WinINSTALL LE

mazin

Well, mlu.

These are the MSI switches along with their interpretation, where UI stands for User Interface:

qn No UI

qn+ No UI, except for a modal dialog box displayed at the end

qb Basic UI

qb+ Basic UI, with a modal dialog box displayed at the end

qb+! Basic UI, with a modal dialog box displayed at the end, with a hidden Cancel button

qb- Basic UI, with no modal dialog boxes

qb-! Basic UI, with no modal dialog boxes, with a hidden Cancel button

qr Reduced UI

qf Full UI

In most cases, we can pick any of these switches and apply it without getting errors.

But in some cases, as with Adobe Acrobat 6.0 Pro, a programmer disabled some switches by setting the UI level to a certain value.

A case in which, the user can't override the pre-programmed UI level without getting errors and installation interrupted.

Therefore, if the popular "qn" doesn't work, you'll have to try another switch.

This is why I used "QR" with Adobe Acrobat 6.0 Pro, instead of diving deeply in changing the UI level of msi.

If you have a copy of Adobe Acrobat 6.0 Pro, import AcroPro.msi to WinINSTALL and see how many actions are conditional. The UI level is everywhere.

I think this might be the case with Adobe Audition. However, I don't mind receiving an email from you including a link to a working copy (a working copy, hah) of this application, so that I can see what the problem is.

For MST files, despite you asked a person who hates MST files, that's me; I should answer you.

Two days ago, and as I was advised by ZoSTeR, I went to http://www.wisesolutions.com and downloaded a copy of the powerful "Wise Package Studio Pro 5.1", an exe file with 68MB in size.

That's what you can use to create a MST file. Everything is documented in the Help file of the application, so you won't need to ask.

I, only, wrote this to answer you. And yes, I used it to create a MST file for Adobe Acrobat 6.0 Pro. However, I didn't complete it and I don't intend to do it again in the near future, at least.

And yes, I hated MST files more than ever before. This is my point of view, which might be different from yours.

But I hope I like MST files for the sake of sharing, I really hope.

Thank a lot for the info. About that link for adobe audition, I do not have a site or ftp server to put that aplication. Maybe it's the time to do but I do not know when. Maybe you have a ftp server to upload these apps so you can look over them.

has someone done msn messenger? I want it to stop put the run in the registry, I tried deleting it, but for some reason its always there. I do not want msnmsgr to run at startup...jeez, I hate ms for doin that...only thing that p***es me off.

Hey everybody,

I have been using WinInstall LE 2003 since a few months and it is working fine. I can create MSI files and modify them. But you have to know what you are doing otherwise your package will not work.

Here are a few things I am modifying;

- Removing HKCU entries,

- Changing installation method to per machine. Important !

- Program Shortcuts ( Uninst.exe, do not need this file)

- Removing unnecessary captured files ( Explorer --> Comdlg32)

- Removing captured WinInstall entries.

- I am also checking the files that will be copied. ( Any dll files overwritten ! )

- Installing the MSI file with start /wait / i /qb+ or /i /qn switch.

-

Except above,

A few MSI rules;

- The highest version of the file always wins.

- A file without version number considered as user data.

-

For those who is intended to modify the MSI package, I suggest to read Windows Installer WhitePaper from Microsoft to get a familiar with this technology.

:)

Priapus

evilvoice

As you might see on page 6 of this guide, I talked to Nastradamus about MSN Messenger along with some other apps.

I asked him to post it, because he might already have nice modifications more than I did. I don't want efforts to be duplicated if they are going to be the same.

I'll wait for him to post it or send it to me by email so that I can post it for sharing.

Priapus

Would you like to post some of your work for sharing?

It will be nice if you help others to learn.

Thanks.

Hey,

You can remove the MSN Messenger from the registry. If you delete the entry below from the registry, it should solve your problem

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"MsnMsgr"="\"C:\\Programmer\\MSN Messenger\\MsnMsgr.Exe\" /background"

:)

priapus - if you remove the key, the next time you open msn messenger, it will place it back there...to stop that, you need to put a space as the value. I do this with reg settings i import, but I want it done when I install the app

Well!

Why don't you delete the key from the original package?

Expand tree: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Delete these keys in this order: Run --> CurrentVersion --> Windows

For MSN Messenger and Windows Media Player 9, please post your favorite configurations, so that I can prepare the two apps for you.

Well!

This should solve your problem, but try it first on your current system before modifying the original package:

1- Delete the value:

"MsnMsgr"="\"C:\\Program Files\\MSN Messenger\\MsnMsgr.Exe\" /background"

found at:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]

2- Change 0 to 1 for the following value:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Messenger\Client]

"PreventAutoRun"=dword:00000000

It works on my PC.

Edited by mazin