Windows 10 DEVELOPMENT

bigmuscle

I returned back to my computer and checked the DLL... and now I will look like an as*****... visual studio compiled the DLL into different folder so I uploaded wrong DLL :whistle:

reuploaded :angel

Thankyou bigmuscle, and don't worry about it.  We all make mistakes.  It is working beautifully now!  Wonderful!!!!   :yes:  :yes:  :yes:

screenshot_8.png

Now THAT looks like a MODERN app...

Someone should tweet that to Gabe Aul, with the title "What a Modern App Should Look Like". LOL

I LIKE it! thanks for the screenshot dhjohns and bm for providing this..

ps: dhjohns since there have been issues enabling this feature you may want to provide a step by step tutorial for others.

~DP

No issues at all.  Just follow these instructions --

1.  Download ModernFrame.7z (the real DLL is now there) from Big Muscle's link, as provided in post 192.

2.  Extract  ModernFrame.dll and save it into the C:\AeroGlass folder (if you have the other file already there just replace it.)

3.  Open RegEdit and navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows

4.  Add C:\AeroGlass\ModernFrame.dll to the AppInit_DLLs value.  In my case it was empty to start with.

5.  Change the LoadAppInit_DLLs value to:  0x00000001

6.  Reboot or Log out then back in.

7.  Start any Modern App.  In my case the The Weather Channel App.

You will see an extra CMD window showing symbols downloading, etc.  Just minimize this along with the normal debug window!

Thanks Djohns and My1 ! Just sounds like a lot of rig-a-mo-roe manually, perfect situation for a script installer tho..

~DP :sneaky:

no problem, but I dont think you can turn off secure boot in a script installer (lol)

I assume you need it since the theme SIg override also needed it off...

also require Signed AppinitDLls or whatever should also be off or it probably wont work as well, have to try that when I have time, especially secure Boot since you cant really use that on VMs...

no problem, but I dont think you can turn off secure boot in a script installer (lol)

I assume you need it since the theme SIg override also needed it off...

also require Signed AppinitDLls or whatever should also be off or it probably wont work as well, have to try that when I have time, especially secure Boot since you cant really use that on VMs...

Well am using a 'older' laptop to do all my testing on so secure boot is a non-issue otherwise Yes it would have to be disabled in the bios..

~DP

probably dhjohns didnt run in this problem as well (old PC or VM) and therefor he forgot to state this in his mini-tut, I remembered this from the theme patch, as well as the signed AppInit thing, so I stated it, I usually remember problems I run into  more often

Thanks BigMuscle. It works for me on a modernapp. Now just need NoelC to do his wonders on the modernapp to make the buttons smaller as he has done on explorer.

I wish I could find a setting that affects the title bar height, but so far, no luck.  It may be hard-coded inside ApplicationFrameHost.  Or I may just not have found it yet.

For what it's worth, this is as good as I've been able to get it to look so far...

MetroAppsWithTranslucentBorders.png

Thank you, Big Muscle, for the updated DLL.  :)

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

well I'll compare the bar heights later (I use a whole different theme)

but one thing we seriously need is to kill off the min height of Apps, I mean II can slim them down like hell, but they are always taking almost the fuull height of my screen (1600x900) -> annoying

If you take the approach that the place that "Metro" apps are best used are on phones or tablets with screens that are smaller than what are typically found on a desktop PC or larger laptop, then that behavior of those Apps to default to the full height of the screen becomes expected and even acceptable in those situations.  Now if the app developer wants to have users use those Apps on larger screens, then indeed the height and width of the App window should be able to be specified and/or adjusted by the user.

Cheers and Regards

I wish I could find a setting that affects the title bar height, but so far, no luck.  It may be hard-coded inside ApplicationFrameHost.  Or I may just not have found it yet.

Unfortunately, all values are hardcoded in ApplicationFrame.dll, only a few values are read from theme settings.