Windows 8.1 updates

HaxbyClive

Been trying to install the updates windows 8.1 it says it needs. 72 of them apparently. I get "failed to install. error 80070020" Clicking on further details says "nothing found".

I've tried clearing out the Software Distribution folder, but couldn't delete Reporting Events because it was still open by Application Information.

Tried to net stop that but that wouldn't run (even as administrator).

Now mcAfee has announced it wants to upload 73 updates and looks like it is locked on first one Update to WIndows 8.1 x64.

I also tried a refresh system in the hope that might have cleaned out what ever the problem was.

Any ideas?

The "traditional" way (Vista :ph34r: or 7) is to attempt installing the update in Safe Mode or clean restart:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-update-error-80070020

cannot say whether this may work in 8.1 as it did on earlier systems.

Also, knowing the specific update may make a difference, as an example KB2919355 has been in the past a known issue, see:

http://www.softpedia.com/blog/How-to-Fix-80070020-80073712-and-0x800f081f-Errors-on-Windows-8-1-Update-437334.shtml

jaclaz

You can experiment, but the best of my knowledge to this problem has only one reason, and also only one way to fix it.

If I am wrong, it will be useful to you.
Otherwise, I have to say that Windows is damaged and the treatment is still really only one option. All the others are cheating themselves.

Run the following System File Checker command in an elevated window.

SFC /VERIFYONLY

Does the system pass the check?

If it fails, you may be able to improve things by running the following commands in an elevated window.

SFC /SCANNOW

If the above fails, the following may help it, after which you should run the SFC /SCANNOW command again.

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

I encourage you to read up on these commands before running them.

-Noel