I'm trying to get our corporate Office 2010 installer fully patched via dropping .MSP files in the \Updates folder and am running into a peculiar problem - updates seem to conflict with each other and undo one another's application.

For example, if I drop SP2's extracted .MSP files in the \Updates folder and install Office, I can then run Windows Update and get a list of patches for Office 2010 that doesn't include SP2.  Great, makes sense, I pre-installed it via the Updates folder.

However, when I drop the MSP files from another patch into the folder, even if I rename them so as not to overwrite like-named files from the SP2 application, when I run Windows Update it shows SP2 as an available installation.  It's a reduced filesize, but it's still there.  This suggests to me that some component of SP2 is no longer installing once other updates are added to the folder.

Complicating matters further, re-integrating SP2 then undoes some of the other patches and they show up in the WU update list.

Has anyone had success in getting a fully-patched installation of Office made using offline patching, such that a "Check for Updates" operation will yield no missing patches?  How did you do it?

when I run Windows Update it shows SP2 as an available installation.  It's a reduced filesize, but it's still there.  This suggests to me that some component of SP2 is no longer installing once other updates are added to the folder.

I've seen this happening on Windows 7 systems recently. Some update is included that makes the Service Pack appear and the reason being is a pre-requisite is missing. I know what it is for Windows 7 because I have done the testing for it... It was a manual labor-type task. :)

Hi Celtic,

Also had the same problem and solved it like this:

1 – Added in the folder "update" only the extracted SP2 package;

2-Using McRip tips (mydigitallife.info), I created an installer for the other MSP using InnoSetup (can be done also with WinRAR), with the script below to install:

@echo off

TITLE McRip Office 2010 PRE SP3 Update Pack

COLOR 1F

IF EXIST "*.msi" (

for /F %%i in ('dir /b /o:n *.msi') do (

echo Update: %%i

%%i /passive /norestart

)

)

IF EXIST "*.msp" (

for /F %%i in ('dir /b /o:n *.msp') do (

echo Update: %%i

%%i /passive /norestart

)

)             

EXIT

This installer is run after installation of Office2010 in my Windows Post Install.

Works like a charm :D 

Edited by SunLion