recovery console on boot

evilvoice

ok...well this is just info about having the recovery console on boot (this assumes that you have added just the necessary files for only recovery) Ok, well I went through the files in this minimal set and saw spcmdcon.sys...this is what loads recovery console. It has a lot of info about recovery console...if someone wants to take the time to find out how to allow those commands that you must normally set in the group policy editor, this would be the file (I suppose, not sure, but it does seem that it is this file that allows it or disallows). I also took everything out of txtsetup.sif OSLoadOptions (normally noguiboot fastdetect and something else is there) and put /spcmdcon...this didnt work, but it seems that there is SOME command when put into OSLoadOptions that will allow us to bypass the normal blue setup screen and press R...I will do some more looking, but if anyone wants to help out, it would be greatly appreciated.

I did post recently regarding the recovery console on the multi boot dvd no one appeared to be interested. I have included the xp pro recovery console on my dvd & it works however i do have a problem with the admin password issue or a workaround. I was able to get the original image from a post on the CD Forum, previously posted this info.

• 11 months later...

Concerning password resets which can be used in RecCons.

You could use the bootable recovery console build made by OOBlueConXXL which has a password reset tool + many others. Or you try something like ChangeNTPassword by Peter Nordahl-Hagen or EBCD.

As i know, there are 3 different RecCons bootable ISO's circulating. One is a 2000 build, the other is XP SP1 Home ed. build. A third is the win2000 bootable reg repair utility merged with the bootable XP RecCons build. You can also make a 2003 build if you install RecCon to HD and know how to replace/rename the proper files to achieve a bootable CD copy.

I have not seen any method to bypass the blue screen showing press'r' to ... and bypass admin password issues automatically. A good thing too! To bypass or reset account password puts private / EFS files in jeopardy.

About Recovery Console, I got little bit different approach.

On every machine I got required files (cmdcons directory), but dont have it enabled in boot.ini. Instead I got special boot cds with modified boot.ini, so my technicians can use recovery console from local hdd.