Windows 10 DEVELOPMENT

bigmuscle

Is this thread going to turn into a "what's great about 10" debate now? If you don't want to use 10 no one is forcing anyone to. I personally believe 10 is the best since 7. 

OMG!!!  The benefits are so many they are impossible to list.  Beginning with boot time, start menu, modern apps, and going way beyond.  Simply the absolutely best OS I have ever used.

The Microsoft shill is strong with this one :P

The boot time "improvements" are because of Hybrid Start which doesn't ever shut your computer off. It never clears the RAM. It's a glorified hibernate. So of course it's going to be faster. You're not cold booting. You're only ever warm booting after that first initial startup. The start menu is infected with Metro. Lastly, what exactly are the benefits of Metro in general? No it's okay, I'll wait.

If there are any good things about Windows 10, they're under-the-hood. where the average user will never see or even know about any such things.

INFECTED WITH METRO???  I love metro!  What are you talking about?  It just starts faster anyway, even without hybrid start.  It is just better all the way around.

Edited by dhjohns

Is this thread going to turn into a "what's great about 10" debate now? If you don't want to use 10 no one is forcing anyone to. I personally believe 10 is the best since 7. 

It is way better than 7.  7 is yesterday's papers.

OMG!!!  The benefits are so many they are impossible to list.  Beginning with boot time, start menu, modern apps, and going way beyond.

I truly understand it is usually a case of everyone having their own favorite way of doing things, and I respect that, but to address your specific "benefits":

Boot time - As ptd163 mentioned, decreased boot time is mainly due to Hybrid boot, essentially being the same as hibernate, which is available in earlier OS.  Since I spend much more time using the running OS than I spend starting it, any further small improvements to Boot time are inconsequential, at least to me.

Start Menu - REALLY a matter of preference, I know, but personally I just don't like the Win8.x+ versions, any of them. Since I know that you like a simple, clean looking Windows Explorer, it really surprises me that you like the look of the newer Start Menu. What advantages does it give you?

Modern Apps - I'm not aware of a single one that provides a function that I need or want. Which Modern Apps do you feel are worthwhile?

I really respect your views and opinions, as I know you respect that of others, I'm just interested in what others find appealing in Windows 10.

Cheers and Regards my friend

Okay, for one, the Start Menu.  In a word USABLE.  It has live tiles, easily customizable groupings, and namings.  No need to scroll through all apps to find something, just click on an alphabet letter, the whole alphabet comes up, and I click on a letter, and woooosh, as if by magic, I am taken there!  What could be better!  Only sex, I think.  

Any way, you missed my whole point on boot time.  Do not think about hybrid boot.  Let us talk about restart which does not use hybrid boot.  It is also way faster.  Way, way faster.  Win 7 takes forever.  You can go take a dump in the amount of time it takes for that to boot, and I am talking about squeaky clean, no malware, no startup items too, so don't try and nab me on that one.  LOL

Also now we talk of Modern Apps, sure I only use a few, but I have tried many, and most are like, totally awesome.  I use the Weather Channel, and Twitter mainly, but I have used news Apps, moon Apps, and various holiday Apps.  They are all exceptional, and well worth it.  If you haven't found one that works for you, then it must really be sad, because they are so very nice.

I think it's the points of view that set people apart on this subject.

When your business depends on something you need different attributes than if you use it primarily for frivolity and entertainment.

Microsoft is exclusively paying attention only to the latter.

-Noel

@dhjohns, Thank you very much for the feedback and the details. :)

Everyone has their own way they prefer to work and what they find to be usable to them.  There's nothing at all wrong with that, and it's a big reason for the problem I've had with MS lately as they have removed choice and customization options from their later OS. :(

I'm not disagreeing that Windows 10 boots faster, it's just that the startup or restart time is such a small percentage of the time that I am interacting with the system that it is a non-issue for me.

Most of the Modern Apps sound like "modern" versions of "gadgets" that used to be available years ago, until MS forced them out to make way for the new apps. :)  So not really new, just newer versions, but still nothing I really need on my desktop.  I'm afraid I'd just be distracted by the "pretty play toys" when I'm trying to get something done.  Nothing against them for those that want them, but they're probably just as distracting as YouTube links for me.

I'm glad that Windows 10 works as it is for you, and that Noel and others have found a way to make it work for them, but we'll just have to agree to disagree as to which OS we prefer.

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt

I really enjoy the new Office Mobile apps. I use Excel and OneNote for work. The new mail/calendar apps are nice. Only thing I don't like about them is you can't select all messages and cant create/delete folders. In due time with enough feedback.

I also really like the ​MSN Weather app. It could have a better radar but no ads and the UI is beautiful and full of info.

I never shut my PC off ​so boot time doesn't matter to me but restarts are certainly fast.

Task View is also very useful for me for work to help separate my windows and reduce clutter.

... the new Office Mobile apps.

OK, at least those are work related apps.

I never shut my PC off ​so boot time doesn't matter to me but restarts are certainly fast.

We're agreed on that.

Task View is also very useful for me for work to help separate my windows and reduce clutter.

Great!  An actual Windows 10 feature!  There are equivalent Virtual Desktop programs that can be used with older versions of Windows, but Task View is built in so that's convenient for those that want that function.

Thanks for the feedback, even if the features you describe are not enough to convince me to switch.  Seriously, I'm glad you like Windows 10 and that it works for you, but I'll still disagree that Windows 10 is the best OS for everyone.

Cheers and Regards

My 2 cents on the offtopic subject.

"Tiles are only good for bathroom floors."

To justify this quote I will mention that there are tens of kilobyte programs that are far better on arranging and shorting things in Windows. And they also look beautiful.

The best one is objectdock plus (not the smallest one though). Another one is fences(clean desktop with a click). And there is also Rainmeter, free of charge and the king of customizable desktops.

The only thing good in the so called "modern" Windows are the lower boot times and even this is debatable.

My 2 cents on the offtopic subject.

You are absolutely correct.  I apologize profusely to bigmuscle for the gaff.  I'm sure that if he identified which recent posts he would like moved, that a moderator would be glad to move them to a more appropriate thread, maybe this one?

Cheers and Regards

There is one big draback with Task View and that's it don't keep / remember program / apps started or a way to let it remember started programs. I shut down the computer every night soo... It's to bad!

Great!  An actual Windows 10 feature!  There are equivalent Virtual Desktop programs that can be used with older versions of Windows, but Task View is built in so that's convenient for those that want that function.

One of this desktop programs is Dexpot. I have use it for many years, and I think it doing a much  better job than win10s task view, doo.