Is Windows 10 now ad-supported ?

StefansART

Is Windows 10 now ad-supported ? : Not all is sweetness and light: WinRT API guru WalkingCat/@h0x0d tweeted late last night: "ContentDeliveryManager used to be called "Suggestions for you," recently it becomes "Windows Spotlight," and it's used to show ads, apparently / it can show ads on your lock screen, Start menu, or when you do something like press Alt-Tab -- don't tell me this is how Windows 10 be free !?" He went on to tweet, early this morning: "The lock screen UI is implemented by the XAML app Microsoft.WindowsDefaultLockScreen and it supports using Bing wallpapers as lock screen image, complete with hotspots, with help from ContentDeliveryManager." It sounds like Microsoft has cooked up a new, sophisticated advertising delivery system that can pump out ads even when you aren't using your computer. I'd be willing to bet that's the financial rationale for giving away Windows 10.

That would make sense.  We are no longer the customers.  We are the sheep to be fleeced.

Apparently more execs at Microsoft want to be able to buy basketball teams, countries, space stations...

-Noel

• 1 month later...

I tested the news app in 10074, clicked on an article and spartan opend up. And before I even started to read the article this window pop up:

y4vp1lN.png

a true chock! A (tree) mega ad!

Edited by mikedigitize

And no pop-up blocker in sight.

I wonder what a "News App" can provide that a browser cannot.

It seems there is no desire to "test" the content delivery mechanism until AFTER a large number of people have "upgraded".

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Now that Microsoft is moving to free upgrades to Windows 10 rather than charging for the OS we now will have a ad supported OS with all pre-installed metro apps, that is also a big reason why they are pushing us to all have Microsoft accounts rather than local accounts so we will be forced to used ad supports apps to make up the difference for loss revenue.

~DP

Now that Microsoft is moving to free upgrades to Windows 10 rather than charging for the OS we now will have a ad supported OS with all pre-installed metro apps, that is also a big reason why they are pushing us to all have Microsoft accounts rather than local accounts so we will be forced to used ad supports apps to make up the difference for loss revenue.

~DP

Hear, hear....

That would make sense.  We are no longer the customers.  We are the sheep to be fleeced.

Apparently more execs at Microsoft want to be able to buy basketball teams, countries, space stations...

-Noel

u can use Win Toolkit to remove it permanently

If we can't either disable this feature or remove it permanently I'm outa here.  Are Enterprise users going to be subjected to these ads as well?  You gotta be kiddin' me!

Cheers

u can use Win Toolkit to remove it permanently

I make a point to try to figure out what features can be disabled/removed, and it's simply impossible to know at this point how Windows 10 will respond to component removal.

It's not hard to imagine Microsoft requiring the content delivery mechanism to remain in place in order for the Apps to even basically function.  After all, for example, no one ever figured out how to make Apps run without UAC enabled.

-Noel

well if you love METRO so much then investigate what is controling UAC

if its separated service(s) from svchost then you can make blank app that does nothing

and name it under those service(s)

maybe even import api calls that are required that do some check if its UAC or not

but IMO if you want ads out, get ridd of IE and this new spartan crap forever and youre good to go 

Who said they "love Metro"?

As far as reprogramming Windows from the inside out...  Good luck with that.  If Microsoft - even though their programmers are nothing special - really wants something bundled, you'll never circumvent it.  It's a proprietary system.  They control the sources.  We get to guess at what they're doing.

For what it's worth I ran Win 10 10074 for about a day with UAC fully disabled.  It *can* be done.  And you get the added feature that the Metro Apps are disabled.  Unfortunately, Microsoft has blurred the line and now some basic things don't work with UAC disabled.  Whether in the end there'll be enough configurability left to make it feasible to run without UAC is still an open question, and will be forever considering they're going to be delivering new functionality via Windows Update whenever the hell they want.

-Noel