Is Windows 10 now ad-supported ?

StefansART

Well, someone will figure out how to tame Windows Update, you can be sure of that.

For Win 8.1 I have everything about Windows Update set to disabled, and a little scheduled app called WUNotify that checks once a day and notifies me if updates become available, and auto-installs the ONE update I do want always auto-installed:  New Defender definitions.

The details of that are not important; just that it's almost certain to become possible to control one's own system once the dust settles on the release of Win 10.

I've just been testing 10074 with EnableLUA set to 0 and I must say, it's all working better than I thought it would.  If Microsoft changed nothing else (and considering I haven't nearly tested it enough to be sure) I could probably live with this as a replacement for Win 8.1 on my main workstation.

-Noel

• 2 months later...

Looks like our worst fears have been confirmed:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2953158/windows/microsoft-wants-you-to-pay-for-solitaire-again-in-windows-10.html

Surely this is only the beginning...

Love the writer's conclusion:

Honestly, if you want to pay for more energy in Farmville or an upgraded weapon in some online shooter, it’s your business. But it does seem a bit odd that Microsoft can make Windows 10—an entire operating system, mind you—a free upgrade, while asking you to pay to remove ads. If this is the future of Windows as a service, count me out.

Yup.

--JorgeA

Looks like our worst fears have been confirmed:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2953158/windows/microsoft-wants-you-to-pay-for-solitaire-again-in-windows-10.html

Surely this is only the beginning...

I wonder what tricks they have up their sleeves for making running older systems, under the old "bought a license, run it as long as you want" model, less attractive.

I'm sure their management thought that all the wonderful new Modern Apps that could only be run played on Win 10 would be the carrot, and who knows, for a large number of people maybe that'll be the case.

You'd be amazed the lengths to which some folks will go to buy coffee instead of supporting adware.

SolitaireOnWin10.png

-Noel