Anyone Else Noticed The Newer Windows Versions are SLOWER?

NoelC

... Has anyone offered an explanation as to why it should be so?  Is it a characteristic of TLC flash that older stored blocks degrade and require additional error correction? ...

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/199673-second-patch-for-ongoing-840-evo-ssd-performance-issues-being-prepped-by-samsung

"... it’s possible that the drifting performance on the 840 EVO is a fundamental issue with its TLC NAND arrays that Samsung can’t fix over more than the short term ..."

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Storage/Samsung-840-EVO-Performance-Restoring-Firmware-Only-Partially-Effective

"... The slow speeds turned out to be the result of the SSD controller working extra hard to apply error correction to the data coming in from flash that was (reportedly) miscalibrated at the factory. This miscalibration caused the EVO to incorrectly adapt to cell voltage drifts over time (an effect that occurs in all flash-based storage – TLC being the most sensitive) ..."

Thanks.  Kind of as I thought, with maybe some calibration bugs thrown in for good measure.  Maybe a case where they were just too aggressive in trying to lower the manufacturing cost by packing more bits into a NAND cell.

-Noel

• 2 weeks later...

well, i did it, i uninstalled ALL apps from Start with powershell command, and DELETED all folders with apps from C:\Program Files\WindowsApps (installed TakeOwnership from WinAero, got full acces to them and deleted) , deleted all, Cortana, OneNote,etc, aaand surprise surprise my notebook is loading MORE FASTER, really, no joke here :) and the windows is working fine

Cool.  How many processes are running just to bring you an empty desktop?

Without terribly much tweaking/uninstalling, and with a few additional programs installed, my Win 10 setup sees about 56 of them running.

-Noel

well, i did it, i uninstalled ALL apps from Start with powershell command, and DELETED all folders with apps from C:\Program Files\WindowsApps (installed TakeOwnership from WinAero, got full acces to them and deleted) , deleted all, Cortana, OneNote,etc ...

Wait a minute ... so all that crap can be succesfully expunged? :w00t:

Good a time as any to try it.  Chances are Microsoft will put them all back when they deliver the next build. 

The implication is that these "whole system Windows Updates" will continue after release.  No one's said that they are only for the preview.

Like TELVM, since Microsoft is crossing the line between real software and XAML/Metro/Modern in their system, I worry about how much coupling there is.  That reminds me, I need to test it with UAC fully disabled to see what "can't get there from here" situations arise.

-Noel

well, i did it, i uninstalled ALL apps from Start with powershell command, and DELETED all folders with apps from C:\Program Files\WindowsApps (installed TakeOwnership from WinAero, got full acces to them and deleted) , deleted all, Cortana, OneNote,etc, aaand surprise surprise my notebook is loading MORE FASTER, really, no joke here :) and the windows is working fine

So, maybe, if you DETAIL what EXACTLY you did, someone may be able to replicate it/experiment with it.

I have no doubt that by removing a lot of crap the thingy gets faster :thumbup, what needs to be found out (as in *any* removing parts of the OS attempt) is which (if any) side effects or "collateral damage" there is, how this affects (or does not affect) the normal working of one program or the other, etc.

jaclaz

The implication is that these "whole system Windows Updates" will continue after release.  No one's said that they are only for the preview.

Do you mean that, as a result of this, a future Win10 RTM user who uninstalled all his Metro crapps would see them coming back periodically despite his efforts?

These would truly be "zombie" applications...

--JorgeA

Hard to tell at this stage, but...  Anecdotal information says there will probably be resurrection, at least when they do one of these new "whole system updates".

I had uninstalled OneDrive completely.  It came back with the installation of build 10049.

-Noel

Ive got to disagree on this one. Ive got an old hp slate 2 tablet laying around that came loaded with win 7 pro...which honestly i have hardly bothered using as it was simply a dog of a thing to use. So slow to the point where it was good for almost nothing but a doorstop or paperweight. Ive since installed win 10 preview 10049 and what a difference in performance. Its actually improved greatly to the point where im finding i actually want to keep it on the coffee table and use it. Surprised me as past experience installing a newer os on old hardware has been that it runs alot slower. Functionality is streets ahead now too...though i guess it makes a difference when the os is designed to run on a tab. Haven't installed it on anything else yet though so time will tell. Could just be drivers are much better implemented for the hardware? Who knows

Edited by amdphr3@kXP

installed 10051, working fine, deleted too all Apps in CMD (Admin) with only this command 

powershell "Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers | Remove-AppxPackage"

then installed TakeOwnershipEx from WinAero, and gone to C:\Program Files\WindowsApps , got ownership of app maps and deleted them all, no Cortana, no bing apps, nothing :) still booting faster 

P.S. project Spartan is not deleted and it won't be deleted with that command

Edited by drakulaboy

Ive got to disagree on this one. Ive got an old hp slate 2 tablet laying around that came loaded with win 7 pro...which honestly i have hardly bothered using as it was simply a dog of a thing to use. So slow to the point where it was good for almost nothing but a doorstop or paperweight. Ive since installed win 10 preview 10049 and what a difference in performance. Its actually improved greatly to the point where im finding i actually want to keep it on the coffee table and use it. Surprised me as past experience installing a newer os on old hardware has been that it runs alot slower. Functionality is streets ahead now too...though i guess it makes a difference when the os is designed to run on a tab. Haven't installed it on anything else yet though so time will tell. Could just be drivers are much better implemented for the hardware? Who knows

Yep :) another thing that may need some investigations is whether a "tablet install" and a "normal, plain desktop" is the same.

I mean, it is possible that the setup of 10 can detect that the OS is going to run on a  tablet (or other relatively low powered hardware) and installs only a subset of the OS or a "simplified" set of this (or that), whilst the 7 Pro install AFAIK is "just install the full thing, no matter what is the hardware".

Still, I think that this kind of functionality (if this is the case) is not really new/peculiar to Windows 10 but the switch (if any) happened with 8/8.1, which was the first OS actually "designed for tablets", while till now there is seemingly nothing really "revolutionary" in Windows 10 when compared to 8/8.1.

jaclaz

Ive got to disagree on this one. Ive got an old hp slate 2 tablet laying around that came loaded with win 7 pro...which honestly i have hardly bothered using as it was simply a dog of a thing to use. So slow to the point where it was good for almost nothing but a doorstop or paperweight.

It sounds like you're comparing a fresh installation against and old loaded-up installation.  Not valid.

-Noel