Some Disturbing Cloud-Based Windows Update Stuff in 10041

NoelC

Maybe I'm a bit too much of an alarmist, but...

I really, REALLY don't like what I'm seeing in the Windows Update process in build 10041.

1.  Upon checking for updates Windows downloaded the fbl_Impressive 10041 Professional update AGAIN, after I had already successfully installed it.

2. I now have a reported failure to install a Windows Defender update (Definition 1.193.3192.0), and there's no way to tell the system to move on and ignore it.  It just sits there re-reporting failure over and over.

3. I went looking for whether they've added any way to control updates with more detail, and found none, but I *did* find something disturbing:

What the heck is this about?

PCsOnTheInternet.png

Are we seriously to believe that Windows is turning into a bit torrent-like system, redistributing its updates from PC to PC?

You can see that I deconfigured it.

Does anyone here think that having Windows automatically install software obtained from someone else's computer might be a problem?

But nooooo, we shouldn't worry.  Everyone will surely respect Microsoft's need to offload their servers by pitching in a bit of their own bandwidth, and of course we know all of the processes in Windows are PERFECTLY secure, right?

-Noel

Are we seriously to believe that Windows is turning into a bit torrent-like system, redistributing its updates from PC to PC?

Well, when from kbytes or mbytes updates will become gbytes (i.e. at every update the whole OS will be replaced entirely ;)) they could use some added bandwidth...

All in all if the files are more "granular" (i.e. not monolithic packages) digitally signed and tamper-proof, the overall plan/architecture may even work, though probably some serious management should be needed to avoid versioning conflicts due to botched or overcomplex numbering of the things or time zone conflicts and similar?

Think global! Think connected! ;)

Just imagine if all the files that are now wasting space as simil-duplicate between your System and your WinSXS would actually reside 3/984th on your neighborhood's machine, while 1/1578th of them will be on a Lumia in Lahore, and 2/759th on a POS in Romania and your smart Windows 1n will load them from their location on demand....:whistle:

What could go wrong? :unsure:

jaclaz

This is not just insecure, what happens if my laptop is tethered to my phone on a metered connection? Will WU waste my data? Another issue I had with the new update system is in 9926 in a VM that I only start once or so a month. I went to upgrade to 10041 yesterday and I also did not see a way to not install certain updates. Is there a way to deselect with this new system?

The second consideration, besides whether Windows Update gets data from some other computer, is what about when YOU become "the other computer"?  I am not paying for my internet service in order to provide Windows Update data to my neighbors.  I would not tolerate other traffic getting in the way of the things I need my network connection to do.

-Noel

Right.  In that case you'd use the (non-default) PCs on my local network setting.  But that last one, configured as the default...  Not cool.

And it's still not clear how these settings affect your being the SERVER of other folks' Windows Updates.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Well, when from kbytes or mbytes updates will become gbytes (i.e. at every update the whole OS will be replaced entirely ;)) they could use some added bandwidth...

That's exactly what happens if you update Windows 8 to 8.1 from the Store. It downloads the entire OS and then ports everything over. It is not a method I would prefer.

2. I now have a reported failure to install a Windows Defender update (Definition 1.193.3192.0), and there's no way to tell the system to move on and ignore it.  It just sits there re-reporting failure over and over.

-Noel

I got a similar problem in " • Realtek Semiconductor Corp. driver update for Realtek High Definition Audio - Error 0x800705b " Had it since 9926...

wWmQKq2.png

That's exactly what happens if you update Windows 8 to 8.1 from the Store. It downloads the entire OS and then ports everything over. It is not a method I would prefer.

I know :yes:, but although the good MS guys call that "an update", that one is more like a "service pack" or a "system refresh", and definitely it is not one of the "patch tuesday" or "intermediate" released updates, i.e. it is something that happens - say - once a year or so.

I was just kidding of course, but IF the trend of continuously updating the OS takes old, and since the new WIndows 10 thingy will be used on *whatever* device (from POS or Home Automation System Controller to Lumia phones, from desktop high end graphical workstations to more or less lousy TV-mini-PC's) IF the current update strategy continues botching otherwise perfectly working installs, they may decide to reinstall from scratch at every update.

Every morning you will wake up to be greeted by a new install of Windows that was automagically installed during the night :whistle:, but this will need a lot of bandwidth, and so it is only too human to think of making use of the unused one that every home/business with unlimited connection has, if you think about it, you pay a flat rate and large parts of what the cable/telephone company promised you are not actually used (let us put temporarily aside that if everyone drew from the internet the whole bandwidth he/she pays for the whole system would collapse in no time :().

While I understand how this would create issues with rn10950's "pay per Gb" mobile connection, all in all NoelC's stance of not wanting to provide updates to his neighbours sounds a little selfish....  :whistle:

jaclaz

It's **** selfish, and I'm fine with that.

If I were paying Microsoft for everything (internet service, computing hardware) I might be more inclined to allow them to use my fiber optic connection and workstation that runs stably 24/7 as part of their master plan. 

We're not there yet - and I'm not sure we'll get there soon.

At this point I can still account for all the data traffic I see going to/from the internet here.  I can foresee a time when this may not be possible.  True "cloud computing" involves every connected resource contributing, and delivering the benefit of all the other resources being available on demand.  At this point I still prefer to procure all the computing resources I need for myself.

That being said...  What if, 5 years from now I find myself working on software that takes - say - 5 minutes to build, but if farmed out to the cloud via hundred gigabit connections (e.g., one module each sent to and compiled by 20,000 computers that were otherwise idle) the whole thing would take only 10 seconds...  THAT would interest me.  When I see the potential for some real benefit to offset the obvious risks of cloud computing maybe I'll consider becoming a member. 

That time is not now.  Beyond the obvious stretches of the imagination (bandwidth isn't that good, and the complex software I work with now really takes 8 seconds to compile), 20,000 computers of the sort found online today​ simply would not reliably complete the operation.​

-Noel

P.S., in case you're wondering, I've deconfigured Skype from turning my system into a Supernode.

Edited by NoelC

I got a similar problem in " • Realtek Semiconductor Corp. driver update for Realtek High Definition Audio - Error 0x800705b " Had it since 9926...

Realtek High Definition Audio also failed to update through Windows Update on my computer. I found this:

http://filehippo.com/download_realtek_high_definition_audio_vista_64/

It works because when I check in Device Manager I find the driver version is 6.0.1.7458. 

Edited by Aloha

Realtek High Definition Audio also failed to update through Windows Update on my computer. I found this:

http://filehippo.com/download_realtek_high_definition_audio_vista_64/

It works because when I check in Device Manager I find the driver version is 6.0.1.7458. 

Yes thanks, I read @GabeAul twitter yesterday about the matter, and it solve the problem.

`Yes thanks, I read @GabeAul twitter yesterday about the matter, and it solve the problem.

Hi, guess you were very lucky to have Realtek audio (mine is ALC888) working again again because i already tried several version of this driver (including this one) and always get the same message, even if attempting to install it from Windows Update :(

This problem started after new build 10041 installed by itself, it asked me to reboot and i thought it was just another update, but soon realized a full upgrade was taking course without even knowing it...

Here´s the error i´m getting no matter what, already executed a registry cleaner and also attempted to install it manually by extracting contents from the driver installation package but no luck either.

Error 0x800705b4

Any ideas that would help to fix this problem would be really appreciated, thanks!

Needless to say it´s not a HW problem because i have a dual boot with Ubuntu (which BTW also destroyed my Grub boot menu at the first boot, so also had to fix that) that have audio working as always.

Screen_Hunter_33_Mar_23_12_56.jpg

Finally, after so much trial and error i managed to properly install the driver thanks to the registry tweak in the following link, Realtek is supposed to be already working on this W10 issue... hopefully it will serve to others as well. :)

http://kb.stonegroup.co.uk/index.php?View=entry&EntryID=289

Edited by Tripredacus