Windows 10 DEVELOPMENT

bigmuscle

What did you do to get double caption buttons?

Making Modern Apps conform to the desktop theme doesn't seem to me doable at all at the moment.  ModernFrame.dll simply didn't work when I tried it.  Perhaps Big Muscle will have something that better integrates the Modern Apps when the software is released, though in my world Modern Apps won't see use so I don't care much.

I suppose it's just barely possible build 10162 will be the general release, but who can say?  Seems like they have to have the build done somewhat in advance of the Big Day, or it'll go out without any testing at all.

-Noel

Microsoft had signed Build 10176 as first RTM so far and 1 more build due to be released to the Insiders before RTM

ModernFrame.dll might be partially working and screwing things up.  I'd remove it from the AppInit_DLLs registry key if I were you, until Big Muscle makes a compatible version.

-Noel

it's no big deal for me. I don't use edge that much...

Geez, do you realize this means they actually think Win 10 is viable as is?

Somehow in the recesses of my mind the conceptual thought "the gulf between their dreams and reality" keeps presenting itself.

-Noel

AeroGlass for build 10130 doesn't work well for me on build 10162. Soon after it starts, all effects disappear and I end up with lame white window borders everywhere. Happens almost every time any window gains or loses focus. Actually, if I start it and wait about half minute, then switch to another window, it will happen immediately, but if I start it and immediately and try switching windows, it will happen after few tries.

Log also complains about missing symbols and DWM incompatibility. I couldn't obtain updated symbols. Oh well, I'm sure things will resolve when the final build is released.

You need donation.key for it to work.

Make no difference....

The reason I searched for and found this forum is that I'm having this same issue, too. AeroGlass for build 10130 was working perfectly for me until I upgraded to build 10162. Now the transparency and glass effects all show up just fine for about the first 20 to 30 seconds after startup (or if I click on any window sooner than that).But then everything switches to solid colors and no transparency. I can even close the dwm.exe command window (which forces it to restart itself) and the transparency will return for another 20 to 30 seconds, without restarting Windows.

bigmuscle... I've noticed in the past that AeroGlass has stopped working after Microsoft has released most new builds, until you've had time to release a new debug version. So I assume this will be fixed eventually. No rush. I just wanted to make sure you're aware  :-)

dhjohns... I didn't quite understand what you meant by "you need donation.key for it to work." Were you referring to this issue where transparency goes away after a short time, or were you just referring to the symbols issue that UCyborg also reported? I would be happy to make a donation if it would make the transparency stick, but I don't really understand how it would. I think we just need to wait for a newer debug release.

As I already said, Windows 10 is still under development and there are still changes in every DWM build so it makes no sense to hurry and tune Aero Glass for every build. Last Aero Glass debug version is designed for build 10130 and if somebody got it working on b10162, it is just by chance, completely random, nothing that you could influence.

Perfect, thanks bigmuscle! That's all I needed to know. I don't mind being patient and waiting -- in fact, a new build came out just today, so it makes perfect sense that you wouldn't develop for every build. I was just a little worried when a few other users said it was working for them... I was afraid I might have broken my installation of it.

I'm waiting to use Aero Glass until RTM is out. Too many builds recently, 10166 just came out, 

Ditto for me as well and that might be BM's strategy as well. Waiting for RTM gives him a static platform to work from as opposed to the TP which is constantly in flux.

That would be a nice, traditional thought but Microsoft has promised Win 10 will not be static.  We can hope that the (as jaclaz puts it) the Good Microsoft Guys will not modify DWM and its related components as much or as often, but I see no reason why they won't since they seem to have identified software that seeks to change the system as "bad", and they know their changes wear down those who seek to have Windows work otherwise.

That being said, 10166 seems to work just the same as 10162 did for me.  Perhaps they ARE slowing down their rate of change.

-Noel

That would be a nice, traditional thought but Microsoft has promised Win 10 will not be static. 

I wouldn't trust Microsoft promises. They also promised that Win10 will be designed according to user's feedback and they have done completely opposite thing.

I'm so sick of all the hype...bringing back the Start Menu seems to be the only pitch Microsoft can sell.  When the final version has finally been released we may get an objective, no-nonsense review.  Someone posted a question on one of the other forums about the advantages of Windows 10 over Windows 8 or 7.  Pages and pages of subjective responses with only one concrete improvement: support for ReFS!  If bigmuscle can't save us I'm sticking with Windows 7.  

Hi, AeroGlass works perfectly at this 10166, and thanks to you @NoelC and your Atlas Theme with little redaction looks perfect

dcee7f2ddfad9f84.JPG 7fb74cb5eadb121a.JPG 7f238677639c6ddf.JPG

dd7f2ff5f630b049.png

sorry for my bad english
Edited by jofkata81

I'm so sick of all the hype...bringing back the Start Menu seems to be the only pitch Microsoft can sell

Don't forget DirectX 12, they've been promoting that quite much too... 

I wouldn't trust Microsoft promises. They also promised that Win10 will be designed according to user's feedback and they have done completely opposite thing.

It is designed according to user feedback. The complacent yes-men feedback.