

1864655cc6yqk20aa.gif

Apparently the "Creator" version is just around the corner.  I find myself at the lowest level of interest in a new operating system release ever - and I have run every version of Windows since 1.0, and DOS before that, and RSX and VMS before that, and MVS before that, and...

-Noel

Ok, I tried Windows 10 for a few weeks as my daily driver, and I am DONE. I know I use an old PC with old compontents, but the complete OS became unresponsible to be, two times. The only solution: force reboot with power button. I have never seen that with Windows XP, 7 or 8, those OSes don't have any problem with my PC.

What's next? THIS: http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/9/14872464/windows-10-onedrive-ads-inside-file-explorer

They put ads in the start menu, on the lock screen, and in the file manager?! And when you use Chrome or Firefox, Windows 10 is going to tell you Microsoft Edge is raster. They COMPLETELY lost their minds, I am done with Windows 10. When I've got enough time, I will downgrade to Windows Vista, 7 or 8.1, anything better than this OS. (Which is becoming a service full of ads with 2 updates every year which break your system).

Disgraceful, if they start putting forced advertisements into an operating system that many people must now have actually have paid for, I will not be pleased, and I will seriously consider "downgrading" as well.
:angry:

Edited by Dave-H
Addition