WinINSTALL LE

mazin

• 3 months later...

Ok I created my own Winamp package with WINinstall 2003 LE. And it works fine. BUT .. Everytime after I rebooted, and I run my winamp.exe again a small install progress bar shows up for like 2 secs, and after that winamp just runs. Only first time after rebooting.

What does this progress bar? Can I get rid of it? It kinda annoys me

Thanx

edit: it seems that this progress bar comes from the original msi I installed it from... so it's like reinstalling itself everytime I rebooted :blink: help???

This is the Self Healing/Self Repair that is built into MSIs.

Check in your Application event log. It should be logging what it thinks is wrong.

Basically, the MSI checks what is called a "KeyPath" to make sure everything is still there. If this KeyPath is missing, it triggers the reinstall. You can prevent this, by removing the KeyPath for any component that is not critical to the application operation. (happens alot on current user registry keys, etc).

I don't know if WinInstallLE lets you modify the KeyPath, but if not, Orca does.

• 2 months later...

this guide is very useful. i now have built my own modified winamp and reader 6.0 package. i was just curious if i could change the install folder? currently the install dir are listed as [programFilesFolder]\winamp\ or something likethat. is there anyway i can change it to say d:\program files\winamp ? i know i can set these options in winnt.sif file where i can specify the default program file directory. but i just wanted to install some applicaiton like winamp to the second partition instead of normal program files directory.

well hate to disapoint you guys

and nothing im going to say now its new BUT

this and other tools are good for editing and customizations and snapshots

BUT the only disadvantage is it is not good for programs that update themself like spysweeper and others because it will prompt you for the msi file thinking the program needs repair because the files have changed

and when your using your cd/dvd on another computer that doesnt have the source files this could be a problem

for programs like those i use installright

well hate to disapoint you guys

and nothing im going to say now its new BUT

this and other tools are good for editing and customizations and snapshots

BUT the only disadvantage is it is not good for programs that update themself like spysweeper and others because it will prompt you for the msi file thinking the program needs repair because the files have changed

and when your using your cd/dvd on another computer that doesnt have the source files this could be a problem

for programs like those i use installright

The reason it prompts you for the MSI, is because every time it is launched, it is checking the KeyPath for each Component in the Component table. This is part of the self-healing/repair functionality of the Windows Installer. If you don't want it to do this, simply remove all the values in the KeyPath colum in the Component Table of the MSI. (This must be done before the MSI is installed. Otherwise, you will have to uninstall and reinstall the MSI for the changes to take effect.)

thanks mazin awsome work. I manege to build Alcohol 120 and ACD See packages, both installed fine only one problem though, new hardware found screen pops-up during alcohol install, is there any way to fix this?

• 4 months later...

I really wanna jump on the WinINSTALL LE bandwagon, but it seems like the latest version of WinINSTALL LE required a serial? I thought it was supposed to be a free program. Does anyone know where I can download the previous version that is free?

• 3 weeks later...

Hey

I faced alot of problems and have alotta questions so plz Mazin Be pateint with me O'right?

1-What's exactly the folder C:\WINDOWS\Cache\Adobe Reader 6.0\ENUMIN\ ?

why didn't choose it for WinINSTALL since it's smaller in Size?!

2-I Download AR v6.0.1 then I did the installtions to get the files in the cache folder..then I opened the Adobe Reader 6.0.1.msi as you said in WinINSTALL.I follow every detail you mention in your whole tutorial + the Plugins trick to get a Slimboy AR!

but when I saved, I didn't notice any bit change in the size of Adobe Reader 6.0.1.msi & Data1.cab!

C:\Program Files\OnDemand\WinINSTALL\Packages\AR

and the api plugins which I delete in msi via WinINSTALL still present in the Data1.cab file! so plz how you get this:

the original cab (206 files) =22.7 MB, and the new one (33 files)=9.53 MB

plz help me out since I spend alot of time on this then get no +ve results and I'm so disappointed and Depressed!

finally to get what I need exactly:

1-Smaller Size AR

2-No Boring Decompression Windows on Start

3-doesn't matter unattneded or not since may I use this AR modified file on any other PC

4-Take Direct association with PDF files

• 4 weeks later...

I have tried to install Acrobat 6.0 Std based upon your directions for installing Acrobat 6.0 Pro (Example #4, Post #55). I appear to be experiencing some sort of registry error and would like some advice.

The error I experience involves Distiller & Acrobat Registration; specifically the SERIAL value. I modify the MSI file; specifically the SERIAL value for Distiller & Acrobat Registration keys you have identified but no matter what, it does not appear to be set when I execute the installation using the modified MSI file. further, an additional value within the Acrobat Registration key appears to be needed to ensure that when Acrobat is opened, I am prompted to register - the additional value is "PRODREG"=dword:65686669.

now I can live with this situation as I simply execute a short registry hack after the install but being a purest, I would think that I am missing something when I modify the MSI using WinInstall LE and would like to understand what it is. Can you suggest anything to check to ensure that I am not missing something?

Hi,

iam new to using WinInstall LE, and am trying to create MSI for small applications like FlashPaper2.exe. Cant seem to get it to work and am following Microsoft instructions in how to cerate th MSI. wondering if anyone has or knows of a more detailed guide of haw to create MSI.

Excuse my lack of knowledge in this subject i am new to MSI's

Any help would be super duper

Cheers

J

• 2 weeks later...