Windows 10 DEVELOPMENT

bigmuscle

If you take the approach that the place that "Metro" apps are best used are on phones or tablets with screens that are smaller than what are typically found on a desktop PC or larger laptop, then that behavior of those Apps to default to the full height of the screen becomes expected and even acceptable in those situations.  Now if the app developer wants to have users use those Apps on larger screens, then indeed the height and width of the App window should be able to be specified and/or adjusted by the user.

Cheers and Regards

why do we have scrollbars?

In Win8 I use modernmix to do what win10 does (put apps in windows) and i can make the PC settings smaller without a problem, just some nice scroll bars...

If you take the approach that the place that "Metro" apps are best used are on phones or tablets with screens that are smaller than what are typically found on a desktop PC or larger laptop, then that behavior of those Apps to default to the full height of the screen becomes expected and even acceptable in those situations.  Now if the app developer wants to have users use those Apps on larger screens, then indeed the height and width of the App window should be able to be specified and/or adjusted by the user.

Cheers and Regards

why do we have scrollbars?

In Win8 I use modernmix to do what win10 does (put apps in windows) and i can make the PC settings smaller without a problem, just some nice scroll bars...

Me too!

well I'll compare the bar heights later (I use a whole different theme)

but one thing we seriously need is to kill off the min height of Apps, I mean II can slim them down like hell, but they are always taking almost the fuull height of my screen (1600x900) -> annoying

There are registry settings that ApplicationFrameHost reads the first time it starts that can both scale everything about Apps as well as lift the minimum size restriction.  Whether that will make them look better on a 1600 x 900 display is not clear...

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/173477-windows-10-tips-tricks-and-tweaks/#entry1094489

-Noel

Just reporting your ModernFrame.dll with Apps is working great, finally allowing my theme buttons to show up!
~DP :thumbup
Modern_F_Custom_Theme.jpg

Modern Frame Removal for Win10

Since Windows 10 has not been released yet, I'm not creating separate topic for this but putting it into this one. I'm going away for a fey days so I'm leaving you here small unfinished tool which removes that ugly grey title bar on windowed modern applications. Currently, there are some limitations:

• only 64-bit debug build
  • it is intended for testing only and not for regular usage (use it on your risk and don't complain about console window)
  • it needs to be injected via old AppInit_DLLs registry value = secure boot off (you can check my website guide)
  • symbol file for ApplicationFrame.dll needs to be present - if you install into Aero Glass folder (where dbghelp.dll and symsrv.dll is present), it will do it automatically
  • fullscreen is not handled correctly - no button to switch to fullscreen, no overlay titlebar in fullscreen
  • plain backgrounds on modern applications are not rendered at all - you will probably see completely black instead of specific color (e.g. in modern application splash screen)
  • probably more buggy than I think :-D
  • no icon on titlebar, because I don't know how to get icon for modern application (regular WM_GETICON does not work)

Just kill ApplicationFrameHost.exe after install.

Download link

Just reporting your ModernFrame.dll with Apps is working great, finally allowing my theme buttons to show up!

How do you get the theme buttons to work on the apps. For me it doesn't work

Use actual modified visual style (*.msstyles) not just CustomThemeAtlas function of AeroGlass.

Use actual modified visual style (*.msstyles) not just CustomThemeAtlas function of AeroGlass.

If I'm correct a theme patcher is required for .msstyles themes

If I'm correct a theme patcher is required for .msstyles themes

Maybe "UxStyle" can help.

Edited by Slifersky

Yep I personally can confirm that 'UxStyle' will brick your Win10 system, I used 'UltraUXThemePatcher_2.5.2.exe' without any issues on my custom visual style theme.

also, My1 are you referring to injecting the theme with the 'UxThemeSignatureBypassAero.dll' file?

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/170945-uxtheme-signature-bypass/

~DP

UxStyle? certainly not, it bugged my Win10 rather often

rather use BM's DLL and put that in AppInit_DLLs (seperate with space or comma so no spaces in path)

in my case it's named UxThemeSignatureBypass64.dll and I got it from the DOwnload section of glass8.eu

the only problem I have is that when I boot WIn10 with a custom theme enabled I have to switch back and restart explorer for anything to work

I tried UxStyle_0241_x86_x64_rel2_preview, UltraUXThemePatcher 2.5.4, UXTheme Multi-Patcher 14.1, and BigMuscles UxThemeSignatureBypass. All causes my explorer to stuff up. But all works on Win10 9926 x86 but not x64