Windows 10 DEVELOPMENT

bigmuscle

Not that kind of blur, but the default one. 

Default blur is

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Themes\Personalize]

"EnableBlurBehind"=dword:00000001

That's the problem, the value is ignored. There is blur on start menu and some other ares but not on taskbar, so I tried to disable the blur completely to fit with the whole theme but EnableBlurBehind is ignored.

Edited by Tusticles

FYI, to the best of my knowledge Microsoft has delivered their "native blur" to only about half the recipients of the Win 10 preview builds.

I guess they're looking to get overwhelmingly more positive feedback from one group than the other, before they choose to abandon the concept.

But it's a flawed test.  Without a full Aero Glass theme implementation - which anyone who knows anything realizes goes beyond just the translucency - what Microsoft has done is just stupid.  They didn't bother with Window borders, and their implementation is poor by comparison to that from Windows 7 or Big Muscle's Aero Glass.  It's a bit like "throwing users a bone" with no meat on it.

If you're one of the folks with no blur, I suggest using the Feedback App to request the resurrection of Aero Glass - though chances are it'll make no difference.  Microsoft is confusing having their heads up their rear ends with leadership.

For Classic Shell users, see also:  http://www.classicshell.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4755&p=20064#p20064

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

FYI, to the best of my knowledge Microsoft has delivered their "native blur" to only about half the recipients of the Win 10 preview builds.

I guess they're looking to get overwhelmingly more positive feedback from one group than the other, before they choose to abandon the concept.

But it's a flawed test.  Without a full Aero Glass theme implementation - which anyone who knows anything realizes goes beyond just the translucency - what Microsoft has done is just stupid.  They didn't bother with Window borders, and their implementation is poor by comparison to that from Windows 7 or Big Muscle's Aero Glass.  It's a bit like "throwing users a bone" with no meat on it.

If you're one of the folks with no blur, I suggest using the Feedback App to request the resurrection of Aero Glass - though chances are it'll make no difference.  Microsoft is confusing having their heads up their rear ends with leadership.

-Noel

Nope, must be a bug, it worked just fine in the previous versions, in 10147, 10158 and 10159 the taskbar is not blurred, but the start menu and other areas are :|

Maybe Microsoft is just looking to see if you complain about it being gone.  But seriously, what makes you think you should see it work the same way in two different builds?  50% random chance doesn't mean you'll see it every other time, either.

FYI, I disabled Big Muscle's Aero Glass entirely and the Windows native Taskbar blur is still not there.  If it's a bug, it's not with Big Muscle's code.

-Noel

Maybe Microsoft is just looking to see if you complain about it being gone.  But seriously, what makes you think you should see it work the same way in two different builds?  50% random chance doesn't mean you'll see it every other time, either.

FYI, I disabled Big Muscle's Aero Glass entirely and the Windows native Taskbar blur is still not there.  If it's a bug, it's not with Big Muscle's code.

-Noel

Why would they disable it on taskbar only? :|

Anyway, I can't send feedback for some reason :(

Edited by Tusticles

@NoelC, is your taskbar blurred?

Mine is!  

:( mine not

Do you have EnableBlurBehind DWORD under  HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Themes\Personalize?

I only have this problem on this new build, worked just fine in 10130 :(

Is that supposed to make the taskbar blurry too? My start menu is blurry but not the taskbar.

(not running aero glass atm)

EDIT:

I left feedback and reported is as a bug to msft. I saw someone else mentioning that build 10158 got the same problem.

Edited by shelter

Do you have EnableBlurBehind DWORD under  HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Themes\Personalize?

I only have this problem on this new build, worked just fine in 10130 :(

Is that supposed to make the taskbar blurry too?

Yes

This is 10158 and your atlas theme thanks NoelC

Looks as though now they're drawing the caption buttons taller, relative to the title bar height.  I really liked them shorter, so I've changed the graphics a little.  I've had ZERO time to test this, but it might make the caption buttons a little less awkwardly positioned...  Chances are I still need to move some things around, but here you go:

Noel, were you able to change caption button height by some settings or is it only hack by making the button image smaller in the atlas?

I'm asking because it seems that it accepts registry settings in "WindowMetrics\CaptionHeight" but it does not take the real value. It is probably (not exactly) double of used value and value "CaptionHeight" influences both height and weight. Value "CaptionWidth" seems to be ignored.

I lowered the height of the title bar via the following registry entries, which were originally saved from a Windows 7 system:

http://Noel.ProDigitalSoftware.com/ForumPosts/Win81/SetWindowMetrics.reg

And I admit I didn't experiment with those values - I just made the button graphics a few pixels shorter in order to leave a little room above the client area.

The positioning of the -, [ ], and X graphics inside the button outlines isn't perfect in build 10159...  Sometimes it's centered vertically and sometimes it's a bit below the centerline.

-Noel

Since Build 10147 the taskbar hasn't been blurred even if you switch it on. But using BM aeroglass with Classic Shell makes the taskbar blurred

Except that Ivo has just removed that setting from Classic Shell version 4.2.2, and he seems so far convinced it doesn't need to be put back, because apparently he gets the blur on his own system from Windows itself.  I posted a link to a discussion on that about 10 posts up in this thread.

-Noel

Anyone still running build 10130 and could provide ApplicationFrame.dll, I forgot to back it up before upgrade. PM me, please - don't send in public. Got it, thanks.

Edited by bigmuscle

Seems like 10162 uses the same theme atlas layout of 10159.

Aero Glass has occasional artifacts (for the reasons Big Muscle identified above) and ModernFrame doesn't yet work (symbols are not yet available).

AGonWin10.png

-Noel