How to avoid being "upgraded to Win 10" against your will:

dencorso

AFAIK, the TrustedInstaller can do anything, isn't it?

You can set deny permissions to TrustedInstaller account on the folder.

In the instances where people have taken over ownership of things from TrustedInstaller, has there ever been a case when it has regained ownership on its own?

I cannot recall the specifics, but yes, during the Tech Preview period I have seen it reset permissions during a Windows Update where I have specifically disabled access. 

The more I think on it, I believe it was an attempt on my part to keep Windows Update from returning the Desktop root namespace under This PC (which I notice is now back yet again on my test system).

Thing is, a privileged program can always Take Ownership then do whatever it wants, just as you can as a privileged user.

We have entered an era of "what Microsoft wants, Microsoft gets".

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

I cannot recall the specifics, but yes, during the Tech Preview period I have seen it reset permissions during a Windows Update where I have specifically disabled access. 

Thing is, a privileged program can always Take Ownership then do whatever it wants, just as you can as a privileged user.

Well, it still needs to be tested specifically.

jaclaz

Go for it!  I'm doing my part.

You mean installing that crap OS (even if for the sake of scientific research)? :w00t::ph34r:

No, thanks, sorry, but even if I happen to do crazy and potentially dangerous things (often just for the benefit of other people or to learn something new) there is a limit.

Next time I will be forced to acquire a new system with Windows 10 pre-installed, I may do some experiements with it (before installing to the machine a suitable OS), but right now I have no plans for such new hardware.

jaclaz

Wait, what, you mean you don't implicitly trust all those journalists who say it's something you really should install, honest?

I have to say, though, a lot of the new things I'm learning lately are not pleasant things.  Can't say I've ever fooled with firewall software quite so much before, though...  That's (a little bit) fun at least.  Don't you just crave learning about all the IP address ranges to avoid?

-Noel

Well, I don't want Windows 10 on my home PC because I'm a WMC user and Windows 10 doesn't have WMC anymore. (Actually I'm surprised nobody has mentioned WMC yet as a reason not to "upgrade.")

So I removed the Win 7 updates listed by NoelC and confirmed that the GWX*.* files are now gone. But oddly, I was never offered my "chance" to "reserve" Windows 10. I wonder why? Have I just been lucky?

My copy of Win 7 was a "system builder" copy because I built my PC from components (case, motherboard, etc.) bought separately (like in the "old" days). Even came with a "Genuine Windows" sticker I got to put on the case! Does the "free" upgrade not apply to OEM or "system builder" copies of Win 7? They did let me get the Windows 8 Pro upgrade for only $15, and WMC for that for another $10 (but Win 8 is on a separate HDD; I decided to go back to Win 7 until I "needed" Win 8, and I haven't needed it yet).

Or did M$ detect WMC's daily downloads of TV guide data and decide I wouldn't be interested since I obviously use WMC?

Seems like most Windows 10 fans just say "use VLC" or some such.  It is surprising how much reduction in functionality people are willing to put up with.

I used Windows Media Center a while back, with a TV tuner card, but long since found that card unusable as our cable service in this area switched to fiber optic and IPTV, which is a closed system (except to their set-top boxes).

-Noel

Seems like most Windows 10 fans just say "use VLC" or some such.  It is surprising how much reduction in functionality people are willing to put up with.

Not to mention how unstable VLC (or Media Player Classic) is in many respects (I know, I've been testing how audio players handle playlists I've been writing from code and VLC is pretty terrible at that compared to other things).  Even in my upgrade to Windows 8.1, I discovered after the fact that it broke my DVD player app which worked fine for me in XP.  I haven't had a good option to play DVDs on my computer since.

Seems like most Windows 10 fans just say "use VLC" or some such. It is surprising how much reduction in functionality people are willing to put up with.

Not to mention how unstable VLC (or Media Player Classic) is in many respects (I know, I've been testing how audio players handle playlists I've been writing from code and VLC is pretty terrible at that compared to other things). Even in my upgrade to Windows 8.1, I discovered after the fact that it broke my DVD player app which worked fine for me in XP. I haven't had a good option to play DVDs on my computer since.

But, PROGRESS!!! you don't need a computer to play dvds or videos you need it for Facebook and to feed MS and the NSA your digital life.

But, PROGRESS!!! you don't need a computer to play dvds or videos you need it for Facebook and to feed MS and the NSA your digital life.

Indeed, the literal purpose of the computer has become that.  Heaven forbid that anyone expect a reliable tool to get things done that gets made more reliable with time and updates instead of worse.   This has always been the case, even back to XP with the file locking bug that they never fixed, and I had to run a stupid TSR to counter.  Not to mention, Explorer work is always a PITA and if I didn't have Classic Shell, 8.1 would be unusable.  Do you think they would make it better?  No, I have to run a stupid TSR now because KB2982791 broke one of my "working" programs because they introduced a bug in how it handles temp files.

But none of that matters to Microsoft, just keep hemorraging cash for upgrades and personal data for the NSA (not to mention the obvious opportunity for corporate espionage given Microsoft by all this crap), and all is well to them.

My only concern would be that a restart could fail or that you wouldn't be able to use Windows Update anymore. :unsure:

Already found a situation where a Windows 7 Home Premium PC had started downloading Windows 10 automatically. User has stopped the download, but now the OS can't install other updates as they are in queue.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/aff8119f-f5e7-41b2-8723-951d010917a9/windows-update-is-forcing-a-win-10-update-on-my-win-7?forum=win10itprosetup

Interesting. My friend whose laptop I found had what appeared to be a complete Windows 10 installation downloaded on his hard drive, has never seen the "Upgrade to Windows 10 Home" entry on Windows Update, although it looked to be ready to go!

Other Windows Updates do seem to be still installing OK under manual control, I'm glad to say.

Slightly off-topic, but I spoke to another friend of mine a day or two ago, who has an elderly Windows XP PC, which has been malfunctioning. He now seemed to be convinced that he "must" have Windows 10. I asked him why he was so keen, after pointing out to him that he wouldn't get a free upgrade from Windows XP, even if his machine would run Windows 10, which is extremely unlikely of course.

He replied that he'd seen an item on TV where people were talking about Windows 10, and they were saying that it's the ultimate version of Windows, to the extent that it will be the last version, and there will be no new versions in the future!

Supposedly these were spokespeople from Microsoft, which I find rather hard to believe! Anyway my friend now believes that anyone who hasn't got Windows 10 is being left behind, as it is the future, now and forever!

So, the propaganda is working, at least on the non-technical gullible!

:lol:

Edited by Dave-H

Yes I understand now. I must downgrade to Windows 10, because it is better. Yes better in every way conceivable. My masters at Microsoft Know what is best for me, and I shall install every update they send out regardless of what it dose to my system. Just joking!

So, the propaganda is working, at least on the non-technical gullible!  :lol:

Propaganda works!!!

Intense propaganda, repeated intensely works even on those who know better, if they don't keep eyes wide open all the time.

@helpdesk98: You must move on to 10, because Ten is True! :whistle:

:ph34r: