Oject Fix Zip & PKZIPFIX

HoppaLong

I decided to try two zip repair apps before abandoning a huge multi-volume archive I

just downloaded. I'm getting the usual "BAD CRC."

1. Object Fix Zip uses a simple wizard style format. When I select the zip archive and

all the volumes this message appears:

"PLEASE INSERT DISK 1 OF THE MULTI-DISK SET"

I assume the app is attempting to load a floppy disk from the "A" drive. Obviously,

there are no floppy disks! The entire multi-volume archive is in the same directory on a

USB stick.

Object Fix Zip is only a few years old (2008). Why would it not recognize a multi-volume

archive in the same directory? Is there a workaround for this weird problem?

2. I also tried PKZIPFIX.EXE which runs from a command prompt. I copied PK into the

multi-volume directory and typed:

PKZIPFIX FILENAME.ZIP

The instructions for this app are "Usage: PKZIPFIX ZipFile." There are no other commands

or parameters.

It's not working. I'm getting "Bad Command or Filename."

Before I smash my computer with a club, can someone help me?

Before I smash my computer with a club, can someone help me?

Yes/No.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com./jonathan.deboynepollard/FGA/questions-with-yes-or-no-answers.html

There are several other possibilities, whether they work or not depends on the specific archive, on the specific tool that was used to make it and from a number of other factors, including the "specific" kind of corruption the archive has.

A few programs that worked in the past:

http://reboot.pro/topic/12255-need-help-with-virtual-floppy/?p=106682

http://reboot.pro/topic/12255-need-help-with-virtual-floppy/?p=106684

jaclaz

PKzipfix won't "unpack" or repair a multi-volume (floppy) archive. You need to try using Pkunzip first to either test the integrity, or unpack it.

You can try testing the integrity of the zipfile with the -t switch. For example:

Pkunzip -t zipfile.zip

Moreover, if you are close to a thrift store you could buy used floppy disks, then copy the files onto floppies. That's the way Pkzip was intended to be used. I really doubt you'll have much luck doing anything with multi-volume archives unless you're actually using floppy disks with Pkzip/Pkunzip. You will probably have to use a floppy drive, and place each volume onto a floppy.

Then use Pkunzip to unpack the archive.

Pkunzip -d a:\zipfile.zip

You can download the last PKunzip for DOS (v2.50, with long filename support) here:

http://ftp.lip6.fr/pub/pc/garbo/pc/arcers/

the file is called pk250dos.exe

If you check my thread, "The Updated Win98 Mini List of Software" I list several archivers that have multi volume support. "CCY HahaZip" is one of them. Although I've never used it myself, the feature is available, along with fixing damaged zipfiles. (It's been a long time since I've bothered with multi-volume archives, and when I did, I always used ARJ).

Edited by ZortMcGort11

I found some floppy disks in my closet and made a multi-volume archive using Pkzip to see what the finished files would be called.

I produced a zip file called "jumble.zip" on my A drive using the following command "pkzip -a -ex -& a:\jumble.zip test\*.*"

I then looked at both the first and second disks, and both files on each disk were called "jumble.zip"

When Pkzip creates a multi-volume archive, it differentiates between the files/volumes by giving each floppy a different volume Label. The first disk is labeled "PKBACK #001" and the second disk is labled "PKBACK #002" and so on.

Therefore, in your case, without any floppy disks that have a proper volume label indicating the order, it would pretty much be impossible to tell which volume is which when using Pkunzip to decompress them.

Edited by ZortMcGort11

Hey guys. I really appreciate your replies.

I've got at least 200 - 1.44 MB floppies in unopened boxes.

I'm afraid floppies are not the solution.

Each volume is 300 MB. I would need a truck load of floppies!

Most files I download are not that important. This super large

archive is something I really wanted. As far as I know, there are

are no other sites hosting these files. The subject is technical

(electronics), so they are not something most people need or

care about.

I see those links for virtual floppies. Whatever that is, it sounds

interesting.

Edited by Tripredacus
bold not needed