How to avoid being "upgraded to Win 10" against your will:

dencorso

I'm working on a Windows 7 SP1 x86 image and found it has KB3035583 and KB2990214 in it when looking at installed updates. When I mount the image and /GET-PACKAGES, only the KB3035583 on shows up. Is KB2990214 contained inside another update?

KB2952664

"Compatibility update for upgrading Windows 7"

This update helps Microsoft make improvements to the current operating system in order to ease the upgrade experience to the latest version of Windows.

KB2990214

This is the Windows 10 Technical Preview itself !!!

KB3021917

"Update to Windows 7 SP1 for performance improvements"

This update performs diagnostics in Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) in order to determine whether performance issues may be encountered when the latest Windows operating system is installed. Telemetry is sent back to Microsoft for those computers that participate in the Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program (CEIP). This update will help Microsoft and its partners deliver better system performance for customers who are seeking to install the latest Windows operating system.

KB3035583

"Update enables additional capabilities for Windows Update notifications in Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 SP1"

This update enables additional capabilities for Windows Update notifications when new updates are available to the user. It applies to a computer that is running Windows 8.1 or Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1). Before you install this update, check out the Prerequisites section.

KB2990214 is the actual Windows 10 TP... It may not behave as a normal Hotfix/Update. BTW, maybe KB2952664 and KB3021917 are lurking there, somewhere, too.

Since you have the image, and it's just a matter of redeploying it, in case things go wrong, do please try to remove those KBs, so that we find out how "removable" they really are (if at all...).

It isn't. KB2990214 is an update to the Windows Update Client. It is a pre-requisite (for now) in order to be able to "update" to Windows 10 when it becomes available.

From my understanding (so far) is that KB3035583 is the program that will show the notifications that Windows 10 is available. KB2990214 makes it possible to install it from Windows Update. It also may be that KB2990214 is required for it to show up in the update list? We'll see I guess.

PS: KB3035583 was able to be removed with DISM. Since the other one did not show up, I did not know what/how to remove it.

I find it a bit disconcerting to think how Microsoft might build in a requirement that all these updates be present.  Nothing says they have to make future Windows Updates for Win 7, 8.1 work properly without having installed these.  Most - but not all - are optional at this point and Microsoft has already advised against hiding the important one.  That one (KB2990214 for Win 7 and KB3044374 for Win 8.1) could lead to a potential catch-22:

A.  Hide it and have the Windows Update process stop working properly.

B.  Keep it and one day boot up the computer to Windows 10.

More info on that in the link Jorge posted before...  http://blogs.technet.com/b/joscon/archive/2015/04/14/windows-servicing-releases-april-14-2015.aspx

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

• 2 weeks later...

I have been out of the loop for quite some time regarding Windows 8 and greater so my info might be a bit off. I read somewhere that Microsoft is "giving windows 10 free for one year" Now if they are publishing updates that will eventually allow W7, W8, & W8.1 to automatically upgrade to W10 what happens when that year is over? Do you have to buy a licence then? The thought scares me, because at least in the article I read MS never specified what happens after that year so is that their way of selling the new OS.

Note: This could just be a crazy theory based on the extremely limited info I have on the subject.

-richie614a

The "free upgrade" license, which will IMO be worth every penny and not a penny more, is described by Microsoft as being valid for the life of the device. 

Note the implication of the wording here:  "This is more than a one-time upgrade: once a Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it current for the supported lifetime of the device – at no cost."

Whether in practice you'll be able to reinstall Windows 10 on that same device should you need to do so down the line, is anyone's guess.

My advice:  Become VERY well educated before deciding that this "free upgrade" offer is worth taking.  I have a suspicion you won't be allowed to go back!

Note my statement above and do your own research how much other knowledgeable users feel it's worth.  TRY Windows 10 yourself - for example in a virtual machine.  Do NOT blindly believe this is the same Microsoft that had users' interests at heart when they built Windows 7 and earlier.  They have turned openly predatory.

-Noel

Do NOT blindly believe this is the same Microsoft that had users' interests at heart when they built Windows 7 and earlier.

Hmmm. :unsure:

Are you really sure that what the good guys had users' interests at heart?

They have turned openly predatory.

As opposed to "not predatory" or "secretly predatory"?

As far back as I can go they seemed to me like always trying to do whatever they saw best for their business, and IMHO the fact that they produced something that was very widely accepted (and sold) is not necessarily due to their having "users' interests at heart", but more to having done the "right" choices (for their business) at the "right" moment.

jaclaz

It's all relative, but clearly rational thinking based on what makes sense technically has been replaced with thinking solely of trends and fashion.

I see it as very simple:  Bill Gates was a geek, and ultimately did things (that yes, were good for Microsoft business) that made good sense.  By comparison, when he handed the reigns over to successor marketeers and "businessmen" things no longer needed to make sense at all (while still being good for Microsoft business).

I think the transition to "openly predatory" has been fairly recent, with their previous state, ending around 2010, being more benign with a healthy dose of "don't quickly attribute to malice that which can be explained by incompetence."

-Noel

I must say that I'm surprised to hear that Windows 10 is likely to be another free update.

They offered the update from Windows 7 to Windows 8 at very low cost, and a free update from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1, but I assumed the latter was simply because Windows 8 was put out with so many things wrong with it, some of which 8.1 was an attempt to address.

I never thought that the next "upgrade" would be free as well!

:)

LOL! Well, after I posted my last message, I fired up my Windows 8.1 netbook, and a popup appeared in the top right hand corner of the desktop saying "Windows 10 is Ready"!

Surely not, I thought, and when I clicked on it Windows Update opened offering two optional updates, KB3022345, and KB3048043.

The former is 383 KB, the latter 612 KB, so neither of them is going to be a new operating system!

I'll install them and see what happens...........

I thought Windows 10 wasn't supposed to be out until much later in the year.

:)