XP Pro keeps rebooting

peter777

I added a HDD containing Win XP pro (SP3). I can't boot to it, it keeps on rebooting. This hard drive was from another computer, an older computer, so possibly it is a drivers issue ??

Have read various articles about this, but seems they rely on being able to boot into safe mode. I can't boot into safe mode. I can select it, but it only goes so far and then reboots again.

When I select safe mode, it displays the drivers, and seems to stop at aswRvrt.sys . A google search on that file, it is an Avast file I think. Could XP Pro also be unable to boot because this computer has a newer cpu, graphics card,etc ? That said, it is 6 years old.

Please advise.

Peter777

Edited by peter777

You can't just move one installation to an other motherboard and expect it to run. Maybe a repair (booting from XP CD, same version, same service pack, same Internet Explorer version) could fix that. Not sure. Also you will have to reactivate XP as all the devices the activation is linked to have been replaced.

Ponch is correct. You'll also need the COA key from the old PC unless the Current PC is the same Vendor, in which case the Internal Key (found in the Other HDD Registry "SOFTWARE" Hive) can be used with the "I386" folder found "somewhere" in that HDD (the *full* Install, not the ServicePack folder) plus the OEMBIOS.xxx files "somewhere" on that HDD. The OEM key on that HDD can be gotten using this tool -

http://www.drowaelder.de/winpe/keyfinder-pe/keyfinder-pe.htm

Of course, you'll have to have a WindowsPE (or a LiveXP) to run it if that's the *only* OS in that PC. Otherwise, hook it up to a running from another HDD OS andf get it "remotely". Note that the procedure is *only* useful if it's currently hooked up to the same OEM Vendor (e.g. Dell) MoBo. Otherwise, the COA key is *absolutely* necessary as cross-swapping Vendor Mobo's will *not* work.

Ponch is absolutely correct, but you haven't provided much in the way of details. Usually an OEM install has a "hidden partition" on it with the Restore To Factory Files. If it's not OEM, then you'll *have* to have that COA Key (also found in that Hive). In either case, you'll have to have the *same edition* Source Files (or those off the HDD as said above) for a Repair Install (repeating what Ponch already stated).

HTH

(Clarifying/extending Ponch post only, with additional helpful link.)

I added a HDD containing Win XP pro (SP3). I can't boot to it, it keeps on rebooting. This hard drive was from another computer, an older computer, so possibly it is a drivers issue ??

The request is not supported. Expect some trouble.

Press F8 at boot and disable automatic reboot: which BSOD do you read?

The first idea is mass storage controller:

guessed: goto BIOS and enable IDE emulation mode

More detailed informations are required:

which old and new hardware?

which drivers are used at old system?

Thanks for your replies. I do notice when it tries to boot in XP, that there is a (very quick) blue screen, but I can't pause it to see what is written there. I will try the F8 to disable auto reboot. I can actually view the entire drive from Kubuntu. Here is boot.ini

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Sorry for not giving more details. The PC that I used that HDD in for XP Pro was a asus p2-350. It had less ram and an old video card. The drive is a 250Gb sata seagate. I had used the same display/monitor through a KVM switch. The software was purchased probably about 10 years ago. I still have that CD with the COA on it.

The new computer (well 6 yrs old) is an asus also. If I could stop the display at boot and record that info, it may help. If possible, I don't want to have to reinstall XP pro, as I also have some old win95B software on it that I use from time to time.

I have managed to take a video of the startup and freeze that frame.

post-365135-0-84168200-1422833046_thumb.

Edited by peter777

If you want help, you will need to provide more accurate info about the new motherboard. (Asus is just a brand).

Also you say you boot Kubuntu, are you booting XP directly from the "added" HDD (as single or 1st HDD) and not from a multiboot from an other HDD?

Also SATA being introduced after 2002, I guess a 250GB SATA drive on a P2 motherboard was hooked on an an added controller (if P2-350 really is your former processor).

Apparently, you had that SATA connected to a SATA Add-In card, right? Had to be for it to be running on such an old PC.

"Another Asus" doesn't tell us anything. Have you looked in the BIOS for a setting to disable AHCI Mode (if it exists) as cdob suggested?

Since you own the XP -and- you're posting from a functional PC, try this -

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/172264-switch-ahci-to-ide/#entry1082327

Build an "Ultimate Boot CD" from your XP-CD on the PC you're posting from, burn it, boot to it, and run the Fix to switch to IDE Drivers  . You *still* need to switch in the BIOS from SATA (AHCI) to PATA (IDE) to get it to boot. You'll also need to Re-Activate the Windows since the MoBo changed.

Alternative is to (on the PC you're on) is to slipstream all the Updates on the Working PC, boot to it, and Repair Install as Poch suggested. You *should* be able to retain any non-MS Software Installs but not any (many/most?) of the Microsoft Optional Add-Ons (like dotNet, Silverlight, etc.) You will *not* lose any Data Files.

Get this -

http://xdot.tk/

Use it to get the Updates (includes IE8), go get the latest nLite -

http://www.nliteos.com/

Get the Service Pack 3 from MS (probably need since your CD was bought long ago) -

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=24

Install nLite, select the Service Pack File, select all of the UDC Hotfixes, tell nLite to make an ISO image, burn that Image to a CD, and do the Repair Install.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978788

What you want is an "In-Place Upgrade" (Method 2). You could even (should be able to) go to the XP CD's Recovery Console then change directory to the CD and run "I386\WINNT32.EXE" to start it (I *think*).

!WARNING! If you do -not- use Method#2, you may have a profile mess (could be wrong - may apply to using an older Service Pack level CD).

HTH

EDIT!!! I see Ponch is trying to extract further info from you (previous post). Please answer...

Edited by submix8c

The new motherboard is shown at http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P5QLD_PRO/

I have Kubuntu as primary drive (sata1) and XP as the secondary drive (sata2). I'm using grub to boot to XP, which simply swaps the drives and then windows "thinks" it is the first drive. Also I have tried in BIOS to set the win xp drive as the primary and it just hangs. The BIOS has been set to IDE mode (i.e. not AHCI) all along.

My apologies about the old computer. I gave it away and have no info. It wasn't a P2-350, but it was also a P5 asus, that's all I remember. It had SATA, it was just when SATA started.

I used the XP CD from Microsoft to boot from. It said press any key , which I did and then it just hung.

Edited by peter777

So... you're posting from Kubuntu? :ph34r: You'll play heck slipping your XP on that. :w00t: HAVE you looked in the BIOS! Your documentation says you can and *should* change it to IDE for XP.

Storage Configuration->SATA Configuration->Enhanced->Configure SATA As IDE

Do that for your XP HDD. You *should* be able to leave the Kubuntu one alone. I would check, though - *do* you have that one set as IDE? :unsure:.

Stop x7B is a *driver* problem and usually associated with -

1 - SATA Drivers for the HDD

2 - Chipset Drivers (e.g. old board was Via and your new one is an Intel)

I *suppose* you could manually slipstream SP3 under Kubuntu by copying files from the Package into a Flat File XP.. :unsure: I've done it before (for fun) on a Windows PC but it's *very* tedious.

Do you have a friend with a running Windows OS, Windows 2000 or later?

EDIT!!! re - the "hang". You said you boot Kubuntu as Primary. *DISABLE* that HDD in the BIOS before you boot to the CD!!! *OR* temporarily disconnect it and connect the XP HDD in its place.

*ALSO* you're making a biiiig mistake if you think you can use that CD for a Repair Install - it *has* to be pre-Updates ("10 years ago") and *will* goof up everything! All of your Profiles will be screwed up with brand new ones created with "<machine name><profile name>.000" foldenames!

Side note - is that CD in perfect condition (i.e., no scratches, etc.)? If not, beg your local Video Rental place into running it through their Disk Cleaner/Fixer.

Edited by submix8c

Just checked the BIOS again, and SATA is configured as IDE. I worked out how to (properly) get the CD to boot. The XP HDD had to be set as first. Booted to CD, and selected the "R" option for repair. It wanted the admin password, only alowed 3 attempts and tried what I thought was the admin pwd. Is there a method to reset the admin pwd externally ? Copy a file from Kubuntu ?

The XP pro CD has SP2 on it. I have SP3 on a CD as well.

Yes, you can *reset* the password *but* did you not read what I said? About having SP3 as *part* of the XP CD, and *not* separate?

And you do *not* want a "Repair Install"!!! You want "In Place Upgrade"! Do *not* press "R" - press "Enter"! Read "Method 2" (In Place Upgrade) at the MS link *again*, please. Just for fun, if you want to wait, I'll test an XP-SP3 and *try* an "In-Place Upgrade" with an XP-SP2 CD, but I do *not* believe it will work!

Alternatively, I'll give *complete* instructions on how to Manually Slipstream SP3, provided your Kububtu has a method of creating a Bootable ISO/Joliet CD Image and burn it.

Sorry, you'll have to wait until tomorrow. It's 8:45pm here and my supper is getting cold.

And you do *not* want a "Repair Install"!!! You want "In Place Upgrade"! Do *not* press "R" - press "Enter"! Read "Method 2" (In Place Upgrade) at the MS link *again*, please.

I did as per your instructions, and the (XP) install went fine. I'm now able to boot into XP Pro.   :D

Thanks to everyone for your help with this problem, much appreciated.