++ Windows 10 Tips, Tricks and Tweaks ++

DosProbie

• 2 weeks later...

just removed the OneDrive from the left tree of window, it's in Regedit

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1063533789-670641239-3982941680-1001\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{018D5C66-4533-4307-9B53-224DE2ED1FE6}

modify DWORD value System.IsPinnedToNameSpaceTree to 0 (zero) and it will be gone

8AiWeaP.png
P.S.: in build 10056 the path to key is 

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-3999496068-34846704-2295257469-1001\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{018D5C66-4533-4307-9B53-224DE2ED1FE6}
Edited by drakulaboy

Good - another way to do it for those who would like to run OneDrive.  I had found that if you remove OneDrive entirely it will not show there either.

Now for the hard thing:  How can we get rid of Quick access?

-Noel

Why get rid of it. It's similar to the favorites, but when you go directly in it you get to see some junk. For win+e I wrote something long time ago

download RegOwnershipEx http://winaero.com/comment.php?comment.news.210

open it and paste this 

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{679f85cb-0220-4080-b29b-5540cc05aab6}\ShellFolder

press Enter, and close Regedit, then press Enter again to open it again

Now select ShellFolder on left panel and double-click on Attributes on right panel

change Value data from a0100000 to a0600000 and save changes.

Log out and log in again

*Peter Griffin's Tadaaaa :D

GVJTUTU.png

Outstanding!  I had gotten so far as to try changing that attribute to A0000000 but I had not tried A0600000.  Thank you!

As far as "why to do it"...  This is just right for someone who only wants to see hard drives and network systems.  No other distractions makes it a few percent easier to get right to what you want, rather than incessantly having to ignore visual noise.

NoMoreQuickAccess.png

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

; This registry file hides "Quick access" from the root namespace of File Explorer

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{679f85cb-0220-4080-b29b-5540cc05aab6}\ShellFolder]

"Attributes"=dword:a0600000

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{679f85cb-0220-4080-b29b-5540cc05aab6}\ShellFolder]

"Attributes"=dword:a0600000

Amazingly enough, the system seems to work more deterministically (e.g., Explorer is substantially free from "failure to update" issues) if one works with just hard drives and network shares.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

well I personally use the favs here and then (especially to fastly get to the profile folder of the other system (coz there are most of my DLs) what is truly annoying is the fact that you cant just rename in QA Link but also rename the folder in the process (which was in fact no problem with the favorites feature from Vista to 8)...

but any Idea how you can pin the favs/QA from 7 to 10 to the top like it was in vista, that sth I really like in Vista...

Edited by My1

to be more in detail when you get into a deeper folder structure the nav panel is bound to scoll down eventually, in Vista the favs were seperated

the pic in the attachment nails it.

post-398298-0-85071400-1428340869_thumb.

• 1 month later...

If you Hate that gosh awful ugly recycle bin on build 10041, you can just change out the imageres.dll file from build 9926.
~DP
Build_10041_Updated_Recycle_Bin.jpg

Like your desktop weather and time. Please pm me to educate. Thanks! Maybe share with all by posting a reply!

Edited by jcy

It's a AccuWeather widget that I have been using since Windows 7 from a Dell machine that works in Windows 8 and 10 and uses a registry run file at boot-up.

~DP

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]"AccuWeatherWidget"="\"C:\\Program Files\\AccuWeather\\accuweather.exe\" \"C:\\Program Files\\AccuWeather\\start.umj\" --startup"

NOTE:  This is VERY experimental at this point.

Some interesting registry values seen being read by ApplicationFrameHost when it first starts...

• Set as a decimal percentage, this one seems to resize Modern Apps...

[ HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Scaling ]

LegacyAppScaleFactor    REG_DWORD    85

• This one seems to remove the minimum window size restriction...

[ HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ImmersiveShell\ApplicationFrame ]

DisableMinimumSize          REG_DWORD    1

UseLessScreenSpace.png

Please do not try these on a critical system.  I only just discovered them and I'm not sure what all the implications may be.

-Noel

Working very well on 10074!  :thumbup  :thumbup  :thumbup

Yes, I found that as well.  Isn't it nicer to have more control over your own system?  To know Microsoft puts those capabilities in there but doesn't give us a way to configure them really makes it seem like they're being selfish, no?

By the way, is the calculator still dark in build 10074?  I can no longer run it (since I disabled UAC), but last I looked they had turned it to dark characters on a light background - which frankly looked worse than anything I've ever seen.

-Noel

Yes, I found that as well.  Isn't it nicer to have more control over your own system?  To know Microsoft puts those capabilities in there but doesn't give us a way to configure them really makes it seem like they're being selfish, no?

By the way, is the calculator still dark in build 10074?  I can no longer run it (since I disabled UAC), but last I looked they had turned it to dark characters on a light background - which frankly looked worse than anything I've ever seen.

-Noel

It is dark if you do this mod --

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Themes\Personalize]

"SystemUsesLightTheme"=dword:00000000