Windows 10 DEVELOPMENT

bigmuscle

For the first time this morning AeroGlass succeeded in downloading the required Symbols for Windows 10 x64 Build 10240, and I'm now suffering from display driver issues and crashes whenever opening up the Start Menu.  

The good news is that bigmuscle now has a more or less RTM build and symbols to work with.  And with the MSMG Toolkit I was able to remove all Modern Apps and Windows components such as Defender, Getting Started, Feedback and Windows Store from the Windows 10 x64 Enterprise installation image.  When I finished my clean installation I was greeted with a Start Menu displaying just two icons, Edge and Cortana!  What a thing of beauty.   Add to that bigmuscle's AeroGlass, the theme files generously provided here and a few tweaks here and there and I just may make the switch from Windows 7.  

Many thanks to all of you here who have helped to make Windows 10 more lean and mean.

Is it common that transparency is lost on 10240 after a minute or so? Closing dwm will repeat the same situation. Also running modern apps like settings will disable transaprency too.

I haven't had those issues.  But I do still have dwm.exe crashes, and no symbols have downloaded for  me.  I don't have transparency up right now do to these annoyances, but I was running the 10130 debug with a custom themeatlas.png.

Well, dhjohns, I'm not sure if the Symbols that were downloaded are the right ones since there's no version information provided when I check each of them.  But I had always left this folder empty up till now and the AeroGlass task claimed it couldn't find them from the Microsoft server.  Let me check the debug log file when I get a chance to make sure.

Edit: You were right, dhjohns, I just deleted the Symbols folder and restarted my system to see if AeroGlass would download them from the server.  No luck.  The pop-up command text states that they couldn't be found.  Must have been a glitch this morning, but I'll put the symbols back just in case.

Edited by ssn650

Is it common that transparency is lost on 10240 after a minute or so? Closing dwm will repeat the same situation. Also running modern apps like settings will disable transaprency too.

You're testing on a virtual machine?

Edited by Slifersky

Well, dhjohns, I'm not sure if the Symbols that were downloaded are the right ones since there's no version information provided when I check each of them.  But I had always left this folder empty up till now and the AeroGlass task claimed it couldn't find them from the Microsoft server.  Let me check the debug log file when I get a chance to make sure.

Edit: You were right, dhjohns, I just deleted the Symbols folder and restarted my system to see if AeroGlass would download them from the server.  No luck.  The pop-up command text states that they couldn't be found.  Must have been a glitch this morning, but I'll put the symbols back just in case.

If they are the right ones, could you upload them, and pm me with a link?

You're testing on a virtual machine?

Yes. But I hadn't got this issue before.

Here the software just found some of the symbols - but not all - and dropped into a DWM crash/reset loop.

Edit:  Actually, looking over debug.log I see that later in one of the reboot loops it successfully got the dwmcore.pdb file downloaded.

Without the Aero Glass toolset I find I've lost all will to run Win 10.  Yes, it means that much.  Big Muscle, if there's anything I can do to help you, please let me know.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Here the software just found some of the symbols - but not all - and dropped into a DWM crash/reset loop.

Edit:  Actually, looking over debug.log I see that later in one of the reboot loops it successfully got the dwmcore.pdb file downloaded.

Without the Aero Glass toolset I find I've lost all will to run Win 10.  Yes, it means that much.  Big Muscle, if there's anything I can do to help you, please let me know.

-Noel

OMG, I see exactly the same thing and feel the same about Win10.

Please help me too, BigMuscle. :yes:

Same here...dwmcore.pdb has just been downloaded but still no sign of the others.  Whenever I open the Start Menu the crashes begin.  Just need to stay away from the Start Menu for now.  Since I use WinLaunch to display all my important programs via a Mac-like Launchpad Utility I can avoid these for now.

Without AeroGlass I wouldn't even consider making the move to Windows 10!  What a difference this ingenious little program makes.

Edit: Ouch, now AeroGlass found another symbol and downloaded it and my system has gone haywire.  Well bigmuscle, it looks like you may have some new symbols to work with after all!

Edited by ssn650

Well, not having AeroGlass will not keep me from Windows 10.  I have been using it exclusively since October, but it sure does make it nice.  Right now I am using a theme which allows me to change the border colors, so at least it is not all white!

OK, I've disabled AeroGlass for now and have 2 of the 3 symbols in case bigmuscle needs them.  Just let me know and I'll upload them again.  I let the system run for quite a while and quite a few dump files were loaded but the 3rd symbol just wouldn't download.