How to prevent computer from turning off while shutting down?

Andrew T.

How do I configure Windows 2000 so that when I shut down, it prompts me with a "It's now safe to turn off the computer" screen instead of turning off the computer automatically?

With Windows 95, I was able to banish this "feature" by disabling Energy Saver Mode in the CMOS setup...but in Windows 2000, that makes no difference.  No Advanced Power Management tab appears in Control Panel's Power Options, so there's nothing to configure there, and there are few other power-related options in CMOS.  The computer itself is a circa-2000 Compaq Deskpro EN.

I suppose I'm an anomaly, but I've always found it insulting to be revoked of the ability to turn off my own computer.

There is a group policy setting for this in Windows XP with Service Pack 1 onward. I tried copying its registry value over to Windows 2000, and it didn't work. But it didn't work on XP either, maybe Virtual PC is to blame.

Just in case you want it, here's the registry value from Windows XP:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT]"DontPowerOffAfterShutdown"=dword:00000001

Well, derp. This is what I get for being a lazy reader.

This setting allows you to configure whether power is automatically turned off when Windows shutdown completes. This setting does not effect Windows shutdown behavior when shutdown is manually selected using the Start menu or Task Manager user interfaces. Applications such as UPS software may rely on Windows shutdown behavior. This setting is only applicable when Windows shutdown is initiated by software programs invoking the Windows programming interfaces ExitWindowsEx() or InitiateSystemShutdown(). If you enable this setting, the computer system will be safely shutdown, and remain in a powered state, ready for power to be safely removed. If you disable or do not configure this setting, the computer system will safely shutdown to a fully powered-off state.

For some reason, it will only show the "It is now safe to shut down your computer" screen if Windows is shut down by non-standard means.

Good news though: Even though this group policy setting is not present in Windows 2000, simply copying its registry value over to Windows 2000 will give the same result.

It_Is_Now_Safe_to_Turn_Off_Windows_2000.

I achieved that by entering "shutdown.exe -s -t 00" into the run prompt, as opposed to clicking shut down in the start menu.

That would be the HAL layer that's already installed.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810903

If you want that screen, you'll have to change the HAL to "Standard PC".

edit - Here's a hint -

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/94410-multiple-hals-on-1-ghost-image/

...and more specific file information -

http://www.vernalex.com/guides/sysprep/hal.shtml

Be aware that Standard PC can be changed *back* via Device Manager, whereas the reverse is not true.

Swap the HAL files, change the BOOT.INI, select the alternate, confirm that a file swap occured. If it didn't, manually swap them, reboot and test the Primary selection functions the way you want, then restore the original BOOT.INI.

I had changed from Single Core to Dual Core, put the Dual Core HAL in System32, changed the BOOT.INI, booted and it automagically swapped them. Put the original BOOT.INI back and I was done. This will *not* be the case ("automagic") for you because you're *forcing* yourself "backwards" to Non-ACPI.

HTH

reference - http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/172203-advice-on-a-64bit-system-upgrade/#entry1083292

Edited by submix8c

Thanks!  Since I was reinstalling Win2000 anyway, I hit F5 during setup and had the OS configure itself around a "Standard PC" HAL.

Two caveats:  Unlike in Windows 9x, you cannot reboot Win2000 from the shutdown screen by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del.  And the screen itself is very clinical in appearance...nothing like the soothing orange and black of 9x.  I wonder if it's possible to customize it?

HUH???

http://windowsitpro.com/systems-management/how-can-i-enabledisable-ctrl-alt-del-enter-logon-information

Turn it off to "get rid of" the CTRL-ALT-DEL. You'll go directly to the Logon.

In either case, click "Options". Now you get a "Shutdown" button. Click it. See? You can select Shutdown *or* Restart in a pull-down.

HTH

HUH???

http://windowsitpro.com/systems-management/how-can-i-enabledisable-ctrl-alt-del-enter-logon-information

Turn it off to "get rid of" the CTRL-ALT-DEL. You'll go directly to the Logon.

In either case, click "Options". Now you get a "Shutdown" button. Click it. See? You can select Shutdown *or* Restart in a pull-down.

I'm not sure what that has to do with my statement...

I was pointing out that in Windows 9x, it's possible to reboot a computer by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del from the "Safe to Turn Off" screen (much the same as doing so from a DOS prompt), whereas Windows 2000 lacks this ability.  If you shut down and then change your mind, there's no way out.

I know what you mean. Changing the look of that screen may or may not be straight forward. It will probably involve replacing resources in system files.

As far as adding in the missing Ctrl-Alt-Del functionality, I'm not sure. I'm guessing that it works in Windows 95 because that screen runs in real mode, because it's basically DOS, as opposed to the protected mode that Windows 2000 would run in since it's NT based. That's just a guess though.

Edited by MrMaguire

FYI... Wint2000 and up do *not* have that ability. That's strictly a Win9x function.

Trust me, you're wasting your time. Even in XP/2K3/Vist/Win7/(etc) you have to select the same thing. They are *not* DOS-based, so it won't happen. Period!

As for "Safe to turn off..." that's *stricltly* the diffrence between an ACPI-aware PC/OS and one that is not. That subject has already been answered and relates to the HAL (ACPI vs Standard PC). You're really barking up the wrong tree.

FYI, if you select "Shut Down", then DUH, down you go, even with Win9x (using ACPI)! I've already described it and given links. Shut Down is Shut Down. Restart is Restart. Pick one on the Pull-Down. It's there, whether you use it or not is up to you. I've already done this on my Win2K-Pro test bed. I'ts and NT OS, not a DOS-based OS. End of story.

As for changing the Bitmaps, that *may* be possible.

(sheesh...)

P.S. - I have several test beds (OS's) under VPC (on Server2K3) , so it's relatively easy to check stuff out.

edit - Install Win9x using ACPI (not APM) in the BIOS, with an ACPI-aware Win9x. See what happense when you select "Shut Down". - BOOM down you go, ther is *no* "It's now safe..." screen. Same as NT-style (all of them...).

EDIT2 - Here, let me help you out.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810903

As stated, you will *not* get what you want because... NT-style! No CTRL-ALT-DEL at that screen for Reboot.

Alternatively, figure out how to roll-your-own of something *like* this -

http://www.stefan-kuhr.de/cms/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=59&Itemid=70

Happy Programming! ;)

Edited by submix8c

Please read the edits. I was being *somewhat* rude because I had already explained. Further info was just provided. I fully understood the Q and provided the *only* answer(s). The OP is *somewhat* newish and apparently doesn't understand NT-style OS's. I would have hoped further reading would have explained, so I gave more.

Why argue with facts?

I fully understood the Q and provided the *only* answer(s).

Why argue with facts?

No you don't this time.

MrMaguire is not arguing about facts, but about style. (sheesh... and stuffs). :angel

No need to be rude, ever. 

[... ] the missing Ctrl-Alt-Del functionality [...] it works in Windows 95 because that screen runs in real mode, because it's basically DOS, as opposed to the protected mode that Windows 2000 would run in since it's NT based. That's just a guess though.

Yes! At that point, Win 95 is already ended, and the machine is back to real mode, and the BIOS is again servicing the KBD interrupt, and that includes rebooting on <Ctrl><Alt><Del>, since the original IBM PC BIOS. The NT-OSes,OTOH, do not bother to handle control back to BIOS, when they're shut down.

OK, I apologize. :blushing:

Thanks! <-Your welcome. ;)
<snip>
Two caveats: Unlike in Windows 9x, you cannot reboot Win2000 from the shutdown screen by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del.
<snip>
I wonder if it's possible to customize it?

As far as adding in the missing Ctrl-Alt-Del functionality, I'm not sure.

Please note that "Edits" were done Post-MrMaguire post (done while I was editing). So, I *did* provide links and a basic explanation (a bit late), amirite? :unsure:

Nonetheless, perhaps a misunderstanding of the "two caveats" - sounded like the OP was insisting that something should/could be done on point #1 (hence "facts are facts").  

(This year has started pretty poorly - so, my bad. :yes: )

Andrew T., it's time for a new topic with a new Windows2000 subject. I'll be more prudent in the future. :thumbup

Sounds like a good point to use the Reset button if you have changed your mind about powering off.

(However pre-fab computer manufacturers have this nasty annoying habit of not providing such a button. Moral of the story - always build your own computers and avoid prefab junk... lol :angel )