WinINSTALL LE

mazin

Since the majority of these guys are running these during setup, switches shouldn't really matter (hence the whole point of running it silent). But you should only need one switch and that is the transform. All the others can be added to the transform. This includes all the silent, force reboot, registry changes, whatever. A switch is only needed to specify something other than the default.

Another thing a transform allows you to do that modifying the MSI doesn't? Have different configurations, without having to duplicate the source files. You use one set of media, with multiple transforms. Especially helpful for large suites such as MS Office. I can have individual transforms that install each app individually, or the whole suite, and I only need the 1 set of media with multiple transforms.

I also deal with MSI's everyday, in a corporate environment. Actually, that is what I do, I build and deploy installs. Except I use Wise Package Studio Professional.

With MST files, you still need to register and use switches.

With MST files, you are still worried about the correct directories and putting all files together.

But here, you are one-click away from all things.

Here, you have only this in your batch:

start /wait %...%\...\program.msi

Also, it's a matter of minutes to modify, a matter of seconds to install!

Edited by mazin

Sorry, codeblue!

I'm referring to WinINSTALL LE here for:

- applying modifications to avoid using switches.

- disabling installation of some components.

- embeding registry tweaks and registration data of the user.

- eliminating components like shortcuts and so on..

I don't recommend using it for large applications like MS Office with the method explained on the site you've mentioned.

Instead, I'd prefer editing MSIs of MS Office, which I'm on my way to it.

Thanks for your contribution.

With MST files, you are still worried about the correct directories and putting all files together
The MST file doesn't do anything to the directories or files. You make all the changes the same, just like you mention, except when you save it, you save it as a MST instead of a MSI.
With MST files, you still need to register and use switches.

With the MST file, the only switch is TRANSFORM=<name of MST> that is it, no ther switches. And I don't understand "you still need to register". Register what?

And...

applying modifications to avoid using switches.

- disabling installation of some components.

- embeding registry tweaks and registration data of the user.

- eliminating components like shortcuts and so on..

This can ALL be done in the transform.
Here, you have only this in your batch:

start /wait %...%\...\program.msi

The only difference is it becomes

start /wait %...%\...\program.msi TRANFORMS=custom.mst

Also, it's a matter of minutes to modify, a matter of seconds to install!

It takes no longer to create a transform than to modify the msi. Its all done in the same interface (at least in Wise)

You can not be told what a MST is, you must expierence it yourself.

The easiest way to make an MST, is make modifications to an MSI, compare it to the original, and voila MST file, WITH the orignal MSI to install from.

Half the time, the serial numbers that are entered into the serial number fields in the MSI are typically saved in a Property, you just create the property, put your serial in there, and then the INSTALLATION registers it by it's own methods.

Before subjugating saying one method is better then the others, do try it YOURSELF, and use a little logic as to why the MSTs were created to begin with, instead of instructions on how to modify the MSI directly. There are reasons.

When you remove features/shortcuts from Adobe 6.0.1, I must suggest also setting to "Not Avaible" the "Reader's message files" (translated from french).

This will remove the ads in the top right corner :)

Alanoll

I modified Mac's Winamp.msi in half a minute, then ran it directly without ANY problems.

That modification included:

- enabling installation of all things except the Agent, which I don't need.

- deleting the desktop shortcut to be copied.

- integrating my registration data for the pro version.

- correcting a registry key, which I reported to Mac.

- eliminating the need to any switches.

- preventing any setup screens from appearing.

There may be changes I made but don't remember now. OK?!

Would you, please, tell me what comparison you are talking about? Why should I do it? Is it implied by the Department of State or Justice or what?

Is it a puzzle?

The only application I should use a MST file with is Microsot Office.

Execuse me, Alanoll. But I usually get nervous when I hear people talking about UFOs!

Stay tuned.

big_gie

Despite making Adobe Reader load some faster when eliminated, I don't like eliminating it.

I feel like something missing from the UI. But it's better you mentioned it so that poeple who like it can do it.

Thanks alot.

By "Register" I meam user data and serial numbers.
Done the same way in a MST. I don't think you really understand what a MST is. It is just a set of changes. It takes all the changes that you make and saves them. Then when you specify the transform in the commandline, it is telling it to apply those changes to the MSI. That way you are making the changes, but not affecting the original source media. Basically, it just stores your changes in a seperate file, rather than directly applying it to the MSI.

We are not trying to say in any way, that what your are suggesting is wrong, so please don't be upset. There is nothing wrong with the way you are doing it. A MST just keeps you from accidentally messing up the original MSI. We are just trying to add a little safety tip to your suggestions.

Also, if MST file is that easy, why not give us an example like I did. So, we can see the difference.

Again, I use Wise Package Studio Professional, so it may be different....

But if you follow your directions for Adobe, or whatever, follow every step, then rather than saving the MSI, you choose Save As.... and save it as a MST.

@mazin

grate work m8

could you make a how to for Adobe Acrobat 6.0 Professional also plz.

This is the only app that i didnt find a way to install unattended.

greetz

Djus :)