UEFI Installation on a 4K Native display

Tripredacus

So as I've noted elsewhere before, WinPE for Windows 8 and 8.1 will use a display's native resolution if the hardware supports GOP in UEFI mode. Windows 10 seems to be the same way... and this WILL be a problem. Testing on a notebook with a native 4k display... installation is slightly... difficult:

20150211_153215_zpshjum1gez.jpg

Picture is bad but it gets the point across. When I get hands-on with this specific system, I will get clearer pictures.

*NOTE: This will be a problem for Windows 8/8.1 as well.

It was very difficult to get any sort of focus on this display. Here are the best pics I will be able to get:

Clearer one of the language selection screen.

20150213_162046_zps0nfcui1k.jpg

Close-up of the EULA screen. Obviously the GUI doesn't support this screen resolution properly.

20150213_162147_zpsccswx7du.jpg

Despite being a super-high resolution, the advanced drive options box will only show one partition at a time.

20150213_162229_zpsfy7u00t9.jpg

Here is a longer shot. The "white square" in the middle is the box from the previous pic. It may give you a sense of scale as for how small it is. Also look at the "steps" on the bottom left corner.

20150213_162409_zpsyrgamu0l.jpg

Microsoft may want to reconsider not being able to disable WinPE's function of using the native resolution when booted in UEFI mode.

I always wonder about systems where the basic design is left to the last minute...

Ever see the film "Brazil"?  Think tiny screens with Fresnel lenses (on which the entire office watches soap operas while the boss is not watching).

-Noel