Windows 10 DEVELOPMENT

bigmuscle

The latest Windows Updates (KB3081441 and KB3081444) going in here on my Win 10 test system as I write this... 

The updates are coming a bit fast and furious with Win 10, eh?  Can't say we didn't expect that.  I truly hope such updates don't break nice 3rd party programs like Aero Glass continuously.  The developers will almost certainly grow tired of trying to keep up.

Now the updates are finished and the system is logged back in...

The Windows build here (noting that I'm no longer on the Insider track as I use a local account) is still 10240.  Aero Glass for Win 8.1+ still seems to work just fine...

AfterUpdates08182015.png

-Noel

Annoyingly due to how IE history DOESN'T actually show every site visited on a given day.. no link to share.

I came across a piece discussing the highest rated complaints/feature requests for Win10.

Naturally aeroglass was among the top (But not THE top apparently) requests.

There was an argument/explanation put by Gabe, given that M$ put transparency & blur into most things (start/notifications/volume) EXCEPT the titlebars, BECAUSE it may conflict with sites that use a highly coloured home page title. Netflix was an example given.

Yet we the glass loving minority are slightly less wrong today, since the new 10525 build apparently has at least coloured title bars now.

Seems M$ have shot the polar bear look. But haven't budged on the use of solid colours.

Those winds of change, seems the suggestion of regression to a Windows1.0 theme means anything they do can be considered an improvement.

well not but you probably mean Aero in General, since blur would depend on your Glass settings /thankfully) since I dont like blur, I mean what is this? a bathroom?...

Hah, I actually prefer blur, this is why I even started by enabling blur on taskbar. I don‘t know how to do this on Alt + Tab window though. Anyway, I guess that‘s not a big loss as glass is enabled there.

Edited by MDJ

There was an argument/explanation put by Gabe, given that M$ put transparency & blur into most things (start/notifications/volume) EXCEPT the titlebars, BECAUSE it may conflict with sites that use a highly coloured home page title. Netflix was an example given.

So? Give users the option to disable it if it doesn't look good to them.

It reminds me of a fairly recent change on Yahoo's website. The sports section had a dark background and their user feedback indicated it was hard to read. So they changed it to a white background. No notice, no option to change if you want to use dark vs light background. Yahoo's position was that the majority of feedback indicated users preferred the white background so it became that for everyone! :(

Build #160 - probably one of the last development debug builds has been published on my website.

I don't see much of any difference in functionality here with 1.3.2.160.  Whatever you worked on doesn't seem to have broken anything major on my test system.

I see that there a few more "Allocating ... blur" type messages in the dwm.exe debug window now.  I tested on a 3 monitor config and thought I saw a minor visual rectangular glitch when hovering over / off the caption buttons on an IE window, but I couldn't reproduce it again.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Build #160 - probably one of the last development debug builds has been published on my website.

Build 160 works fine in Win10 Build 10525 once all your  warnings are cleared.

Even ModernFrame works except for the Edge browser's top right buttons are invisable but still work.

Also the frame stays black using the black theme.

All in all, I like it.

I'm starting to get my Aero glass just like I had it in Windows 7, and I've had no problems running these builds so far on daily basis. However I've noticed that the engine does have some inconsistency between the title window glass and the added window border transparency.  I mean it's clearly visible to see they do not link seamlessly, as seen in my screenshot:

my_win10_glass.jpg

If you look closely to the top left side of the active window (file explorer one), it is more opaque on the title bar side than on the added margin border surrounding the window. I hope that it can be tweaked somehow. It's more visible on active window but does seem to affect the inactive ones too. :)

Aeroglass in the Modern App Twitter starts out normally, but immediately when the app has finished loading it turns solid, and all buttons disappear.  Notice the difference between The Weather Channel Modern App, and the Twitter Modern App.

screenshot_45.png

Edited by dhjohns

And only one time, the taskbar colour was different from window border (it used the previous wallpaper colorization). Then, everything worked correctly.

I'm pretty sure taskbar and windows border "takes wallpaper color" from different areas.

aero3_zpsk3p05fkx.png

(However, it's not so bad)

Tried also with classic shell closed, same thing (new updates?).

Edited by Hadden

Its amazing that Microsoft removed all the great features of Windows 7 like this Aero and WMC. I have tested Aero Glass, and I hope it could become serious replacement for something Microsoft should have offered built-in!