Enabling desktop composition with Classic theme

mrbigmouth502

I finally got around to installing Windows 7 on my main desktop recently, and it seems to be working well, but I would like to know if there's a way to enable desktop composition while using the classic theme. I can't stand the way the Aero theme looks, everything is just so big and ridiculous, while the classic theme actually has some sophistication to it, and with small icons enabled for the taskbar, I can make it look almost just like 2000, which had my favorite UI of any version of Windows.

Anyway, I don't care about Aero peek or any of that other stuff, I just want to enable composition so I can offload some of the work to the GPU, and leave my CPU some more breathing room. I can use desktop composition with any theme I want on Linux, so why not on Windows?

I've heard that Windows 8 can do composition for its classic theme, and Vista has more desktop composition features enabled for its classic theme as well, but I'm not interested in using either version.

I'm sure someone out there has found a way to hack it in. Even if it's just an Aero theme that looks like classic...

win8's DWM works differently than that in vista and 7

it is always "on", and MS removed code that forcedly disables DWM

while in vista/7 as soon you select basic theme, OS reverts to XP theme engine (CPU)

and classic ... well thats just pure naked shell ...

altho I don't see reason to have DWM with classic look

unless directdraw causes you bugs ?

Edited by vinifera