How to avoid being "upgraded to Win 10" against your will:

dencorso

This site seems to have the release date.

Apparently all it has is a number of (educated) guesses, some hearsay and nothing more:

When is the Windows 10 release date?

Frankly, we don't know yet exactly.

....the Windows 10 launch at the end of July....

....from Windows blog Neowin, citing sources claiming that Windows 10 will release to manufacturers this coming June

With all this in mind, it's safe to expect a Windows 10 release by the end of August. Or, technically speaking, by September 22 – the day before this year's autumnal equinox – if you want to put an exact deadline on it.

The release date will be in any among:

1. June
  2. July
  3. August
  4. September
  5. any other month

let's say that "exact" has another meaning...

jaclaz

All both those updates appeared to do (well presumably one of them) was to add a shortcut to my start menu called "Windows 10 Technical Preview".

Clicking on it just opens up the Windows Update page, and checking for updates shows nothing!

Goodness know what all that was about!

:lol:

All both those updates appeared to do (well presumably one of them) was to add a shortcut to my start menu called "Windows 10 Technical Preview".

With all due respect, Dave, there's a long way between what is and what appears to be... :P

Rest assured MS did much more than just that, and the fact that it isn't at all apparent isn't really that reassuring, IMHO.  :unsure:

Which is why I said "All both those updates appeared to do...."!

I'm well aware that all sorts of changes could have been made behind my back.

Good or bad remains to be seen.

I've now been on my main machine with Windows 8.1, and only KB3022345 was offered there.

No reboot was required after the update as it was on the netbook, so I guess it was KB3048043 which needed that.

No popups saying "Windows 10 is Ready" on the main machine as yet!

:)

• 4 weeks later...

Hm, KB3046480 for Windows 7 and 8.1 isn't listed in this thread.

Update helps to determine whether to migrate the .NET Framework 1.1 when you upgrade Windows 8.1 or Windows 7

This update enables the system to determine whether to migrate the Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 to a later version of Windows when you upgrade from Windows 8.1 or Windows 7 to a later version of Windows. This determination is based on the usage of the .NET Framework 1.1.

It updates one file, ahcache.sys, specifically.

Has this one been found to be benign?

-Noel

Hm, KB3046480 for Windows 7 and 8.1 isn't listed in this thread.

<snip>

It updates one file, ahcache.sys, specifically.

Has this one been found to be benign?

:blink:   Thanks!

Fixed! :yes: Sorry, it had eluded me...

It's not clear whether it's benign or not... :unsure:  but, at least in the case of 7SP1, it changes files galore, including SMSS.EXE and NTOSKRNL.EXE, so it does seem pretty intrusive, really! :wacko:

I tried to "willfully" upgrade a Windows 7 system to Windows 10 (as people have reported they have been able to get the IP) but it isn't working. No notification and none of the GWX programs do anything. I installed every possible update I could find sans the Intel Video driver.

I will try Windows 8.1 next.

I tried to "willfully" upgrade a Windows 7 system to Windows 10 (as people have reported they have been able to get the IP) but it isn't working. No notification and none of the GWX programs do anything. I installed every possible update I could find sans the Intel Video driver.

That's for the moment... I doubt MS would be so utterly incompetent as to push so many pieces of intinsicaly unfunctional software...

I will try Windows 8.1 next.

There's probably an algorithm for spreading out the pain.  Other people are definitely seeing the "Reserve Windows 10" prompts from GWX.

-Noel

A friend of mine has a Windows 7 Home Premium laptop, and he's had the "Get Windows 10" icon appear in his system tray.

He asked me "do I want Windows 10" and I told him to wait until I'd tried it!

I'm used to Windows 8/8.1 so it won't be such a shock to me as it will be for him who's used to the Windows 7 GUI.

I've registered an interest in the Windows 10 "upgrade" on both my netbook and my main machine.

I'll try it on my netbook first, which is very under-powered, as apparently from what I've read Windows 10 has efficiency improvements that should help on less powerful machines.

I'll be doing a full ISO backup first of course so I can hopefully roll back to 8.1 if necessary!

:)

I can try a Windows 7 Home Premium test next week. I may test Windows 8.1 Core if the Pro test doesn't yield any results. I don't like the RTM period that exists... it just isn't enough time to test everything that I want, which *now* includes how this whole upgrade process will work with existing systems in the field.

I'll be doing a full ISO backup first of course so I can hopefully roll back to 8.1 if necessary!

I wonder if Microsoft might make your 8.1 license no longer valid when you "upgrade"?

I think arguments of "they wouldn't dare do that" are all pretty much moot.

-Noel

I don't have any plans on doing this "Free" upgrade I just have no intrest. Now if I could get an install disk and do a clean install that might interest me. I have had very limited success with doing upgrades.