HELP: Dell PC can't install Windows - BSOD on setup

This is a bit old hat but I can't figure out how to solve this.

I get blue-screen-of-death during Windows XP install/setup.

... problem has been detected and Windows ...Technical information:STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF78D6528, 0xC0000034, ....etc

Dell Dimension 8400

It has IDE HDD 10GB Maxtor.

I am aware there's the F6 option of installing SATA drivers. I've tried this and also without.

In BIOS, settings is ATA mode.

The CD-drive isn't working, so am booting using WinSetupFromUSB ... made up of:

- BartPE

- Windows XP setup

- PartedMagic

PartedMagic boots up perfectly fine. It's just BartPE & Windows XP setup gives me BSOD.

Anyone got any bright ideas?

0x7B means that Windows does not have the drivers for your Mass Storage controller... aka IDE/ATA/whatever.

If you get these trying to boot your install media, then you need the drivers for that method. Since you are using USB, you need to put in your USB drivers.

Also since I have not done any of this type of thing, I am moving the topic to the correct place! :)

Actually, your most likely problem is the fact that your running from a USB.

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/120444-how-to-install-windows-from-usb-winsetupfromusb-with-gui/#entry922761

I've had to use this "hacked" NTDETECT even for a USB-based Winbuilder LiveXP.

BTW, PartedMagic is not Windows-Based, so doesn't suffer from the affliction.

What? USB drivers???

Sure we don't need IDE/ATA drivers?

0x7B means that Windows does not have the drivers for your Mass Storage controller... aka IDE/ATA/whatever.

If you get these trying to boot your install media, then you need the drivers for that method. Since you are using USB, you need to put in your USB drivers.

Also since I have not done any of this type of thing, I am moving the topic to the correct place! :)

Thanks so much. It's good to see that this is well known common problem and has been resolved :)

Actually, your most likely problem is the fact that your running from a USB.

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/120444-how-to-install-windows-from-usb-winsetupfromusb-with-gui/#entry922761

I've had to use this "hacked" NTDETECT even for a USB-based Winbuilder LiveXP.

BTW, PartedMagic is not Windows-Based, so doesn't suffer from the affliction.

Thanks so much. It's good to see that this is well known common problem and has been resolved :)

I would say a little more than that, it is so common and so common on Dell's that it is FAQ #3 :whistle:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/116766-faqs/

(which is what you should have checked first, now it would be the right time to check and bookmark the above :yes:, they are handy, should you happen to encounter any of the other very common issues :( )

jaclaz

you can't install "windows xp" from a USB flash drive..

Really :unsure:, then I guess that all the people taking part to this forum that reported success in doing exactly that must be liars. :w00t::ph34r:

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz