Windows 10 DEVELOPMENT

bigmuscle

so you cant even change the color now?

I did never think that I say this b4 I got Win8 with all my mods, but if this continues I'm going to stay with Win8

The option to select between the default range of colors is still available under Settings, but I couldn't find the optional color  and intensity sliders anywhere in the Control Panel.  I agree with Noel and am staying with Windows 7 as my primary virtual machine under OS X, but hope we'll be able to find the necessary "hidden" registry entries needed to add some personalisation beyond the default drab Microsoft seems to prefer.  AeroGlass ist a must as well of course!

I also wasn't able to find the option in Local Security Policy to disable Windows Defender in the new build, by the way, so clearly we're being led down an ever narrowing path with each release.  I fear a Local Account will no longer be a possibility with the final version.

I disabled Defender the same way I always do.  It is in gpedit.msc in the very same place it always has been.  I am sure local account will be possible in final build, but you have to ask yourself "Why would I do that?" given all the added benefits of an MS account.

Thanks dhjohns, I guess I gave up too early.  The point is it shouldn't be that difficult.  In earlier Windows 10 TP Builds Windows Defender could be disabled directly from the Control Panel.  

Build 10125 got leaked. Tried it out for a few. It seems pretty ok. It's a shame I don't see the change color setting anymore in Control Panel. However since I used it a lot in Build 10122, A shortcut to the original colorization is available to me. Not sure now, but I can still change my colors again.

Edited by DoubleSAnimations

Build 10125 got leaked. Tried it out for a few. It seems pretty ok. It's a shame I don't see the change color setting anymore in Control Panel. However since I used it a lot in Build 10122, A shortcut to the original colorization is available to me. Not sure now, but I can still change my colors again.

What do you mean you can still change colors? You can change the color of window borders in 10125?

What do you mean you can still change colors? You can change the color of window borders in 10125?

Somehow, yeah. Since I used this so much it was in my jumplists. Even after the removal of the link in the Control Panel.

Screenshot A : I pinned the "Change color of your taskbar shortcut" here.

Bhlu5uz.png

Screenshot B : The link to "change the color of the taskbar" has been removed from here. Yet, the pinned shortcut in the above screenshot still works.

cXYVkMi.png

Screenshot C: Color Appearence still works, but I can't make a shortcut to the desktop by dragging "Color and Appearence" text.

ku0VGvm.png

Thanks for that.  Classic Shell will find that by searching for "change the color" in the search box...

Though the bad news is it only changes the color in the Taskbar for me.  It looks like for you as well - your window has a white title bar like those I'm seeing.

-Noel

Thanks for that.  Classic Shell will find that by searching for "change the color" in the search box...

Though the bad news is it only changes the color in the Taskbar for me.  It looks like for you as well - your window has a white title bar like those I'm seeing.

-Noel

Actually...  even though it has the white title bar. The frame itself has a 1 pixel border around the entire frame of the chosen aero color.

qCmOOoo.png

doesnt rly make it better

I never said it did, I'm just pointing that out. XD.

I wish the title bar had that same transparency and blur like the Start Menu and Taskbar do.

Also the Notification Center and Network Connection menu have the blur effect in build 10125.

That one pixel colored border is visually lost if you have anything other than a light colored background.

The need for a good theme (or Big Muscle's software) is illustrated by the following A / B comparison.  Which of these looks like a usable OS and which looks like a noisy collection of thin lines making you concentrate to figure out where the windows are?

UI1.png

UI3.png

I can't figure out why Microsoft would be exposing such sloppy, shoddy work to the world.  It's no longer the 1970s.  Hell, I don't even commit software back to my code management system until I have it working better than that. 

Their people must be REALLY young / inexperienced / untrained / stupid to be making the kinds of basic mistakes they've been showing off.  Earlier today I booted up Win 10 and had Windows Update tell me that the system was up to date and the last check was "Today, 9:18 PM".  Trouble is, it was 9:13 AM at the time.

TimeConfusion.png

-Noel

That one pixel colored border is visually lost if you have anything other than a light colored background.

The need for a good theme (or Big Muscle's software) is illustrated by the following A / B comparison.  Which of these looks like a usable OS and which looks like a noisy collection of thin lines making you concentrate to figure out where the windows are?

I can't figure out why Microsoft would be exposing such sloppy, shoddy work to the world.  It's no longer the 1970s.  Hell, I don't even commit software back to my code management system until I have it working better than that. 

Their people must be REALLY young / inexperienced / untrained / stupid to be making the kinds of basic mistakes they've been showing off.  Earlier today I booted up Win 10 and had Windows Update tell me that the system was up to date and the last check was "Today, 9:18 PM".  Trouble is, it was 9:13 AM at the time.

-Noel

I've noticed it's hard to tell the difference between an Active and Inactive window for the most part, until the UI's been tweaked with, as seen in the second screenshot. Well I suppose we have yet to see what other changes they make to the UI within the next 2 months before Windows 10 hits RTM. I miss customizing my windows themes already. Lol.

.....The heck is with that time difference? I seriously hope that gets fixed. I've never seen that before.

.....The heck is with that time difference? I seriously hope that gets fixed. I've never seen that before.

It's what happens when you have (clearly inexperienced) people reinvent the wheel.

Of course I reported it via Feedback, but should a beta tester have ever seen that in the first place?

Thing is, back in the late 70s when I graduated college I had already written programs that did time and date management, and would not have made such a basic mistake.  Microsoft must be employing some real no-talent people - and at multiple levels - to allow something like that to get out to the public.  Where is their code review?  Unit testing?  System testing?

I have this terrible, sinking feeling that good engineering practices have been thrown out on the premise that Windows is now free, so they don't have to treat the engineering with any kind of seriousness.

It begs the question:  What else in the OS has been done this badly?

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

It's what happens when you have (clearly inexperienced) people reinvent the wheel.

Of course I reported it via Feedback, but should a beta tester have ever seen that in the first place?

Thing is, back in the late 70s when I graduated college I had already written programs that did time and date management, and would not have made such a basic mistake.  Microsoft must be employing some real no-talent people - and at multiple levels - to allow something like that to get out to the public.  Where is their code review?  Unit testing?  System testing?

I have this terrible, sinking feeling that good engineering practices have been thrown out on the premise that Windows is now free, so they don't have to treat the engineering with any kind of seriousness.

It begs the question:  What else in the OS has been done this badly?

-Noel

All i have to say is wow. Also, what build was this where the bug happened. 10122 I assume? I'm not sure how worse it's going to get with Windows 10. I still may just get Windows 10 regardless.