Can't get Windows Defender enabled again in Windows 10

mike13

A few days ago, I went into Task Manager (I think) and disabled or stopped the process for Windows Defender. I then downloaded and installed AVG free. I now want to go back to Windows Defender because I think it might work better with these different Windows 10 releases. Anyway I can't. If I go back into Task Manager, I do not see Windows Defender listed anywhere. If I just click on Windows Defender from All Programs, I am told that "That App has been turned off" and is not monitoring my system. It tells me to go to Security and Maintainance and check what programs are listed etc, or something like that. But Windows Defender is not listed there. I even tried right clicking Windows Defender and saying to Run as administrator, but I get the same message about That App being turned off, but it never tells me how to turn it back on. Maybe if I delete AVG, I will be able to re-enable Windows Defender, but I do not want to take that chance. Any suggestions ??  Thanks, Mike

DP, thanks for the reply. When I do that, I get this message "The Windows Defender Service service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by some other service or program"  Suggestions, Thanks Mike

Mike you mentioned you have AVG Installed and some virus programs will disable Windows Defender to prevent any possible conflicts, I would suggest you completely uninstall AVG then try and start Windows Defender again.

~DP

P.S. Personally I use Vipre  as it is faster on scans and not a bloat hog.

DP,  I removed AVG per your suggestion, and when I went to check Windows Defender, it was already enabled. I think I will stay will Windows Defender until Windows 10 is pretty well developed.  It would probably give the least amount of conflicts since it is made by Microsoft.  Many thanks  !!  Mike