What would you fix after Windows 7?

xpclient

Do you REALLY want to have to buy all new versions of your applications every time a new version of the OS comes out?

@NoelC  :D About what Software we speak here ? - Most "Payware" is like this that its made for the OS thats out now, and in the future (24 Month) - you mostly have to buy an Update for it ? - Take a look at Photoshop PS2... - ok, its for free since several month - but Adobe gives you an explizit warning that this software is written for Windows XP - and that you can get errors - by using it on Vista/7/8/10...

This was a 1500 Dollar Software before years (its still fine !) - so, - why i cant use this bugfree in Windows 10 ? - Did Adobe get me a Update for free, for my new Windows ?  - Nahhhh ;)

Why all that Midi, Sound, Dj´s and Musikmakers use still mostly XP ? - Why i cant install my Firewall ? - Why i cant play Homm2 ? - Why my old Wingman Joystick isn´t working anymore ? - Why i cant use my old FireGL ? - Why their is no driver, that works on my new aticard, and my onboardcard at same time ?  Why i cant use my old Soundcard ? TVCard ? - Why i have to hack the resolution for using my old CRT Monitor at correct timings ? ......... - this list is endless...... - cause MS allready forced me to buy new s***, - and with every purchase - i get more and more problems... - like with my actual HD7790... - there is only one driver for XP - and with this one, my system is slower than with the hd4770 i haved in before...

Software for me isn´t a problem... - you can use a emulator, or a VM, or a Second OS on your device to run it...

Edited by R4D3

JorgeA

Pivot was used in My Pictures & Documents folders, as in XP they were unfinished as project

ANY pictures that you had on ANY partition, were virtually linked and shown in My Pictures folder

thus with Pivot turned ON, you didn't had to search for pictures all over PC and partitions and whatever folders,

but ALL of them were "stiffed" (again virtually linked) into 1 folder, consider it as aggregated album

this is called libraries since Windows 7 ;)

vinifera,

I am at a disadvantage with the alternative workings of a OSX desktop as I have not used an Apple based desktop since their initial introduction around 1980. On Windows, I usually set stuff stored on the desktop as hidden and show it when I want access to it. With Gnome 3 on a Linux distro, icons and stuff on the desktop is not allowed unless a configuration is modified and so I store no stuff on the desktop on Gnome 3.

What I see you wanting is like a task based system when the desktop switches. Without my knowing of what OSX does about this, I see menus (possibly either as dynamic with desktop switching or the usual static type) as a resource for tasks. Though, what I see of both Windows (8 + 2) 10 and with Gnome 3 is that menus are rather lacking in functionality. The Gnome 3 developers looked into task based (virtual) desktops and seem to have given up on it. I have little confidence in Microsofts wannabe Desktop-Phone-XBox-Tablet-Netbook All-In-One OS is going to achieve any better.

If I get a chance, I will have a look at an OSX desktop. I believe KDE >v4.0 on a Linux distro has a task based system built in and may need to look into how they implement it into (virtual) desktop switching.

And a pretty bad feature, I might add.  Among other things, using Libraries can get File Explorer into a condition where it doesn't update as you change things.

Nothing wrong with organizing things into folders on hard drives.

-Noel

And a pretty bad feature, I might add.  Among other things, using Libraries can get File Explorer into a condition where it doesn't update as you change things.

Nothing wrong with organizing things into folders on hard drives.

I agree completely.

Maybe not bad, but badly implemented?  IF it worked correctly without causing errors I can see the advantage of using the libraries for data access, ie reading.  So seems convenient for a system used for a home theater.  The problem, as I see it, is using the libraries for data storage, ie writing, in that if your library is made up of folders from all over your system, when you try to write a file to the library, which of the various linked locations is used?  Is there a pop-up asking you to choose, is there a default, or what?  (Obviously, I don't use libraries. :) )  Anyway, as Noel said, it just seems more straight forward and less error prone to organize things yourself manually.

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt

Yes, that's what I meant; thanks for clarifying, bphlpt.  Abstractions can be quite useful, but they simply have to be well-implemented.  When they bring along negative baggage that makes using the computer less deterministic they're less than useless.  Like you, I don't touch Libraries after having given them their workout, then digging out of a host of problems they caused.  I find avoiding all the Explorer abstractions entirely (which I consider distractions) works best:

NoAbstractions.png

There's a kernel of goodness in Windows that makes it useful, but it's no wonder a lot of people think Windows overall sucks given all the unfinished junk Microsoft has hung all over it.  This "get it 95% done" philosophy Microsoft has always followed just doesn't yield an elegant experience.

-Noel

JorgeA

Pivot was used in My Pictures & Documents folders, as in XP they were unfinished as project

ANY pictures that you had on ANY partition, were virtually linked and shown in My Pictures folder

thus with Pivot turned ON, you didn't had to search for pictures all over PC and partitions and whatever folders,

but ALL of them were "stiffed" (again virtually linked) into 1 folder, consider it as aggregated album

its bit different

for library to work you have to INDEX it and indexer is slow a** piece of sh**

that not only writes down in another database location of these files that you index

but it constantly then reads them up again

Longhorn had advantage of winFS then, which WAS already DB

no indexing was required, it was read and linked instantly

win7 ain't doing that, not any win after that

Edited by vinifera

a combine version of windows xp and windows 7 would be perfect

win7 is great but have few features that less used therefor need to be less favorably accessable

Edited by aviv00

>lightness of OS

I got Win 10 just under 40 running processes and consuming a hair over 1 GB of RAM earlier today.  No OneDrive, no indexing, fresh bootup so that it didn't start a number of the things Microsoft feels comfortable leaving running...

Then I installed all my apps and subversion and stuff, and now it sits at about 50 processes and after having used it all day to run Visual Studio 2015 RC it seems to be chewing up 3.5 GB of RAM just sitting here.  Must be a few leaks still...

-Noel

Windows 7; taskbar + DWM + firewall, and XP's File Manager + lightness of OS = victory

I like file manager of windows 7 its more originated

also change the gui to look like windows xp would be simple and easily accessible

well win7 takes less

so whats your point ?

Simply that things are not getting better.

Recently I installed a Win 7 system on a new server (mainly because I got the server cheap without OS or disks, and had a Win 7 x64 license not being used).  It takes installing a fresh Win 7 to really drive home the degradations that have been pushed on us with the newer versions.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Windows 7; taskbar + DWM + firewall, and XP's File Manager + lightness of OS = victory

I like file manager of windows 7 its more originated

also change the gui to look like windows xp would be simple and easily accessible

yes but it is so freaking bugged that it annoys the s*** out of me

heres few things on top of my mind

1. folders and files are treated differently for keyboard-key-select

if i enter a folder with bunch of subfolders, and bunch of pictures in same main folder

if i press key S just to switch to folder with name S, since folders have priority

NO, idiotic win7 will go all the way down to first picture with name S, why ? - BECAUSE I didn't click on folder 1st

and then pressed S button

2. list view length

most known annoying s*** in explorer, you can have dozen short name files

but if its just one or 3 under different alphabet letter that are like 15 chars, then ALL columns will get length of those long names

just for lulz so you can scroll forever

3. item selection

god **** with this when you select a subfolder sometimes its not selected at all

so instead deleting "selected" subfolder, dumb a** s*** will delete your main folder

4. deletion hook

even if app that uses some file is closed, you will NOT be able to delete it or rename or move it

coz STUPID a** explorer.exe was somehow hooked to it

5. well known sorting

often when renaming something, explorer either auto-sorts item or doesn't at all

F5 won't help, you have to go to another folder and come back

there are more but ugh...

Edited by vinifera