High interrupt/DPC; culprit found, now what?

hdelman

Gigabyte GA-MA785GPMT-UD2H, AMD Phenom II X3, Win7Pro64Sp1
I'm having two weird problems, that may be related, or maybe not. Some background... I built this machine five years ago, and recently decided to upgrade to an SSD, and to clean things up by reloading Windows, getting all current AMD drivers, and loading only the apps I care about. The install went well, but as I began using it, I noticed that about once an hour, the active window would freeze, with the message "not responding" on the title bar. Windows was still alive, as I could bring focus to other windows, although often a second window would freeze as well. My only recourse was to wait... 20, 30, sometimes 40 seconds... and then operation would return to normal.

Process Explorer reported that one of my CPU cores was constantly spending 60% or more of its time handling interrupts and DPCs. Interestingly, whenever a window was frozen, this process would drop to nearly zero.

I ran Windows Performance Analyzer, and saw that one CPU core was spending over 60% of its time on interrupts, except for exactly once per second, when CPU DPC usage would spike way up for a few dozen microseconds, coincidental with CPU interrupt usage dropping to zero.

post-403064-0-54574100-1425265864_thumb.

Getting a summary table at the point of the DPC spike showed that almost all of it was due to Usbport.sys.

post-403064-0-80285600-1425265949_thumb.

Getting a summary table from when the interrupt usage was high (away from the previously described spike), showed that almost all of the interrupt usage was split evenly between storport.sys and wdf01000.sys.

post-403064-0-78611800-1425265981_thumb.

I updated my usb drivers in accordance with Microsoft security bulletin MS13-081. DriverView reports version 6.1.7601.17514 for storport.sys, version 1.9.7600.16385 for wdf01000.sys, and version 6.1.7601.18328 for usbport.sys.

The problem begins immediately after boot.  As a test, I booted into Safe Mode, and the problem persisted, even without manually starting any programs.

I'm having a hard time understanding what storport.sys and wdf01000.sys are doing. They are supposedly drivers, but I cannot find them anywhere in Device Manager.  At this point, I have no idea what to do or try next. Any advice would be very appreciated.

Thanks for asking.  Normally, I have many usb devices, including a printer, speakers, hub, bluetooth radio, etc.  However, in consideration of your question, I removed every usb device except for my mouse.  I rebooted, and the problem was still there unchanged, with only the mouse.  Of course, the motherboard itself has several usb hubs on it.

I zipped up two etl files.  DPC_InterruptSafeMode.zip was taken while Windows was in safe mode.  DPC_InterruptNoUSB.zip was taken after you asked me about my USB devices.  The only USB device connected during that analysis, other than the hubs on the motherboard, was my mouse.

The files can be found at:

http://www.rawbw.com/~delman/mystuff/DPC_InterruptSafeMode.zip

http://www.rawbw.com/~delman/mystuff/DPC_InterruptNoUSB.zip

Edited by hdelman

That is the driver package I currently have.  I downloaded just a few weeks ago when I started this build.

It seems to me that the problem is with storport.sys and wdf01000.sys.  One CPU core is spending 60% of its time on nothing but interrupts generated by these two drivers.  As best I can tell, I have the most up-to-date versions.  What is frustrating me is that I have no idea what these two drivers are doing.

I haven't tried the Microsoft ACHI driver.  As soon as I finished loading Windows 7 sp1, I immediately loaded the AMD drivers.

I need to ask, though... why are we discussinng the ACHI driver?  None of the summary tables I've looked at from the etl file mention the ACHI driver.  From what I can see from etl file, the trouble is with storport.sys and wdf01000.sys. 

I haven't tried the Microsoft ACHI driver.  As soon as I finished loading Windows 7 sp1, I immediately loaded the AMD drivers.

I need to ask, though... why are we discussinng the ACHI driver? 

because it causes a lot of ISR usage:

AMD_ISR.png

I've got good news and bad news!  The good news is that the problem seems to have gone away.  The bad news is that I don't know why.

I decided to try to "roll back" the sata driver through Device Manager, because I believed that the last driver would be the one installed along with Windows, which would get me back to a Microsoft sata driver.  After the reboot, I was surprised to still see the AMD driver, even the same version.  Yet, surprisingly, the interrupt/DPC process was down to 1-2%!  I ran DriverView, dumped the data, and compared it to a similar dump from a few days ago.  Other than increments to the load count of a few random drivers, everything was the exactly the same.  As best as I can tell, the roll back didn't do a thing...  except make the problem go away!

So...  I owe you a big "thank you" for pointing me to the sata driver.  If you have any ideas about what might have changed in my system, I'd love to hear them.  At this point, it is all just a mystery to me.

Howard