dism command can't find source files

lkeller100

My Windows 8.1 Pro could not install the cumulative update a couple of months ago.  I briefly tried using the dism command but had no luck.  Then I became quite busy and could not go back to try dism.  Updates contined being installed until the cumulative update became an important update.  The it could still not be installed.

I tried the dism command, dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

It appeared to run and ended with the statement "source files could not be downloaded."  I turned off my Norton 360 firewall and ran the command again.  Same result.

The log file notes several incorrect locations and some activity then becomes unreadable characters.  I will copy the log file up to the unreadable characters below.  I could not attach the file, received the message I could not attach such files.

Any help appreciated as I want to keep my system updated.  I would also like to learn more about the dism command in the process.  Any good reference sources for that?

Thanks for any and all help.

[2020] Caller did not request sparse mount
[2020] Mounting new image.
Wim:         [\\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk1\partition3\Recovery\WindowsRE\Winre.wim]
Image Index: [1]
Mount Path:  [C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\85f8fca2-c29b-4434-8459-51c921104c4c]
[2020] Wimserv process started for guid 100d0ab4-8b58-4ae3-ba3a-fc5dbb964294.  Id is 2016
[2016] ImageUnmarshallHandle: Reconstituting wim at \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk1\partition3\Recovery\WindowsRE\Winre.wim.
[2016] Mounted image at C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\85f8fca2-c29b-4434-8459-51c921104c4c.
[2020] [0x8007007b] FIOReadFileIntoBuffer:(1415): The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.
[2020] [0xc142011c] UnmarshallImageHandleFromDirectory:(511)
[2020] [0xc142011c] WIMGetMountedImageHandle:(2568)
[2020] [0x8007007b] FIOReadFileIntoBuffer:(1415): The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.
[2020] [0xc142011c] UnmarshallImageHandleFromDirectory:(511)
[2020] [0xc142011c] WIMGetMountedImageHandle:(2568)
[2020] ImageUnmarshallHandle: Reconstituting wim at \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk1\partition3\Recovery\WindowsRE\Winre.wim.
[2020] ImageUnmarshallHandle: Reconstituting wim at \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk1\partition3\Recovery\WindowsRE\Winre.wim.
[2016] Received unmount request for image with guid 100d0ab4-8b58-4ae3-ba3a-fc5dbb964294.
[2016] Unmount for image at C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\85f8fca2-c29b-4434-8459-51c921104c4c complete.
〲㌱ㄭⴰ㠱〠㨷㤲㐺ⰶ䤠普††††††††䐠卉⁍†䥐㵄〲〲吠䑉ㄽ㘳吠浥潰慲楲祬猠瑥楴杮琠敨猠牣瑡档搠物捥潴祲‮桔獩洠祡戠⁥癯牥楲摤湥戠⁹獵牥氠瑡牥‮‭䑃卉䵍湡条牥㨺

Not seeing any file at the link you posted.

Hate to bring up the possibility, but garbled characters in a log file implies possible file system problems.

You might want to look in your Windows Event Log - System for any errors or warnings that might indicate disk problems.

If and only if you see no indications of disk failure there, you might consider running a CHKDSK on the drive.

-Noel

The link takes me to my One Drive login.  Not sure how to link without a login.  I assume that is possible.

I will check the event file.  I have had to read/write errors at all; just can't update the system.  Seems so unlikely not to have such errors if filesystem is the problem.  What would look like errors or warnings about the drive in the event file?

Thanks for the response.  I do hope to get to bottom of all this.  Appreciate the assistance.

I will rewrite MagicAndre's previous suggestion in a slightly modified way ;):

copy the CBS folder to the desktop, compress it as zip, upload the zip EXCLUSIVELY to a 1 click file hoster like Zippyshare.com AND NOT TO ANY cloud services (like OneDrive, dropbox)  and post a link here.

jaclaz