Windows 10 DEVELOPMENT

bigmuscle

debug.txt@bigmuscle -- I have attached my log file.  Crashes occur usually when I have opened a Windows Modern app such as store or Edge.  They occur a lot of the time when I open or move that app to my second monitor.

Do you still have ModernFrame.dll installed?  That's not working at the moment for me, so I've removed it from my AppInit_DLLs registry value.  Perhaps when/if Microsoft publishes symbols for the current build I'll try it again.

-Noel

Just to follow up, I worked WIndows 10 hard all day today doing software development and testing.  Notably I ran ZERO Modern Apps (I had UAC disabled).

The system hung together perfectly.  No DWM crashes.

-Noel

Just to follow up, I worked WIndows 10 hard all day today doing software development and testing.  Notably I ran ZERO Modern Apps (I had UAC disabled).

The system hung together perfectly.  No DWM crashes.

-Noel

Well now I would have predicted that.  But, if you run Windows 10 normally, with Modern Apps (including Edge, and Windows Update) dwm.exe will crash at some point.  I think it also happens more if the App is open on the 2nd monitor, or if there is one already open on the 2nd monitor, and I open one on my Primary monitor, or if I am moving an App from one monitor to another.  This does seem to exacerbate the situation, in any case.

Edited by dhjohns

I'd highly recommend MSMG Toolkit, which can easily be found on the MDL Forums.  Summary:

The MSMG ToolKit is basically a Toolkit to Service, Customize, Add or Remove Features and Components, Enable or Disable Features to Microsoft Windows Operating Systems.

When Windows 10 RTM arrives the ToolKit will surely be updated to support the final version, and you can then remove all Modern Apps from the installation image to get rid of MS bloatware.  Since many of these applications can't be uninstalled from within Windows (such as Xbox), I prefer to remove them completely before installing to ensure no traces remain.  

Although I far prefer Windows 7 as a desktop operating system, sooner or later we'll have to jump ship and with the help of MSMG ToolKit as well as AeroGlass, the transition might not be so bad after all.

Cheers

Since you found the code that shortens the space on an inactive window, can you change it on the fly to render the proper size?

Unfortunately, this won't be so easy because the instruction is placed in the middle of the bit extensive function so it is really difficult (almost impossible) to detect the exact memory location to patch on the fly..

I'd highly recommend MSMG Toolkit, which can easily be found on the MDL Forums.  Summary:

The MSMG ToolKit is basically a Toolkit to Service, Customize, Add or Remove Features and Components, Enable or Disable Features to Microsoft Windows Operating Systems.

When Windows 10 RTM arrives the ToolKit will surely be updated to support the final version, and you can then remove all Modern Apps from the installation image to get rid of MS bloatware.  Since many of these applications can't be uninstalled from within Windows (such as Xbox), I prefer to remove them completely before installing to ensure no traces remain.  

Although I far prefer Windows 7 as a desktop operating system, sooner or later we'll have to jump ship and with the help of MSMG ToolKit as well as AeroGlass, the transition might not be so bad after all.

Cheers

I would not DREAM of doing that!  I use several of the Modern Apps rather extensively.

Thanks ssn650, I'll definitely look into that tool.

I wouldn't mind being able to run Modern Apps but honestly, weighing the balance, the ongoing irritation of being blocked here and there from doing what I need to do is more important to me - and so far in my testing even though they're now able to run in windows there aren't any I want to run.  the only useful one I've seen so far is the Weather App, and I can get every bit of what it does from Weather.com.

I know this makes me not in the norm.  To each his own.

Given the more recent success I've been having running with UAC disabled, I'm going to go back to trying to run with a local account again too.  I suspect Microsoft is finding that these things are important to other business users as well, and are scared of leaving behind their enterprise user base.  Business people don't need the toys.  They need things that facilitate their work.

-Noel

Thanks ssn650, I'll definitely look into that tool.

Business people don't need the toys.  They need things that facilitate their work.

-Noel

I remember when the same thing was said of the "Fisher-Price" Windows XP Operating System.

AeroGlass is working on 10162?

I have no experience with Modern apps but for desktop applications exclusively I find it works reliably, and can be used to facilitate a theme atlas replacement.  Since it's not fully compatible with the latest build there are occasional cosmetic problems - you can sometimes see artifacts in the translucent areas.

The UxThemeSignatureBypass DLLs seem to work, though all I use them for is getting the proper caption coloring for the title bars on ribbon-enabled windows.

AGonWin10.png

-Noel

Remember Settings is a Modern App, and so is Edge.  If you want to personalize your computer, check for updates, or make a change to something you stand the risk of dwm.exe going all weird.  It doesn't happen all the time, but one in ten is frustrating.  It is bad enough to cause the video driver to stop working.  I would need to restart to get my second monitor back.

It actually became so annoying I had to disable it.

Edited by dhjohns

I just brought up the Settings App (which DOES run with UAC off, thanks for pointing that out) more than 10 times in a row, and explored all the sections.  No problems seen, it was absolutely stable.  It's possible you have an issue that's specific to your system (e.g., because of your particular display driver or something), or that one of the Apps you run and that I am not running somehow triggers it.

I am seeing a few entries in the Reliability Monitor for failures of the Windows Shell Experience Host, but they don't seem to manifest on the desktop as DWM crashes, but rather the opening of an extra Explorer window now and then.  It doesn't reset the desktop like a DWM crash would.

-Noel