W2K on Satellite A505-6025?

Brahnix

Hey guys, I've got a Toshiba Satellite that I want to throw Win 2k on to dual boot with Win 7. Here's the thing though, it uses the Intel HM55 SATA controller and hangs at "Setup is Starting Windows..."

I know I need to slipstream the drivers onto the disk, but I don't know which ones or how to start. When I get an installer, I'll extract everything and it comes with loads of different folders and .ini's to choose from and I don't know what to pick! Can anyone help me out?

Drivers are a simple approach. You find the Hardware ID for the device you want to install, then find which driver has that HwID in it. There are various ways to get the HwID, from installing another OS, booting a PE and running something like DevManView, or booting DOS and running PCISCAN.

There you can see that Intel provides an INF file for W2k on HM55 but no driver for the disk host:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/search?keyword=Mobile+Intel%C2%AE+HM55+Express+Chipset

One possiblity woud be to set the host on "IDE mode" or whatever you Bios calls it - provided this possiblity exists - and let W2k install its P-Ata drivers. Though, this is a very bad solution:

- You lose the Ahci improvements, especially the Ncq which nicely accelerates the machine through rearranging disks accesses;

- Your Seven probably uses the Ahci mode, and switching the Bios every time you boot the other OS is unbeareable.

So what you need is a non-official driver for the HM55 disk host. Check what Blackwingcat (member here) has done, whether the HM55 is one of his targets. If not, your chances are slim. If yes, you can provide the driver to W2k by an F6 diskette that you prepare and provide at the beginning of the W2k installation, or by integrating the driver on a W2k installation disk made for instance with nLite.

I can't tell whether Seven and W2k live together in harmony. W2k and Xp don't for instance (...only at the beginning, argh!) - and Seven has quite a few differences, for instance the partition table isn't necessarily what fits W2k (=Dos type). Well, members here must have experience with 2k+7.

I can't tell whether Seven and W2k live together in harmony. W2k and Xp don't for instance (...only at the beginning, argh!) - and Seven has quite a few differences, for instance the partition table isn't necessarily what fits W2k (=Dos type).

Actually on a properly configured dual boot there are NO issues whatever for a dual boot between 2K and XP, and as well there are none with any of 2k or XP with Vista or 7 (or even 8...), by "properly configured" dual boot I mean one in which there is a "boot" partition/volume (what the good MS guys call "system") and a separate "system" partition/volume (what the good MS guys call "boot") for each of the Operating Systems installed.

The first one must be a primary partition and active (and can be very small as the only *needed* things on it are NTLDR+NTDETECT.COM+BOOT.INI and, if you want to add a newish NT6 OS also BOOTMGR and the \boot\ folder and it's \boot\BCD, a 32 Mb FAT12 :w00t: volume would be enough, but making it a FAT 16 100 Mb or so would allow ot add - say - FreeDOS or another DOS flavour and leave plenty of space), the other ones can be either primary or logical volumes inside extended (personally I prefer the choice of logical volume inside extended, because allows for using only one of the 4 available MBR partition table slot for n added Operating Systems, so that two entries are kept free in case of need, but in the case of just a 2K and a XP two primaries would do as well).

jaclaz

W2k+Xp : to my understanding, it uses Ntldr and Ntdetect from Xp, and after a few months, when W2k's registry has swollen beyond a limit (like 50MB), Xp's files won't start W2k.

I'm experimentally sure (and it's documented) that the v5.1 start files hang on W2k if you do nothing special. It works only at the beginning. And of course, the error message is nonsense.

There are necessarily workarounds, the most obvious with a desktop being to install W2k and Xp on separate disks put together after the installation and using the Bios to start one or the other. Special non-Microsoft boot software must help as well.

Oh.

Really ?

I want more detail about it. :yes:

W2k+Xp : to my understanding, it uses Ntldr and Ntdetect from Xp, and after a few months, when W2k's registry has swollen beyond a limit (like 50MB), Xp's files won't start W2k.

I found the following article.

http://www.techrepublic.com/forums/questions/windows-2000-doesnt-like-xps-ntldr/

The same problem happens to me. No hints whatsoever on the internet (recovery console with fixmbr and fixboot - win2k or XP version, neither the Win98/Dos fdisk /mbr won't work).Perhaps my registry of win2K is too big with 40MB (system is 6,4 MB) for the XP-ntldr.
Edited by blackwingcat

There are necessarily workarounds, the most obvious with a desktop being to install W2k and Xp on separate disks put together after the installation and using the Bios to start one or the other. Special non-Microsoft boot software must help as well.

Well, it depends on the setup.

For the record, even without any third party software nothing really prevents you from having in the "main" BOOT.INI an entry for a "bootsector" (just like the one for the recovery console) that is a copy of the normal bootsector with "NTLDR" changed to (say) "2KLDR" and with the Win2k loader renamed to W2KLDR and hex-edted to load Coot.ini instead of Boot.ini.

Grub4dos and a NT Boot floppy image is the easiest through "third party".

jaclaz

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! Keeping a separate 5.0 Ntldr must solve it, probably. Elegant!

(Even more elegant would have been, of course, if Microsoft had corrected their 5.1 Ntldr to work properly...)

Just in case of need, some self-promotion :w00t::

http://reboot.pro/topic/2362-makebscmd-alpha-release/

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=24649

jaclaz