WinINSTALL LE

mazin

@mazin

You should consider using .mst files just for the sake of sharing them with others.

But be careful to xxx out those serials :)

Just evaluate the wise and installshield products and you'll see it's just two clicks more to create a transform file.

If someone wants to modify the entire msi file he can do so with that mst.

i don't remember saying anything about UFO's........

i remember making a spoof of the Matrix...

to make a MST, you either save as a MST in a Windows Installer editor.....or....

you could use Microsoft's tool in their SDK.

I'm not saying it isn't easy and there isn't a reason to edit a MSI, but alittle safety is always good.

AS for the winamp msi, that commandline options were added to allow people to choose what they wanted, instead of having 4-5 different versions floating around.

I don't really see what your problem with switches are....to make MSI windows not appear at all you just use /qn . That's 3 characters.

I understand FIXING the registry key, you just oculdn't wait :)

Now if you really want to be picky, why in the world are you using an MST when you could obviously just alter it like you do with your other MSI's? Office installs via Windows Installer as well. The file is proplus.msi

Lovely ZoSTeR!

I'll consider it for your sake, not for the sake of MSTs.

It should take me long, but I'll give it a try.

But I never quit my favorite "WinINSTALL".

For Adobe Pro, I'll check it soon since I already have a copy.

Alanoll

I should quote a modified version of bonedaddy's nice comment and say:

Alanoll, these bones are getting broken.

You don't have to like WinINSTALL.

Well, Djus!

Now, what's different with Adobe Pro 6.0?

Updates (one EXE file)

--------------------------

Adobe Reader 6.0

You may wonder if you can pack those two files in one compressed file that can:

- be less in size 1.6 MB than the original two files.

- extract itself into a temporary folder.

- run the installer.

- delete the temporary folder.

I'm posting it for people who don't know that this possibility is present in WinRAR.

These are the steps:

I recommend making a backup of the two files till you test the new compressed one.

1- Open WinRAR. Go to: File --> Browse for folder. Browse to the folder in which you stored the two files.

2- Highlight the two files. Go to: Commands --> Add files to archive, The "Archive name and parameters" dialog box appears.

On the "General" tab, press the button "Profiles..." and choose "Default Profile".

Still On the "General" tab, in the field "Archive name", type a name for the new compressed file like AR6.exe, and don't forget the extension ".exe"

Then, choose these parameters:

- Archive format: RAR

- Compression method: Best

- Archiving options: Create SFX archive

You don't need to play with other parameters.

3- Go to "Advanced" tab, Press the button "SFX options". The "Advanced SFX Options" dialog box appears.

On the "General" tab, choose "Create in the current folder".

In the field "Run after extraction", type the name of your installer, this should be the name of your modified msi. Don't forget the extension ".msi".

4- Go to "Modes" tab, choose: Unpack to temporary folder + Hide all + Overwrite all files.

5- Press "OK' on all dialogs and wait for the compression process to complete. Close WinRAR.

You should find "AR6.exe" inside the folder you browsed to in step 1.

@mazin

First, be careful if you do something like this. If you call the rar sfx from XPlode/RunOnceEx, then when the archive gets extracted, winrar exit, and XPlode/RunOnceEx will pass to the next item, without waiting for the extracted file to be executed. So you will end up with 2 setup running at the same time. If those are msi's, then you will get errors.

Also, if you just compress the folder C:\windows\cache\Adobe to get the msi, then look at the compressed file: it will be over 30 Mb! 2 choice then: unse the original .exe downloaded from adobe, or run "C:\windows\cache\Adobe...\setup.exe /a" to make an admin installation point, and then compress the new folder up to 19Mb, wich is much better then 30. The admin point is as easy as the normal method to install, and take much less disk space.

I recommend making a backup of the two files till you test the new compressed one.

Well, big_gie.

Thanks for your interest.

I tested that compressed file under a batch file (start /wait) with some msi and non-msi applications next to it.

It worked fine, and this is why I posted it.

If it would have problems when applied under different methods, like you say, then peolpe could test it first.

This is why I said that in advance (see the quote above).

EDIT

------

Plus, I never told people to delete their originals or duplicate their source files or lose the choice of getting their applications back to its original configuration.

When I edit an MSI file, I do that for the purpose of burning it into my unattended CD.

Therefore, my originals remain on hard disk and modified MSIs are deleted from my hard after burning them.

So, there's no duplication as you can see.

Moreover, modified MSIs can work normally again if you just unchecked the box "Show basic user interface only".

That's it!

Well, Djus!

Now, what's different with Adobe Pro 6.0?

I dont know what you mean?

Adone Reader

0x0409.ini

Abcpy.ini

Adobe Reader 6.0.msi

Data1.cab

instmsia.exe

instmsiw.exe

Rdr60ENU.itw

Rdr60ENU.mst

setup.exe

Setup.ini

Adobe Acrobat 6 pro

0x0404.ini

0x0409.ini

0x0411.ini

0x0412.ini

0x0804.ini

Abcpy.ini

Acropro.msi

data1.cab

instmsia.exe

instmsiw.exe

setup.exe

Setup.ini

Its about 120mb bigger and has 4x *.ini files more/ doesnt have *.itw; *.mst

greetz

Djus :)

Djus

I didn't mean that.

I meant: Did you find anything difficult or different when you tried to modify the MSI?

ok, I see :rolleyes:

Its diferent from your Example from

Now, expand "Acrobat Reader", then right-click the sub-key named "6.0". From the shortcut menu, choose "New Key" and name the new key "AdobeViewer".

there is no "Acrobat Reader" to expand!

Everthing else is same from 1 - 6.

thx

Djus :)

Hi

At first I am new here :)

I don't like to open a new topic for a question that might be asked 100000 times, so I'll use this one because here is the more activity :D

I build myself an unattended installation, that works just fine and like I want, but after using all that switches for the different programs everything is installed in C:\ where my Win XP is stored.

My point is, which switches I have to use with the different installers (NSIS, MSI, InstallShiled, Wise) where I can say "This goes to this path and this goes to this hdd"

I know, I know, use the search engine, I did :D Found nothing what I could use.

Would be great, if someone could help me out with some lines or a link or something :rolleyes:

Djus

OK. I understand you.

To help you easily, it's better to state the configurations you want in Adobe Pro after you get it installed. So I can write the needed modifications to you.

However, this instruction was for EULA:

<<< Now, expand "Acrobat Reader", then right-click the sub-key named "6.0". From the shortcut menu, choose "New Key" and name the new key "AdobeViewer".>>>

But, since the EULA for the pro version is shown at the time of installation, you don't need to add that key.

It was needed for Adobe Reader because its EULA pops up when you open Adobe Reader for the first time after installation.

Are you satisfied with this answer, or still need help?

Humm3r

Don't worry. You'll be assisted anyway.

But, your question is ambiguous.

Do you mean that you want to install those applications to partitions other than C:?

Or you mean that you want to have a complete list of switches related to those applications for future use.