Can Windows XP Pro x86 *Safely* TRIM an SSD?

11ryanc

... Beware some SSD makers like Crucial don't bundle a software tool for manually TRIMming, make sure the SSD brand and model you get for XP/Vista comes with such a tool ...

The 'Pro' version of SSD Tweaker can manually TRIM many brands of SSD.

ad5ZKkyA.jpg

Sorry to bump an old thread. I never did get around to slipping XP on my SSD due to limited space, although I am running Vista SP2 off it at this time. Occasionally play with XP on another disk. Would you happen to know if SSD Tweaker cooperates with Sandisk SSD Plus series? I'm presented with a message that reads, "This function may not work with your operating system, but your drive may support Garbage Collection still". That said, the operation appears to complete regardless. Was disappointed to see that no toolkits are provided from Sandisk, but the price of this drive wasn't much to complain over. If she pops, not quite what you'd call a costly replacement. Steering towards an 850 Evo next time I go shopping.

MY methode

*Boot from Windows 7/vista/ 8.1(anyone) to partition then cancel setup (donot continue further)

*Now boot from XP cd to install

*Install Trimming utility come from your manufacturer(My ssd is from intel and my trimming utility is Intel SSD ToolBox)(using Repack By Rick from wincert)

*Install SSD Tweaker and optimize

*Super fast performance

MYRIG(MoStly used one)

*Windows XP professional(x86 )(nlited iso only 190mb)(Sp3Qfe)(customized with XPTSP,VistamizerCombination with some own modes)

*Windows 8.1 Enterprize x64

*Intel Core i7 2600k

*120Gb intel SSd + 1tb Seagate Hdd

*Gigabyte H61M-WW

*Amd Radeon 9600 pro

Performance is jet fast.

I bought SSD Tweaker Pro and tested.

No AHCI-TRIM Support
Direct-Drive GC Mode Only.

ERROR: AHCI Not Detected.
Download the latest drivers for your Mainboard/Chipset/RAID and Use the Enable AHCI button below.

Storage Device Report:

Selected Drive:
N:\ - Data SSD (22GB) =  - NTFS
Drive Free Space: 562MB
Drive Total Space: 22GB

Press Run to start the process.

It seems to support only Microsoft AHCI driver. (Vista and later)

Not supported Intel AHCI driver

And this application execute " fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify" every second.

But this parameter supported Widnows 7.

And I found some bugs.

I think this application is useless.

http://blog.livedoor.jp/blackwingcat/archives/1922932.html

Here is detail report. (Japanese)

I'm sad this wasteful spending :no:

Edited by blackwingcat

O&O Defrag 17 (from what I recall, 18 installs on XP if you use Orca to remove the version check) worked to TRIM my Samsung 840 Pro under XP Professional 32-bit with Intel's SATA controller driver installed and AHCI enabled - at least according to https://github.com/CyberShadow/trimcheckanyway.

(Although I just ended up using Samsung Magician anyway for the short time I had XP installed)

• 3 weeks later...

... Sorry to bump an old thread. I never did get around to slipping XP on my SSD due to limited space, although I am running Vista SP2 off it at this time. Occasionally play with XP on another disk. Would you happen to know if SSD Tweaker cooperates with Sandisk SSD Plus series? I'm presented with a message that reads, "This function may not work with your operating system, but your drive may support Garbage Collection still". That said, the operation appears to complete regardless. Was disappointed to see that no toolkits are provided from Sandisk, but the price of this drive wasn't much to complain over. If she pops, not quite what you'd call a costly replacement. Steering towards an 850 Evo next time I go shopping.

There's now a SSD tool from Sandisk called 'Dashboard' that sports a manual TRIM option:

ExIHSHQc.png

Downloadable from here: http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/15108/~/sandisk-ssd-dashboard-support-information

I use that SanDisk utility on Windows 8.1, which won't natively TRIM FAT32 drives.

Unfortunately it won't work on Windows XP.

I can also TRIM my FAT32 SSDs using Rudolph Loew's DOS TRIM program (yes, really!)

:)

You should be able to buy it (it's not free) here, although the site doesn't appear to be working at the moment.

Rudolph is a member of MSFN, user name rloew, so you could just send him a personal message here about it if you're interested.

:)

Edited by Dave-H

• 1 year later...

Having XP or 2000 is like doing the most straight thing. Like in: not giving in to some sort of repression. Basically it is the best, most valuable thing to do. 

It does not have to be an unpleasant experience, if prepared well. Like a hobby. If not it can be unpleasant. And the real thing is, that somewhere else something must change. It is a common problem. Not an individual one. 

Why use FAT32 with XP? It is said here: http://www.prime-expert.com/articles/a06/performance-tuning-of-windows-xp-on-ssd-based-netbooks.php Or this speaks of it/ information. Dave-H mentioned DOS TRIM. I read it and I happened to have this link.

Personally I think: not to be ''cheap'', but because FAT32 is a better file system, apparently. Because it is less complicated. I think it is a whole new discussion. And other things in this post too. But one could also ask him/herself: security and XP, security. How is this ok? 

• 5 months later...

Hi,

Tried everything to trim my fat32 xp system. ssd tweaker, not good, refuses to trim fat32. OOdefrag doesn't like it too. The only one is solid doctor suite that seems to work. Anvil storage pro and Torqx2trim seem to work, but as it takes ages, it seems to be zero filling only.

There is also terabytes bootit bare metal that offers a trim function from dos, it seems to work too.

But, and this is my question with no answer until now : since trim is supposed to be a way to communicate between OS and ssd, and could a trim from dos bring any good, if xp is not aware of it? Not clear at all on the internet. People are repeating what they already read only. I admit that I have poor knowledge, unless the basics : xp doesn't support trim, manual trim is possible through toolboxes, ok.

The problem is I need that for fat32 (not supported with many boxes). Controller is ICH7 (dell 6400).

Thank you.   

5 hours ago, muzungu said:

The problem is I need that for fat32 (not supported with many boxes). Controller is ICH7 (dell 6400).

Thank you.   

Go here:

http://rloew.x10host.com/catalog2.htm

get the DOS TRIM demo:

http://rloew.x10host.com/Programs/TRIMCHK.ZIP

Add an option to dual-boot DOS to your machine.[1]

Test the program and see if it works on your machine.

If it does buy the full program and - once in a while, let's say once per month or so - you boot to Dos, Trim the SS and live happily.

jaclaz

[1] if you need help to do this just ask.

6 hours ago, muzungu said:

thank you. And I know this program.

I'm wondering how a trim done with dos could be "understood" with xp. Sorry for my ignorance.

Trim isn't a "state of mind", It is a particular action done to a SSD (or similar) and it is  (much) like cutting your hair.

You go to the barber and he cuts your hair with scissors, you have a friend cutting your hair with a razor, you use the old method of the torch and wet towel :w00t::ph34r:, it doesn't matter, the end result is that your hair are objectively and undoubtedly shorter than before, as an example your hat that was a little bit too tight would now be slightly loose.

A "trimmed" SSD is trimmed, no matter what made the trim.

To be more technical *something* tells the internal controller of the SSD which blocks are considered "suitable to be trimmed" and then it is the SSD's own internal controller that proceeds to the trimming.

So, if you prefer, it is more like your mother (or wife, or friend) telling you "Have your hair cut".

What sometimes is confusing is that some OS (like Windows 7 and later, BUT ONLY on NTFS drives, not on FAT32 drives) have "automatic trim", i.e. as soon as a file is deleted (really deleted, not put in the bin) the OS notifies the SSD that the extents (area) once occupied by the file is now re-usable and the SSD controller decides whether to add that area to the spare sectors or to use it next write, etc.

jaclaz

First, I'd like to thank you very much.

I think I was misled with what I read on the internet, because most of the time they're talking about trim with NTFS/Windows 7 and above environment. 

So in my case I'm still wondering if after trimming fat32 partitions, it would be good to keep the laptop switched on for some time (hours?) in dos environment or on the bios page only, so as to let garbage collection  work. Some said that because windows systems are not so often at idle, garbage collection is not always working fine. Don't know.

Thanks again.