Win 8.1 Pro not asking for product key on OOBE

Hi,

So i've got my sysprep image doing all the driver installs etc that I need but the OOBE doesn't ask for a key, it allows the user to accept licensing terms. Its not activated when it finally goes through, but I want it to ask for the key during OOBE.

I've set rearm and skipautoactivation is off. Below is my unattended.xml - there must be a key I guess in the image that it is using to get past the OOBE screen even though the one I use to actually activate is removed as part of the rearm phase.

Do I need to add an empty product key section in the unattend.xml or something, if so where? Pointers appreciated. Need to get this sorted in the next hour ideally.

unattend.xml

Why are you specifying SkipAutoActivation to be false when this is the default setting? It should be removed. So should SkipRearm set to 0, this is also the default setting.

What was the source installation media to create your images?

@Trip, so you're saying that including default settings, though I realize this is redundant and not necessary, can cause problems?  I understand that it is only necessary to include settings which are different than default, I can see how it might help remind one of what the various settings are by including any settings which you might change in any of the builds you make.  It would seem to make comparing settings from one build to another easier.

Cheers and Regards

Why are you specifying SkipAutoActivation to be false when this is the default setting? It should be removed. So should SkipRearm set to 0, this is also the default setting.

What was the source installation media to create your images?

Yes you're right - it's just ignored though.

Source was just Windows 8.1 64bit English US ISO. The first time it did indeed ask for a key when I installed it for Bootcamp but i'm trying to make a clone of it to deploy for my system builds and now it just asks the user to accept a license volume agreement. I've even put product key as XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX but it still won't ask again. 

It's not major problem as once they've set up the account they go in and activate from the settings panel - but I think it would be more professional if they could enter the key whilst creating their user account (and for my novice customers it would help me explain less steps!)

There doesn't appear to be anything in the answer file which would cause OOBE from not presenting the product key page. So presuming the OP had not left out any data, it would be best to fix what can be found as being "wrong."

It is possible to remark XML, that would be better used instead of adding "junk" objects. The only thing I wonder about, is whether Setup can parse through CDATA without causing a problem. :unsure: I never tried it.

EDIT: What type of license does the OS use?

Is that declared by the ISO? I downloaded it from the MSDN link. I believe its OEM, they are the keys i'm using anyway. I see a MAK folder created occasionally i'm not sure why though or what that means. The original 8.1 install was created with a Boot Camp installation USB - so i'm not sure what it does to the installer.

More unnecessary Microsoft complications really - there should just be one version. There's one version of OS X, you either have it or you don't - why the need to split things up to make more money. Well i've answered my own question there - to make money.

Is that declared by the ISO? I downloaded it from the MSDN link.

On the Subscriber Downloads page on MSDN, it is usually in the name of the item. I just went there and see (for example) "Windows 8.1 with Update (multiple editions) (x64) - DVD (English-United Kingdom)" provides VL and Retail downloads. Neither of these are applicable for OEM/SBK. OEM source ISO is not available from MSDN and I'd guess the product keys you are using as from the OEM SBK. You should really be using that media to create your image.

What does the OS name line say on your COAs?