WinINSTALL LE

mazin

MSI Compression & Decompression - A Great Possibility

To decompress an MSI file: Highlight your msi, then go to: Actions --> Expand...

You should have all files extracted. Extracted files will be in their corresponding folders.

So, delete ONLY files that you've deleted their references from the MSI. IMPORTANT!

To compress it again: Highlight your msi, then go to Actions --> Compress...

For a trouble-free compression process and a trouble-free installation process afterwards, DO NOT change any names of folders or files or file extensions. IMPORTANT!

MSXML went from 5.04MB to 1.79MB :rolleyes::)

EDIT: Uh oh. I'm getting an error 2902 when trying to install. I think it's because the digital signature on the MSI is bad. Any idea how to correct it?

Edited by RyanVM

Then, try this solution:

- In WinINSTALL, expand your msi till you see the new files.

- Click a file (of them), and highlight "General" title. You should see the "Summary" tab in the right window.

- Click the "..." of the field "Key Path:".

- Check the file properties to see if the displayed data reflects the properties of the new file you added in replace to the old one.

- If "size", "version", or "attributes" is not the same as your new one, then delete the whole line and add it again.

This message is for Teasy.

Execuse me, Teasy. I've received your PM but I have been too busy to answer.

Sorry to be late for you. I should answer you soon. The program you referred to is built on the same idea of the "Optional" folder. I'm really pleased to know that.

I think it's useful to you, too.

Then, try this solution:

- In WinINSTALL, expand your msi till you see the new files.

- Click a file (of them), and highlight "General" title. You should see the "Summary" tab in the right window.

- Click the "..." of the field "Key Path:".

- Check the file properties to see if the displayed data reflects the properties of the new file you added in replace to the old one.

- If "size", "version", or "attributes" is not the same as your new one, then delete the whole line and add it again.

I figured it out. When I was removing the original file to replace it with a new one, some entries were being removed. I got around that by simply expanding the CAB and copying the files over the old ones in Explorer and repacking the archive. It seems to install OK and the file versions after installation match up correctly :)

No. In order to replace a file, you have to delete the old one then add the new one. When I did that, other entries were being removed that were tied to that file (and they obviously weren't being re-added when I put the updated file in). So I just extracted the CAB and replaced them that way without doing anything in the MSI editor. The reported file version is off, but it seems to work OK (and I can't find a way to refresh it with the correct info).

Create your own MSI for Winamp

..... Coming Soooooon .....

Now it's ready here: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=20675&st=0

However, I can post the instructions here in case anyone needs them. Despite too long to post, I'll find a simple way for that.

Just let me know you want them.

Edited by mazin

well create your own msi.

I was kind of trying to prevent ppl from doing more work. anyways

I could explain the steps I have gone through, there is not much to it. It just takes time and making 1 only for yourself would take about 10 min.

install the real nullsoft winamp. monitor the registry changes. copy the files over to the msi builder. copy your winamp folder along with everything inside, with the .ini as well. and that's it.

that's what I use for myself.

Competition? how so.

on the left side u have 2 ppl trying to make an universal installer for winamp on the right side ppl trying to make an installer for themselves

it really takes like 5 min if u only want to install winamp with min (or only your) requirements.

Well!

I've already made mine tonight, just three hours ago.

But, for perfection, it took two hours not 10 minutes! I tested it and everything went well. Still, I'm not satisfied with its organization. It needs grouping components into features, however.

But, I can't share it because I'm not permitted to do so. This is why I said that I'd post instructions.

Will you be annoyed of that, really? I know you took this project seriously. Okay, I won't post them if you'd misunderstand me again!

What would you say?

i haven't said anything about posting instructions or making your own.

of course u could, its not like I have the market on winamp msi or anything. everyone's free to post anything on this forum.

i had only protested the way u talked to me. Its not up to me what u do or what u don't do in your free time.

so go ahead post instructions, post the msi, so we can all benefit.

This message is for Teasy.

Execuse me, Teasy. I've received your PM but I have been too busy to answer.

Sorry to be late for you. I should answer you soon. The program you referred to is built on the same idea of the "Optional" folder. I'm really pleased to know that.

I think it's useful to you, too.

no problem ... i am busy with my unattended setups of windows nt 4 and xp for my company .. and the hundreds of software packages that i have to prepare ;-)