Windows 10 DEVELOPMENT

bigmuscle

You can install Classic Shell to run "legacy" desktop applications.  It seems to work, except now for me the Metro "Apps" are missing from its menu (not really a problem for me).

Anyone know a good way to start the Settings App from a shortcut (e.g., by running a particular executable)?  Just running SystemSettings.exe seems to do nothing.  I can get there indirectly through Programs > Windows System > Devices, which starts something like Windows.immersivecontrolpanel_sw5n1h2txyewylm.

This gives me an incentive to try out the system without UAC (EnableLUA = 0).  Some things, like clicking the gear icon at the bottom of the Notifications slide-in emit an error "can't start with UAC disabled", but pretty much everything else seems to work.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Here's a theme atlas that works with 10061, if you're running Aero Glass in "fallback" mode...

http://Noel.ProDigitalSoftware.com/ForumPosts/Win10/10061/RoundedCorners.png

Thanks for the ThemeAtlas, NoelC.  Since I have Photoshop I was able to change the colors on the minimize, maximize, and close buttons so they even change color when hovering over with the mouse.  Once again, thank you very much.  I like that blue color, and I use your registry tweaks to get the borders nice, too!  :thumbup  :thumbup  :thumbup

If anyone is interested here is a link to it.https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzcGiST4r9lnNjk3a2xBc05RWVk/view?usp=sharing

Edited by dhjohns

For me, the biggest problem is that Start menu will not often open at all and search bar/results do not react on mouse click. And this problem appears in any build after 9926. But on the other side, the last build seems faster.

I'm actually upset at Windows 10 for the moment. My system updated to build 10061 without my knowledge and I do not like that. I want to be the one to tell it to update itself, so I can schedule the event. What if something breaks? I mean I am very happy to see that it successfully did so without any errors or problems of any kind, but to me that seems like I got lucky. 10061 runs really good here, but I hope it does not do that again.

I put myself on the slow ring again and hope from now on it lets me choose when builds get updated and installed. lol

You can install Classic Shell to run "legacy" desktop applications.  It seems to work, except now for me the Metro "Apps" are missing from its menu (not really a problem for me).

Anyone know a good way to start the Settings App from a shortcut (e.g., by running a particular executable)?  Just running SystemSettings.exe seems to do nothing.  I can get there indirectly through Programs > Windows System > Devices, which starts something like Windows.immersivecontrolpanel_sw5n1h2txyewylm.

This gives me an incentive to try out the system without UAC (EnableLUA = 0).  Some things, like clicking the gear icon at the bottom of the Notifications slide-in emit an error "can't start with UAC disabled", but pretty much everything else seems to work.

-Noel

If you use classic shell go to settings -> customize start menu and add a custom item from the right column, now configure the custom item like this

explorer.exe as a command and shell:Appsfolder\windows.immersivecontrolpanel_cw5n1h2txyewy!microsoft.windows.immersivecontrolpanel as a link

If you type shell:Appsfolder\ in the link field, you should see all apps :)

If you don't use classic shell, you can create a new shortcut with the following target for Settings app

explorer.exe shell:Appsfolder\windows.immersivecontrolpanel_cw5n1h2txyewy!microsoft.windows.immersivecontrolpanel

You can also type shell:Appsfolder in run dialog or file explorer address bar to see all apps, then you can right click any app listed there and create a shorcut...

Edited by Tusticles

I'm actually upset at Windows 10 for the moment. My system updated to build 10061 without my knowledge and I do not like that. I want to be the one to tell it to update itself, so I can schedule the event.

Welcome to the era of "Microsoft knows best".

Here's what you can do:

• Run gpedit.msc.
  • Go into Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update.
  • Open Confitgure Automatic Updates.
  • Set it to 2 - Notify for download and notify for install.
  • I also enabled the Turn on Software Notifications setting, though I'm not sure that's strictly necessary.

Thanks for the info, Tusticles, though for some reason all I could get Classic Shell to open with the suggested custom button was an Explorer window pointed to This PC.

-Noel

I'm actually upset at Windows 10 for the moment. My system updated to build 10061 without my knowledge and I do not like that. I want to be the one to tell it to update itself, so I can schedule the event.

Welcome to the era of "Microsoft knows best".

Here's what you can do:

• Run gpedit.msc.
  • Go into Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update.
  • Open Confitgure Automatic Updates.
  • Set it to 2 - Notify for download and notify for install.
  • I also enabled the Turn on Software Notifications setting, though I'm not sure that's strictly necessary.

Thanks for the info, Tusticles, though for some reason all I could get Classic Shell to open with the suggested custom button was an Explorer window pointed to This PC.

-Noel

Did you copied the line I posted or you selected the settings app from the link field? Type shell:Appsfolder\ in the link field and select the settings app (immersive control panel) from the dropdown menu.

--edit--

The dev of classic shell should fix this because it works if you right click the menu item and select Open, but it doesn't if you click it :|

Edited by Tusticles

Yes, it does open the Settings App on right-click, Open. 

Edit:  Figured out why:  You need to put the entire path (explorer.exe shell:Appsfolder\windows.immersivecontrolpanel_cw5n1h2txyewy!microsoft.windows.immersivecontrolpanel) in the Command field, which is what's executed when you left click on an entry.  You're not defining parts of a command, you're defining the command to be executed on click, or the folder to be scanned to create a submenu.

And yes, I got shell:Appsfolder\ to work.

As an experiment, I was also able to add that as a menu, and it made one big honkin' menu with apparently everything that would normally appear in the All Apps start screen.  That's not really that useful, except maybe in a pinch when you can't find something any other way, but it's an interesting curiosity nonetheless...

AllApplications.png

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Windows 10 Build 10061.

How is your version expiring on 2/10/2015 ? when its already April 2015, anyway my 10061 reads that it expires on 10/1/2015.

~DP

Probably European Australian date.  2 October 2015.

Edited by dhjohns

How is your version expiring on 2/10/2015 ?... my 10061 reads that it expires on 10/1/2015.

Dave seems to get an extra day for being on the other side of the International Date Line, but look carefully at the time.  I'm thinking, though listed in the local time zone, the expiration time must be represented internally by a UTC-based time/date, so they all expire worldwide at the same instant.

Mine expires October 1, 2015 at 7:59 PM Eastern Standard Time.

-Noel

How is your version expiring on 2/10/2015 ?... my 10061 reads that it expires on 10/1/2015.

Dave seems to get an extra day for being on the other side of the International Date Line, but look carefully at the time.  I'm thinking, though listed in the local time zone, the expiration time must be represented internally by a UTC-based time/date, so they all expire worldwide at the same instant.

Mine expires October 1, 2015 at 7:59 PM Eastern Standard Time.

-Noel

Sort of like Y2K all over again!  LOL

Windows 10 Build 10061.

How is your version expiring on 2/10/2015 ? when its already April 2015, anyway my 10061 reads that it expires on 10/1/2015.

~DP

You should know European which Australia is in it region has a date formate as Day/Month/Year

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Date_format_by_country

Thanks for the explanation, getting short term memory lost.

~DP  :w00t:

Edited by DosProbie