Did You Get Windows Update KB3035583 Recently

NoelC

It's shown up for me.  Trying to research it reveals little beyond some "rah rah" info...

From https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3035583:

This update enables additional capabilities for Windows Update notifications when new updates are available to the user. It applies to a computer that is running Windows 8.1 or Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1). Before you install this update, check out the Prerequisites section.

Additional capabilities indeed.  This appears to be a downloader for presenting Windows 10 to you as an "Update".

If you accept this update, you might want to make sure you have your Windows Update settings configured so that it requires your permission before downloading/installing updates.  Otherwise you may just boot up Windows one day and find they've automatically "upgraded" you to Windows 10.

See also:

http://www.myce.com/news/windows-update-silently-installs-windows-10-downloader-75647/

-Noel

Yep,  if you install the update you will be seemingly the proud :unsure: owner of Gwxuxworker.exe version 1.0.0.1 which is the thingy that will download Windows 10 (and not only that, also ads/promotional messages :w00t::ph34r:, likely to the scope of letting you know how good Windows 10 is will be) more (same original source):

http://www.slashgear.com/microsoft-update-quietly-preps-windows-7-8-1-for-windows-10-06377434/

http://fossbytes.com/microsoft-adding-windows-10-downloader-to-your-windows-7-and-8-1-pc-in-new-update/

but the latter has a nice English screenshot:

windows-10-downloader-windows-update.jpg

jaclaz

P.S.: as a side note I find it funny the "translation" from the English "Get " to the German "downloaden" (or viceversa)

Edited by jaclaz

The concept of providing VALUE that will cause people to WANT the new thing is SO last century.  Now it's about pushing more than a foot in the door...

half-shear-sheep.jpg

-Noel

Windows 10 "Now with a free installation of adware"....

So does anyone have the syntax for a reg file disabling this so it will never install? I want to add it to my installation routines. I don't want anyone's pc I work on to ever see this.

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian

If you have a system where the update hasn't been hidden, you could try exporting the registry before and after hiding the update, then compare the results.

A registry search turns up these keys on my system, which seem interesting...

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing\ApplicabilityEvaluationCache\KB3035583-MappingPackage~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.3.1.15]
"ApplicabilityState"=dword:00000000
"CurrentState"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing\ApplicabilityEvaluationCache\Package_for_KB3035583~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.3.1.15]
"ApplicabilityState"=dword:00000070
"CurrentState"=dword:00000000

I don't know more about these except that they're there.

-Noel

KB3035583InImportantUpdates.png

The $64 question is whether Windows Update in Win 8 (or 7) will remain viable with this update hidden.  They don't have to make it so.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Somewhat related, another new update has shown up for me:

KB2976978

At the overview level it says:  "Install this update to resolve issues in Windows"

Just about as little as possibly could be said in 8 words.  And not particularly accurate unless you read "issues" as "things Microsoft needs to know about your system before pushing a Windows 10 upgrade".

In the Introduction section, it says:  "This update performs diagnostics on the Windows systems that participate in the Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program in order to determine whether compatibility issues may be encountered when the latest Windows operating system is installed. This update will help Microsoft and its partners ensure compatibility for customers who are seeking to install the latest Windows operating system."

(emphasis mine)

So the question remains...  Is this an update we want/need?  What changes in function will there be from installing it?  Implications to not installing it? 

This is not a tiny update - 36 files are involved!

Perhaps I'm getting paranoid in my old age, but when the company we've partnered with to deliver improvements to our computers starts becoming predatory, it CANNOT be perceived as good.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

FWIW, this update has a history of files from 2014 (see the link), and the file is currently marked as "v7", which tells me it's a long standing patch, especially if the Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program is involved.  I recognize that term from previous versions, so it's been going a while.  I see pages which indicate that Windows CEI can be disabled, so I can't say it's a new thing.

Somewhat related, another new update has shown up for me:

KB2976978

At the overview level it says:  "Install this update to resolve issues in Windows"

Some of the files in KB2976978 are old and some are new.

So I guess the $64 question is this:

Assuming one has a system they don't want Microsoft trying to "upgrade" to WIndows 10 via Windows Update...

What KBs should we hide?

• I've already hidden KB3035583 - the GWX update.

• Should I also hide KB2976978?  "This update performs diagnostics on the Windows systems that participate in the Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program in order to determine whether compatibility issues may be encountered when the latest Windows operating system is installed."

Will hiding the latter just break Windows Update?

Even if neither were hidden, since I ONLY allow updates I've manually initiated would there be a danger that Microsoft would try to update my workstation to Win 10 when THEY want to?

When a company you've chosen to partner with becomes predatory, when does it become time to revisit the original decision?

-Noel

Everything about that privacy-intrusive program is disabled on my systems.  But they push the update anyway.

What makes sense to we mere mortals and what Microsoft chooses to do don't seem to overlap much.  I guess we're supposed to believe that they're the true superheroes of the high tech future and we should accept that we need to be herded in order to get there.

Or they're just greedy and stupid.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC