All's Quiet - So We Wait

NoelC

Already the 26th of February, and the last major Win 10 build was a month ago.  Build 9926 is now "the devil we know"...

And so we wonder...

Will the Windows Update process deliver a viable new build?  Will it be maturing or has Microsoft screwed up even more things?  Will using a local account still be viable?  How long until we can polish up Aero Glass with a new build?  What other functions will Microsoft delete and try to replace with a half-functional Metro/Modern implementation?  What new hosts and brokers will litter up the process list and use up unnecessary resources?

Will there be anything for serious computer users that makes it attractive to upgrade?

It's kind of a sad state of affairs when a "free upgrade" doesn't sound all that attractive, isn't it?

-Noel

I agree, presently I agree that Windows "10",  is an improvement, but it deserves a version number of 8.2, it is only incremental.  They still do not realize shoehorning a phone OS will not work in a business environment.  I believe they will not allow their vision of Windows "10", will not stray from their notion of one OS across all platforms.  At best it will be the worst of all across all platforms, All you have to refer to is "Vista", and "Windows 8", to prove this.  The glory days of Windows 95, NT, 2000, and XP are all over.  Innovation is got to be building on what works efficiently, as well as how to improve it.  

I have long found that a free anything can be one of the most costly things you can receive. Especially something you have to use to do something important to you to get done right.  I would much rather pay for what I want and need than to get what I don't want for free. 

Thus far, it seems that Microsoft et.al. are saying "it is our way or the highway."  Looks like a death wish to me.  They do have a deep enough pocket to servive Vista 3.0 but it is not clear that they will learn any more from that than they did from Visa 1.0 or Vista 2.0.

Sadly the highway has as many or more pot holes as the Microsoft way.  Hence, it is my plan to make Windows 10 as viable for my purposes as I possibly can.  So far so good at build 9926.

I have long found that a free anything can be one of the most costly things you can receive. Especially something you have to use to do something important to you to get done right.  I would much rather pay for what I want and need than to get what I don't want for free.

It is surprising how common this opinion is among people who are professional software developers. :unsure:

Let's not forget how free can mean also freedom and not necessarily or only gratis.

jaclaz

Hi lgriffith,

Glad to see you here.

Imagine an OS that cost $1,000 or more.  Maybe "Windows Content Producer Edition".

That would be the price of admission to creating content, and with many perks.

Imagine for that Cleveland you get not only a stable OS made (and maintained) by the most serious people but with all the best productivity bells and whistles enabled - highly tuned for productivity.  Certified on workstations, tested on multi-monitor systems, no resource limitations.  Beyond that, there's someone who speaks your own language natively that you can interact with, not only to discuss problems but to engage in "next generation" thinking/planning.

Imagine not having to struggle to find The Good in your OS.  Imagine not feeling it's dumbed down for someone who doesn't use a computer AT ALL the way you do.  Imagine not being criticized for not toeing the consumer line.

We can only dream.

I've always thought that Microsoft, since they use their own system to develop their next products, would have to maintain a system that was capable.  Plus the App Store is quite obviously oriented toward USER-produced content, off which Microsoft can skim profits.  It seems awfully self-destructive that Microsoft is actively shunning power use of their system (without anything viable to replace it yet).

-Noel

"It seems awfully self-destructive that Microsoft is actively shunning power use of their system (without anything viable to replace it yet)."

Yet?  Every other Microsoft OS a big fail for the past two decades and now it looks like three in a row.  That does not look hopful for the "yet" to happen in my lifetime.

I would look quite favorably on your developers OS idea and might even be willing to contribute to it.  However, the resulting programs would have to run at native speed on the consumer OS's or a consumer level version of the OS would also have to be provided. 

I suggest, however, there is a very tall mountain to climb.  It is called "device drivers".  Tens of thousands of device drivers to provide with the count rising faster than the price of gasoline.  That is the number one reason why I stick with Windows.  I don't have to provide the drivers for any hardware other than the unique hardware my applications must use.

The alternative would be for Microsoft to release the Windows 7 code base to the development team and then stay out of their way.  That isn't going to happen until long after the 12th of never.

Edited by lgriffith

I'm not a big fan of the "yet" concept either (i.e., that one day all we'll have are Metro/Modern Apps), but Microsoft IS going to kill off the desktop, regardless of whether it's a good idea.  I just think it shouldn't be done until we really DO have something completely viable to replace it.  Maybe that'll be whatever follows Metro/Modern/Universal Apps, I don't know.  But it will be mature and viable only when the majority of people use it because it's actually BETTER, vs., when they're herded there.

I'm thinking that a Windows 10 code base could have selected things from the past resurrected.  They're already doing SOME of that - e.g., the Previous Versions feature is back.  But more is needed - e.g., real desktop polish like Aero Glass, things like a full-featured Windows Backup UI.  And then actual IMPROVEMENTS on the desktop, such as, I don't know, maybe better mechanics for window positioning (e.g., "open it where I last used it").

Sure, I can imagine developers using a "big" system would want to be able to run their Metro/Modern Apps in a window.  Fine.  FULLY integrate such things, so that while the desktop is king, it's possible to have a Metro/Modern App run right there (possibly with size presets easily available to emulate certain devices, etc.)  I'm flabbergasted that more is not being made of virtualization in that area.  It's not like Metro/Modern Apps actually integrate with other desktop applications in any meaningful way anyway (e.g., cut/paste, drag/drop).

Given as much as I've been able to make of the desktop in build 9926, I have confidence that it could still be pulled off without throwing away the code base, but by resurrection.  And this would have to be Microsoft doing this - not some 3rd party.

I'm also imagining a "Windows Corporate" brother to "Windows Content Creator" that might be better received by businesses as a viable Windows XP / 7 successor.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Just chiming in... I wonder what happened with Copenhagen concept Cullen Dudas presented a few years ago. Microsoft, did you make him an offer to lead your UI designers team yet?

I missed this when it first came out.  For others who also missed it, the Copenhagen Concept was from 2009, almost SIX YEARS AGO.  It sure makes the current desktop experience of Win8.x, including Win10, pale in comparison.  But then the same can be said for the Longhorn Concept from 2003, TWELVE YEARS AGO:)

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt