How to avoid being "upgraded to Win 10" against your will:

dencorso

Hello,

Back in topic, I have a "little" problem cleaning-up a Win 8.1 core.

I removed nearly all patches since April 2015, but one refuse to uninstall and I can't find a way to remove it.

"KB2976978 is required by your computer and cannot be removed" kind of message when I do a Wusa /uninstall /kb:2976978 /norestart

Any help appreciated. It's not so important since I block the connections on my internet router, but I would like to cleanup this box too so it does stop contacting sqm.telemetry.microsoft.com:443 so often.

Ridrok

Assuming that "rp88" isn't actually you, there's someone else here with the same problem.

Unfortunately the general consensus there seems to be that certain updates just cannot be uninstalled.

For what it's worth, when I had Windows 10 briefly on my netbook, one of the first things that put me off it straight away was that the first block of tiles on the start menu was named "Life at a Glance".

"Not my life" I immediately thought!

:lol:

I have been running 8.1 without updates since the beginning of August no trouble yet. I have been running Windows 7 with out updates since last year when I reinstalled it (mostly out of laziness I kept getting updates that broke certain drivers & did not feel like vetting each update) No major issues with that system, but I have very stagnate systems once I get them setup the way I want them (software/Settings) and everything is working as expected I usually create an image. If something happens to come up and I have to change anything I create an image prior and then preceded to make the change and test it dose not happen very often.

Just recently I switched away from the Windows 8.x and higher for privacy issues that I read on MSFN. Windows 7's Performance is faster and much better then what 8.1 offered me and I ran it for over 3 years, Its nice to switch away to something else.

Bakuchris, you might not be all that safe in switching back to Win7 unless you do a fresh install and never allow it to update ever. Try this for size, Windows 7 Backports from Windows 10

The writing is on the wall with respect to Microsoft, they've started this and they ain't gonna stop for no one. They'll slip in privacy bursting updates as they please and you the user will end up being like a dog chasing it's own tail trying to avoid it all. It's not the tail that's the problem it's Microsoft.

Personally I've switched to Linux Mint. Once you get used to its quirks (it only looks like that cause you're coming from Windows) it's actually a very useable and capable system. As time passes I'm more and more getting to like it. Computing has become fun again. Forget about Microsoft guys, they're only going to screw you (and deep down you probably know that anyway - so why persist in inviting your own abuse).

And this time, per reports I'm reading, if you DO let it run, it presents a dialog with no obvious "opt out" choices.

The ONLY thing you can do is close the **** window.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/12/15/microsoft_sneaky_about_pushing_windows_10/

-Noel

Here's the window The Register is reporting about:

windows_10.jpg

Deceptive, misleading advertising IMO. Comments on those four checked-off items:

• Your files will be right there where you left them

Yeah, if I could actually open them, now that you nuked my applications when installing Win10.

• It's fast, familiar, and more secure

Fast? NoelC's extensive performance testing suggests otherwise. Familiar? So why do my windows all look totally different -- flat, dull and opaque, with borders so thin I can't tell where one overlapping window ends and the one under it begins. And what's that monstrously large rectangle full of little squares that takes over most of my screen when I try to open the Start Menu? And, more secure? I dunno, we heard the same line of patter when Vista and 7 came out.

• It has built-in free anti-virus protection

Oh yeah, that protection that all the test labs use as their baseline because it provides the least protection of all known AV applications. Putting MSE in place of my chosen professional security suite, goes a long way toward neutralizing whatever measures you just above said you had put into the new OS to make it "more secure."

About the lack of an obvious way to cancel the "up"grade, the article in The Register says:

This is not a new idea; it's called the assumptive sell and has been in pop-up ads for years. But it's not the kind of tactic you'd expect from a respectable firm like Microsoft – or at least, not until Windows 10 came along.

Microsoft is taking on more and more features of shady marketers and Windows 10 is the definition of a PUP.

Microsoft had no comment on the new pop-up practices, referring us instead to an earlier blog post on the matter that states:

"Windows Update is the trusted, logical location for our most important updates, and adding Windows 10 here is another way we will make it easy for you to find your upgrade. Before the upgrade changes the OS of your device, you will be clearly prompted to choose to continue."

They're destroying that trust by exploiting it to foist on users an OS that countless numbers of them do not want and have no interest in.

--JorgeA

(Le Sigh...)

KB3102810 for Windows 7 SP1
KB3112343 for Windows 7 SP1

Sadly, you're Fresh Win7 will go on for-EVER during Windows Update.

Two posts -

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/174869-svchostexe-cpu-hogging/#entry1113671

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/174439-windows-7-x64-home-premium-update-problem/#entry1113655

Yes, I had to or ELSE forget about Windows Update. I blame magicandre1981...

http://www.christian-reincarnation.com/Win10E.htm

November 3, 2015

KB3102810 Aids  upgrade to Windows 10.

However (as I soon found out)

http://www.askwoody.com/2015/kb-3102810-booby-trapped/#comment-64914

:crazy:

And the second one -

http://windowssecrets.com/forums/showthread.php/173330-Today-s-new-Windows-Updates-KB3112343-on-Win-7-Pro-machine

Notice that *just* WUA v320 does *not* "fix" your Install for Updates and you *still* get clobbered. I'm guessing MS is kind of screwing everyone in spite of the fact that Win7 is being supported until 2020.

Side note - and that was all on a fresh Win7SP1u on a Core 2 Duo 3ghz and 4gb RAM. 50% svchost for an SCCM fix? WTF are they doing there? And WTF dows an SCCM fix have to do with Win7? Are they USING it now to push Updates out? Yeah, a wee bit afraid to hook my Dell OEM up now (not the same PC). :realmad:

I suppose I'll have to uninstall that "fix" now to see if it goes into a tizzy again? Didn't note this thread on either of the above two posts either (dad-gum it!).

</rant>

• 3 weeks later...