Is there any motherboard with USB-3 ports with XP drivers?

Nomen

I thought it might be a good time to pick up some motherboards with XP drivers before they become unavailable. Something beyond socket 775, such as LGA 1150 or 1155 (or 1156?). What I've found (and what I'm thinking most here already know) is that the candidates is going to be limited to LGA 1155 boards with either series 6 or series 7 chipsets (aka Cougar or Panther point aka Ivy Bridge).

And why so many of these boards are micro-ATX form factor, I don't know. I would want regular ATX size.

When it comes to USB-3, there doesn't seem to be any 6-series (Couger) chipsets that have it, despite reading reports that came out in Q1 2011 that Intel was going to have USB-3 in some Couger point (6-series) chips (did that ever happen?). So now the candidates for "the last, best" motherboard for XP seems to be 7-series (Panther point).

But wait! I then come across questions as to whether or not there are USB-3 drivers for XP for 7-series chipsets. The answer seems to be - no! ?

So now I ask: Are there any motherboards with on-board USB-3 controllers that have working XP drivers for all motherboard devices - including USB-3 ports? Even if the USB-3 controller is a third-party chip (ie a separate chip, not part of intel chipset)?

Something else I learned is that except for some Xeon's, all Intel CPU's after socket 775 have integrated graphics controller (?!) Why did they do that? Doesn't that add additional cost (and heat) to the CPU that could be totally unnecessary if the CPU is used on a board with separate graphics card? Just how good is the performance of these integrated graphics processors compared to, say, a $50 or $100 PCIe video card?

Final question: What is the current state of porting Windows 7 or Vista LGA115x chipset drivers to XP?

Edited by Nomen

> See if this topic helps any. It mentions IvyBridge boards where USB3 works fine.

Dencorso wrote (in that thread):

> The i7 4820K / X79 is the most recent Processor/Chipset combination reported

> to be fully functional with XP x86, AFAIK.

Yea - but does that include USB-3 ports? Tested to be working in USB-3 mode (not USB-2) ?

In that other thread, esecallum says he installed XP on a board with Haswell chipset, and got a bunch of (!) in device manager - which was expected - including onboard audio (yet he claims his audio was working?) and also onboard video (yet he claims video was also working)?

So it's still not clear to me that onboard USB-3 ports work properly in USB-3 mode on Ivy Point (or Haswell) chipsets.

But if XP can run on Haswell - regardless of state of onboard USB3 or onboard video or audio - do all PCI / PCIe slots function fully under XP on Haswell board? What about Sata ports?

So it's still not clear to me that onboard USB-3 ports work properly in USB-3 mode on Ivy Point (or Haswell) chipsets.

They don't. Intel USB 3.0 does not support XP. All Haswell supporting chipsets include Intel USB 3.0 and none work at all on XP, unless in USB 2.0 compatibility mode.

Previous Intel chipsets did not include Intel USB 3.0. Motherboards based on those chipsets had 3rd party (usually Renesas or ASMedia) USB 3.0 controllers that do have XP full-fledged drivers, which do support USB 3.0 on XP, and work great.

• 5 weeks later...

I recently bought a used ASUS M4A79T Deluxe, ATX form factor motherbord and it has many both USB2 and USB3 ports.

From the specs it appears it is made with high grade compnonents. It is  made for AM3 CPU's but I don't see that as a drawaback.

It is (or was, last time I checked) available at Amazon, refurbished IIRC. Drive CD is available, I downloaded both XP and WIN7 drivers from ASUS. I even tried WIN 8.1 but I found that user interface is not made for people like me.

Edited by Roffen