How to avoid being "upgraded to Win 10" against your will:

dencorso

A friend sent this to me today:

Microsoft Reveals Real Cost Of 'Free' Windows 10

Phil

Gordon Kelly's good work warning about Microsoft's shenanigans is especially valuable, because he writes for a media outlet that reaches a more general, less "techie" audience, and so helps to get the word out to the broader public.

--JorgeA

Like you, I'm exploring making the switch to Linux if and when running Windows 7 becomes untenable.

There are really 3 options... Linux, BSD (FreeBSD, OpenBSD or NetBSD) and maybe Illumos (former OpenSolaris).

And ... well ... maybe ... Hackintosh ???

I've heard of BSD but not of Illumos (OpenSolaris did sound vaguely familiar). I'll explore those too and see what they're like. Thanks for the tip!

--JorgeA

I've heard of BSD but not of Illumos (OpenSolaris did sound vaguely familiar). I'll explore those too and see what they're like. Thanks for the tip!

Well, those are the true choices, because they are truly different kernels, so the difference is where it matters. Of course, all accept GNU utilities and various desktop interfaces, like gnome, KDE and the other contemporary ones, like Xfce, and also good old CDE (it's been resurrected, and now is open!), for the old-fashioned.

FreeBSD, NetBSD and OpenBSD are truly old timers, and really time-proven, too.

Apparently, the most up-to-date representative of Illumos is OpenIndiana.

CDE-8.png

pcalvert and dencorso -- I'd like to read that article about the cost of Win 10, but Forbes blocks me since I'm not a subscriber.  Is it available anywhere else?  Thanks.

I am not a subscriber as well but I can access it.

Maybe it depends from the browser or your location.

You may want to copy the link, paste it in a new browser window and then re-paste it and reload the page, my good ol' Opera has issues with the site but Chrome based browsers should work (just checked with Iron).

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

pcalvert and dencorso -- I'd like to read that article about the cost of Win 10, but Forbes blocks me since I'm not a subscriber.  Is it available anywhere else?  Thanks.

Look to the upper right of the webpage - there might be a "Continue to Site >" button that you need to click.

glnz, are you using an ad blocker? Forbes.com recently tweaked their website to block users who are using ad blockers.

I'm using Ghostery on Pale Moon and can visit the site by unblocking just a few ad servers: DoubleClick, LiftDNA, Media.net. I have all the others blocked, and can get in no problem even though I'm not a subscriber. You may want to play around with various combinations of blocked and unblocked servers.

--JorgeA

Well, those are the true choices, because they are truly different kernels, so the difference is where it matters. Of course, all accept GNU utilities and various desktop interfaces, like gnome, KDE and the other contemporary ones, like Xfce, and also good old CDE (it's been resurrected, and now is open!), for the old-fashioned.

FreeBSD, NetBSD and OpenBSD are truly old timers, and really time-proven, too.

Apparently, the most up-to-date representative of Illumos is OpenIndiana.

CDE-8.png

Thanks, den. The OpenIndiana screenshot has a definite Windows 98 "look" to it.

I'll look around, download some live CDs, play around and get a feel for them.

--JorgeA

Well I'm using Opera 12.17, with the AdBlock extension and the Opera Content Blocker enabled too, and the Forbes articles all still work for me!

I'm not even seeing the nags about the blocking.

:yes:

A friend sent this to me today:

Microsoft Reveals Real Cost Of 'Free' Windows 10

LOL...

Forbes1.png

Click [ CONTINUE TO SITE> ] and see...

Forbes2.png

Hey Forbes, take a hint:  Your content isn't interesting enough to suffer through the ads.

-Noel

Same here, and since I'm using a HOSTS file on my router like you, it's not even easy to unblock whatever it is that they're checking for.

I have found that Forbes appears to do this for some articles and not for others, and from certain sites and not from others.  If you want to read the article, copy its URL to the clipboard, open a new tab, type "forbes.com" into the address bar, and press [Enter].  The Forbes homepage should load right up.  Then paste the address to the article into the address bar and hit [Enter].  The page should open right up despite the ad-blocking (at least that works for me in Firefox).

www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2016/02/05/free-windows-10-true-cost/

Edited by Techie007