WinINSTALL LE

mazin

WinINSTALL LE doesn't only create msi packages from scratch or by monitoring an installation, but is capable of professionally modifying existent ones.

Despite free, it's wonderful!

I'm going to post examples of some applications that use "Windows Installer Package", known as msi, which can be modified for silent installation using WinINSTALL LE.

After modifications are made, no need for switches or reg files to install or register an application.

Before we go ahead, let's download a copy of WinINSTALL LE from this direct download link. You'd have an exe file of 12 MB in size, as I can remember.

If you want, you can go to OnDemand site for more information about the product or for downloading if DDL is changed.

Once you get it, install WinINSTALL LE on your Windows XP and get ready for practice.

Installation note: When you reach the "Registration Information" screen, uncheck the box "Sign me up for a free copy ...". Type any email address. Then, put your mouse pointer in any other field, so that the "Next" button is activated. Make sure you are not connected to the Internet.

When you reach the "Installation share options" screen, you don't have to type anything. Just, hit "Next"!

Otherwise, run EXE, then go to: C:\Documents and Settings\YourProfile\Local Settings\Temp\OND6C.tmp\WinINSTALLLE.msi

Use the MSI instead of EXE with /qb switch.

The First Example

----------------------------

ACDsee PowerPack 6.02

Install ACDSee normally, and before you agree to reboot, go to:

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp\

Look for the most recent folder there. It could be named "_isAE" or similar. Inside "_isAE", you'll find a file named "ACDSee 6.0 PowerPack.msi". This is our niche. Copy it into another place like your desktop or wherever you want.

Now, do whatever you want with the reboot message. Then, follow these steps:

1- Open WinINSTALL LE. (This is my version: Start-->Programs-->WinINSTALL LE 2003)

2- There should be three vertical panes. The pane to the left is called "Shortcuts" and has two components, "Start Page" and "Windows Installer Packages". Click "Windows Installer Packages".

3- Go to File-->Import Package...! The "Import Package" dialog box will appear.

In the field "Package File", browse to "ACDSee 6.0 PowerPack.msi" that you've recently saved on your desktop.

In the field "Description", you must type something; like "ACDSee62" or whatever you want.

Since the file you've imported has no extra files accompanying it, you leave the ckeck box "Copy Package Source Files" unchecked. Press "Ok". Press "Ok" again when the copying process is complete.

By now, You should have got two files in: C:\Program Files\OnDemand\WinINSTALL\Packages\ACDSee62\; "ACDSee 6.0 PowerPack.msi" and "ACDSee 6.0 PowerPack.MXI".

You don't have to check them since they are not Read-Only files. They are ready for modifications without problems on saving.

4- Make sure that the package "ACDSee62" in the middle pane is highlighted. In the lower part of the middle pane, make sure the title "General" is also highlighted.

On the pane to the right, there should be three tabs; "Summary", "Advanced", and "Install Modes".

On the "Install Modes" tab, check the box "Show basic user interface only (simple progress and error handling)".

5- In the lower part of the middle pane, click the title "Shortcuts".

You should see seven shortcuts. At the normal installation process, four of these shortcuts are copied into Start-->Programs-->ACD Systems. The other three are copied into your desktop.

Click the seven shortcuts, one at a time, then press Alt+Enter on your keyboard for properties.

The shortcut dialog will appear. In the field "Create In", if you see "[DesktopFolder]\", then close the dialog and delete that shortcut.

You'll need to delete three shortcuts if you want your desktop clean after installing ACDSee.

6- Click the title "Registry". You should see two tabs in the pane to the right, "Add" and "Remove".

On the "Add" tab, expand "My Computer", expand "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE", expand "SOFTWARE", and expand "ACD Systems".

Click the key named "61". You should see four values on the right part of the window. One of these values is named "LicenseNumber". Right-click it for properties. The "String Editor" box appears. Replace the text in the field "String:" with your license number.

Your license number should be in this format and without quotes or brackets: ###-###-###-###-###-### Now, press "Ok".

Expand the key "ACDSee". Click the key "60". To the right, there is the value "LicenseNumber".

Repeat what you did above to insert your license number.

Expand the key "FotoCanvas". Click the key "30". Insert your license number.

Expand the key "FotoSlate". Click the key "30". Insert your license number.

Since this version of ACDSee uses the same license number for all of its components, you'd insert the same number each time.

7- Despite the box "Show basic user interface only (simple progress and error handling)" is checked as we did in step 4, ACDSee will offer you the choice of reboot when you install it using this modified package.

Therefore, we should go further for one more step.

Click the title "General". In the pane to the right, Click "Advanced" tab, then "Sequence", "Install", then "Execute". Highlight the action "ScheduleReboot", then delete it!

Close WinINSTALL LE and agree to save the changes when prompted.

_________ FINISHED _________________

Now, go to C:\Program Files\OnDemand\WinINSTALL\Packages\ACDSee62\ and copy the modified package "ACDSee 6.0 PowerPack.msi", then paste into where you want it stored.

This modified package:

1- installs silently.

2- registers automatically.

3- doesn't create desktop shortcuts.

More modifications can be made to the package if you want.

i'm not saying that there isn't a valid reason to modify them, but it's just not a good idea to directly modify them. You may change a single setting without knowing and cause the whole thing to not work.

That's why microsoft design MST files to be used in conjunction. And they're easy to make and apply.

msiexec /i installmsi /t transform.mst

mendipjohn

If you try it, let me know.

Alanoll

There is always testing. If an idea doesn't work, I quit. No loss, I think!

But imagine an idea that works well and only takes afew minutes to realize!

oh i didn't say there was anything wrong with your way. The idea obviously works.

but alittle caution is waranted. MSI's are somewhat like ISOs. Modify them directly too much and they end up corrupt.

I agree with alanoll

I've been playing with msi's now over 2 months. (i dealt with them like everyday. they are very capable of doing stupid things)

yes i've created/modified/played/deleted/started over again a billion times

ie modified acdsee, took out the unneccessary components to make a nicer silent install, put my serial in etc....

but the problem is the more ppl learn how to play with these the less its going to get secure for the companies. i mean crackers/hackers can also grab wininstall or any msi modify tool. etc..

I think not everyone should modify their msi's especiall the ones that don't even know what msi is :)

@ Xmac

well sir then people will learn and like I did,

probably the hard way... I like Mazin's attitude

"no fear" and it looks like he's doing well.

I've made 2 msi files and they work, thank

heavens, now I'm going to try to modify a

program, my time, my mistakes, my fun,

no harm to anyone else.

these bones are getting old

bonedaddy

Hackers have tools that make WinINSTALL be really a children's toy!

Hackers don't buy apps, but I do. I'm free to hack my legal own copy. Or, what a MST file really does?

At least, MST files are distributed everywhere but here I say you do it for yourself only!

With MST files, you still need to register and use switches.

Finally, spreading knowledge should not make good people nervous!

The second example will come soon. It's a surprise.

The Second Example

------------------------

Adobe Reader 6.0

Install Adobe Reader 6.0 the regular way, then go to:

C:\WINDOWS\Cache\Adobe Reader 6.0\ENUBIG\

You should find these files over there:

0x0409.ini

Abcpy.ini

Adobe Reader 6.0.msi

Data1.cab

instmsia.exe

instmsiw.exe

Rdr60ENU.itw

Rdr60ENU.mst

setup.exe

Setup.ini

Press Ctrl+a on your keyboard to highlight all those file, then press Alt+Enter for properties.

Uncheck the box "Read-Only", then press "Ok" to prepare files for possible modifications.

Follow these steps:

1- Open WinINSTALL LE. (This is my version: Start-->Programs-->WinINSTALL LE 2003)

2- There should be three vertical panes. The pane to the left is called "Shortcuts" and has two components, "Start Page" and "Windows Installer Packages". Click "Windows Installer Packages".

3- Go to File-->Import Package...! The "Import Package" dialog box will appear.

In the field "Package File", browse to "Adobe Reader 6.0.msi" in the directory mentioned above.

In the field "Description", you must type something; like "AR6" or whatever you want.

Since the file you've imported is accompanied by other files, you ckeck the box "Copy Package Source Files". Press "Ok". Press "Ok" again when the copying process is complete.

By now, You should have got three files in: C:\Program Files\OnDemand\WinINSTALL\Packages\AR6\; "Adobe Reader 6.0.msi", "Adobe Reader 6.0.MXI", and "Data1.cab".

You don't have to check them since they are not Read-Only files any more. They are ready for modifications without problems on saving.

The other files are not needed for installation, as you can see!

4- Make sure that the package "AR6" in the middle pane is highlighted. In the lower part of the middle pane, make sure the title "General" is also highlighted.

On the pane to the right, there should be three tabs; "Summary", "Advanced", and "Install Modes".

On the "Install Modes" tab, check the box "Show basic user interface only (simple progress and error handling)".

5- In the lower part of the middle pane, click the title "Shortcuts".

You should see six shortcuts. Delete all of them, one at a time.

6- Click the title "Registry". You should see two tabs in the pane to the right, "Add" and "Remove".

On the "Add" tab, expand "My Computer", expand "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE", expand "SOFTWARE", expand "Adobe", and expand "Adobe Acrobat". Delete the key named "PrintMe", then delete the key "Adobe Acrobat" itself.

A successful approach for deleting a registry key is to delete its sub-keys first.

Now, expand "Acrobat Reader", then right-click the sub-key named "6.0". From the shortcut menu, choose "New Key" and name the new key "AdobeViewer".

Right-click the new key you've just created, and from the shortcut menu, choose "New Value...". The "Add Value" dialog box appears. In the field "Value Name", type "EULA"; without quotes of course. Choose "REG_DWORD" as the Data Type, then press "Ok". The "DWORD Editor" appears. In the field "Data:", type "1"; without quotes, then press "Ok".

Expand "HKEY_CURRENT_USER", expand "SOFTWARE", expand "Adobe", expand "Acrobat Reader", then expand "6.0".

Right-click the sub-key named "AdobeViewer" and from the shortcut menu, choose "New Value...". The "Add Value" dialog box appears. In the field "Value Name", type "EULA"; without quotes of course. Choose "REG_DWORD" as the Data Type, then press "Ok". The "DWORD Editor" appears. In the field "Data:", type "1"; without quotes, then press "Ok".

Now, right-click the key "6.0" itself. From the shortcut menu, choose "New Key" and name the new key "Originals".

Right-click the new key "Originals" and from the shortcut menu, choose "New Value...". The "Add Value" dialog box appears. In the field "Value Name", type "bDisplayAboutDialog"; without quotes of course. Choose "REG_DWORD" as the Data Type, then press "Ok". The "DWORD Editor" appears. In the field "Data:", type "0"; without quotes, then press "Ok".

Again, right-click the key "Originals" and from the shortcut menu, choose "New Value...". The "Add Value" dialog box appears. In the field "Value Name", type "iPageUnits"; without quotes of course. Choose "REG_DWORD" as the Data Type, then press "Ok". The "DWORD Editor" appears. In the field "Data:", type "3"; without quotes, then press "Ok".

Right-click the key "6.0" itself. From the shortcut menu, choose "New Key" and name the new key "Updater".

Right-click the new key "Updater" and from the shortcut menu, choose "New Value...". The "Add Value" dialog box appears. In the field "Value Name", type "bShowAutoUpdateConfDialog"; without quotes of course. Choose "REG_DWORD" as the Data Type, then press "Ok". The "DWORD Editor" appears. In the field "Data:", type "0"; without quotes, then press "Ok".

Again, right-click the key "Updater" and from the shortcut menu, choose "New Value...". The "Add Value" dialog box appears. In the field "Value Name", type "bShowNotifDialog"; without quotes of course. Choose "REG_DWORD" as the Data Type, then press "Ok". The "DWORD Editor" appears. In the field "Data:", type "0"; without quotes, then press "Ok".

Once more, right-click the key "Updater" and from the shortcut menu, choose "New Value...". The "Add Value" dialog box appears. In the field "Value Name", type "iUpdateFrequency"; without quotes of course. Choose "REG_DWORD" as the Data Type, then press "Ok". The "DWORD Editor" appears. In the field "Data:", type "0"; without quotes, then press "Ok".

7- On the top part of the middle pane, expand the "AR6" package itself. You should see two sub-categories, "Acrobat Reader" and "Reader Registry Integration".

Expand "Acrobat Reader", expand "Acrobat Reader Program Files", then click "New Feature 87".

Highlight the title "General" in the lower part of the middle pane.

On the pane to the right, there should be that dialog of three tabs; "Summary", "Advanced", and "Install Modes".

Under the "Summary" tab, there are six radio buttons. Choose "Not Available".

Close WinINSTALL LE and agree to save the changes when prompted.

_________ FINISHED _________________

Now, go to C:\Program Files\OnDemand\WinINSTALL\Packages\AR6\ and copy the modified package "Adobe Reader 6.0.msi" along with "Data1.cab", then paste into where you want them stored.

This modified package:

1- installs silently in seconds.

2- doesn't connect to the Internet for updates anytime after installation.

3- doesn't create shortcuts anywhere.

4- doesn't install PrintMe.

5- doesn't create a shortcut folder for PrintMe in Start-->Programs.

6- won't show the EULA when you open Adobe Reader for the first time after installation.

7- won't show the "Splash Screen" every time you open Adobe Reader after installation.

8- will display a document measures in centimeters not in inches.

If you want measures to be in inches, do not add the value "iPageUnits" which is linked to the key "Originals"; other things remain unchanged.

Updates:

-----------

ACDsee PowerPack 6.02

After installing ACDsee and rebootimg many times, I accidentally found a copy of "ACDSee 6.0 PowerPack.msi" in this directory:

C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Installations\{5070B132-9BB6-40A9-A24D-D5B909B5F864}\

If this is true to you, then you'll have an alternative place to import the package from without being worried about the reboot. It's not read-only, either.

Adobe Reader 6.0

You can use this switch to extract the original package of Adobe Reader 6.0 instead of having to install it first for getting those two files:

"F:\Viewers\Adobe Reader\Version 6.0\AR60en.exe" -ne

You can use Start-->Run to do it. The directory is an example, of course!!

The package would be extracted to this directory as it usually would:

C:\WINDOWS\Cache\Adobe Reader 6.0\ENUBIG\

So, you can import the package from there. Still, you need to eliminate the read-only property.

I haven't heard of such a switch before, but it really works.

I got it from this post: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=17477

Thanks for the cool idea Mazin!

I just finished my Acrobat msi and it works like a charm. I am planning on going one step further and trying to eliminate some of the plugins that slow it down so much. I first saw the idea in an Inquirer.net article: How to use liposuction to repair Adobe Reader 6

I have deleted the extra plug-ins on plenty of computers and never missed them.

Anyway, deleting the api files from the data1.cab is easy enough, and I see on the "add" column of WinInstall the list of files that will be copied. Before I try this out, is there any other advice you have?

I usually highlight a component and choose "Not Available" to disable its installation. This is safe.

But since the imported package is merely a copy, then be dead-hearted and go ahead. If problems occur when testing, import another copy. That's it!

However, if you succeed, I'll be pleased to hear from you.

I'll check your link soon to get the idea.